DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:14 PM

Default Drummers learning guitar

I am thinking of buying a nice guitar to learn at least the basics of playing rhythm guitar.
Has anybody done something similar? Everytime I take a guitar in my hands I feel like a complete idiot. What's been the biggest challenge as a drummer who tried to learn guitar? Has it improved your playing on drums or your ability to compose in any way?

Edit: dammit... I realised I probably didn't chose the right section. Can somebody move it please? :/ sorry!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drummers learning guitar

ktz, listen - and listen well ;-)
xle89w9024oidsweru()"/"8!!!49s8094w5354 !!!!! (One day I'll create a contributon on this for the meme thread...)
What I was trying to say was... Search function... you get it? Ever heard of? Fine ;-)

BTW, although users can't move their threads what you could do (next time) is to copy your post, delete it, go to the appropriate section and recreate your thread there. Just for info.

- - -

PFOG - thanks a lot! Haha.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
BTW, although users can't move their threads [...]
They can't? I can move all my own threads. Am I special?
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
They can't? I can move all my own threads. Am I special?
Oh... I was wrong. Sorry - never used that function (when having regular member status) and wasn't aware of it.

Yes, they can.
Yes, you _are_ special. For taking the time, creating a snapshot and clearing things up.
Thank you, Naige!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh... I was wrong. Sorry - never used that function (when having regular member status) and wasn't aware of it.

Yes, they can.
Yes, you _are_ special. For taking the time, creating a snapshot and clearing things up.
Thank you, Naige!
Aww, I was hoping I had been granted limited moderator powers there for a minute. Oh well :-)

Fun fact: There's a "bug" in the system related to this function. We aren't allowed to change the title of our threads, but when you move a thread you're given the option to rename it. So if you need to change a thread title, you can move it somewhere else (changing the title in the process), and then move it back. Voila, thread title changed.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Maaaan if I suck. Sorry, people :(
Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

It's ok - don't worry ;-)
I was (at least half) kidding.

Grab a guitar and get started. Would be nice if you had some guitarist at hand who could show you some basics.

Take a look at those threads PFOG listed - great material to browse.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 PM

Take it from someone who has played many instruments,
(voice, keyboard, guitar, bass, drums and trumpet),
had lessons on all of them, and even been good on one or two of them,
all instruments have fundamentals you have to get right.
And some (including drums and voice) you can injure yourself if you
don't play right.

Which means a teacher to help you get those fundamentals right.

Imagine trying to self-teach yourself drums, and not knowing how to
hold the sticks. Hamfisted forarm technique is what the kids
do when they bang on drums in a music store, and you won't get far like that.

Even a few months of lessons on a new instrument can get you
off to a good start, although a year or two is a lot better.

I remember being amazed at how much voice lessons helped my singing,
I had a great teacher, a local opera pro who was a stickler
for everything being just-right. I went from frustrated and unable to sound like
I wanted to, to having everything work well. I didn't become an opera
singer, I prefer modern, but knowing the fundamentals of the instrument allow
me to sing any style well without hurting my voice.

That said, find a teacher, and enjoy playing guitar. :-)

Has anyone warned you about the pain and calouses yet?

Much worse on acoustic than electric. :-)
Old 02-07-2013, 05:16 AM

Buy a decent used acoustic. You'll need no additional wires, amps, effects, etc.
I recommend a decent hard-shell case to go with it.

Be patient. Hang with a few guitar players (I know, I know...) and steal everything you can. Buy a "fake book" or two. Sing. SING. I mean it. Take a few lessons. Garbage in, garbage out.

Don't be afraid of callouses. They only hurt for a little while as you begin. Eventually they become numb like the rest of the rock star.

I've played guitar for thirty years and LOVE it!

I've been playing drums for two years and LOVE it.

I take back half the bad things I ever said about drummers. Honest.

Have fun.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Platinum Member

I understand buying a really cheap guitar for a kid who may or may not still like it in 6 weeks down the road, but I can't understand why anybody who is really serious about learning would buy a cheap guitar.

Here's my logic...
I've played cheap guitars for many years. Sometimes they are very hard to play. I've also played very nice guitars, and they are really easy to play. If you're a beginner, wouldn't you want to get a guitar that's easy to play? I finally got a real Gibson a couple years ago and what impressed me the most is just how easy it was to play. I wish I had that guitar as a beginner.

I also own a cheap Mitchell acoustic guitar. I got it for $100 at GC and had a pro set it up with better tuners on it. It's a little easier to play now, but nothing like my friends $2000 Taylor acoustic. Playing that Taylor is like cutting through soft butter. So nice. Perfect guitar for a beginner if you ask me. Isn't that what a beginner needs? Something easier to play?

I wouldn't say that a drum set would fit into this logic though...

Last edited by Midnite Zephyr; 02-07-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Silver Member

Get any guitar with an an adjustable truss rod in the neck to start with. (some cheap guitars
don't have this feature and when the neck warps you end up throwing the instrument out or using it as kindling).....

I began playing guitar after I'd been playing drums for about 25 years and still do while continuing to play drums.

I knew something about theory from childhood piano lessons etc but in my opinion a great way to start is to:

1. Tune the guitar
2. find out what the chords are to tunes you want to play
3. get a book that shows how to finger those chords
4. get a metronome (of course you already have that, right?)
5. play away, have fun!

I began just this way and eventually questions came up again and again....like
"how come the piano player isn't playing the chords written, but what he plays sounds
better etc"....this lead to learning about chord substitution, backcycling and on and on.

Just like any musical instrument, you can take it as far as you want or are capable of within constraints of time and ability.

While I agree that a teacher is always a good idea, I didn't go that route...I did what
I posted above and after about 5 years of learning how to "comp changes" to a zillion
'standards" I took one guitar lesson and never went back.

Largely self taught, I worked through a lot of method books and have gotten to a place
that I actually play out regularly playing jazz and jazz brazilian type tunes in small groups. I love it as much as I do drums..When I play guitar I don't care about the drums at all...when I play the drums, it's all I want. I can't give up either one for the other.

The more you learn about music generally, the better drummer you will be so I see taking up the guitar or piano as a great move!

Last edited by groove1; 02-08-2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: sentence
Old 02-08-2013, 05:55 PM

I'll never understand the obsession with people rushing to post "USE THE SEARCH feature" or links to other (often old) discussions.

Seriously?!

I can understand not wanting the first 3 pages flooded with the same subject over and over, but really guys? How many times have you met up with a buddy and randomly resumed an old conversation mid conversation?

Its just as easy to start a new conversation or just let it go.

I remember the first search I ever did on this forum, I encountered search recursion (Search results with threads telling me to use the search button)........ah good times.

[/rant]

I picked up the guitar a little while back. Its given me more context for my playing and how I approach playing with others. Its like having a different perspective to draw from. Creatively its a nice outlet for a different type of complexity that mirrors the drums......hard to explain.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
I'll never understand the obsession with people rushing to post "USE THE SEARCH feature" or links to other (often old) discussions.

Seriously?!.
Yes, seriously. That is to give it some structure.

What do you think is the purpose of a public library? To have more and more books (which is inevitable)? Or - provided there's already some great books on certain topics - refer to them for easier access? Yes, without ruminating the same stuff more than it really needs to.

Plus, most adults acutally _can_ use the search function. Some are not really aware of it, some might even be too lazy (isn't it more comfy to lean back and wait for replies?).

As for the same old stories with your friends: Sure this happens and is a normal occurrence. But do you repeat those stories every few days or maybe months, if not years? See - quite some difference. Some stories repeat themselves almost daily _on this very forum_. Seen it once, twice - a hundred times. This does change your perception. So why not help by posting links with search results? This is what _I_ will never understand ;-)
Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, seriously. That is to give it some structure.

What do you think is the purpose of a public library? To have more and more books (which is inevitable)? Or - provided there's already some great books on certain topics - refer to them for easier access? Yes, without ruminating the same stuff more than it really needs to.

Plus, most adults acutally _can_ use the search function. Some are not really aware of it, some might even be too lazy (isn't it more comfy to lean back and wait for replies?).

As for the same old stories with your friends: Sure this happens and is a normal occurrence. But do you repeat those stories every few days or maybe months, if not years? See - quite some difference. Some stories repeat themselves almost daily _on this very forum_. Seen it once, twice - a hundred times. This does change your perception. So why not help by posting links with search results? This is what _I_ will never understand ;-)
It does depending on how much time you spend on the forum. Relate this to the thread asking people to come out of lurking. Many people who sign up and are content to read post do so casually based on what threads are posted on the day they visit. I didn't click the link to this page because I was too lazy to search, I clicked to see what the OP had to say, and what others had to contribute.

Think about it- what else can be discussed on drummerworld at all? At some point, at some time by some poster many things have been touched on even if the tread only has 3 replies. So what's the point?

All Im suggesting is that for the sake of an inviting atmosphere based on drumming music et al, people ease up on the 'We discussed that 8 years ago-so go search it out you lazy bastid!' attitudes.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

It's not about the threads that reoccur every eight years. It's about the threads that reoccur every few days, weeks and sometimes every couple of months.

For instance, if a poster were to post and ask about what recommended Jazz listening some members would advise - say for Post-Bop - there are one or two threads that go into some extraordinary detail. In those instance, the poster would be much better advised to go and read that thread and then post. It gives everyone the same basic background from which to initiate discussion. In that instance, there are probably around a dozen recommendations that should be instantly listened to (Hell, even if you're not asking about Jazz) and it saves the precious time of a number of highly professional and working drummers.

Quite simply, people don't like to repeat themselves unless it's in a new context or with a new insight.

If I had a penny for every time somebody on this forum has asked what the 'best' double-pedal is or how they should tune a tom for maximum resonance (these threads come up at least once every two weeks) then I'd probably be at least a few quid the better off. The advice there doesn't change and if there's a specific issue then a new question can be asked into that thread.

Arky, the other moderators and the more regular forum members (myself included) like to see new topics and not the same five, ten or fifteen topics reported ad nauseam. If it were just the same five, ten or fifteen threads then I'd be out of here like a flash. As much as I dislike self-aggrandising (actually...) the regular members on here are the ones that really are the core of the forum. I've been through a few upheavals on here where members have left en-masse and it takes a long time to rebuild the forum and have interesting, dynamic and (sometimes) intelligent discussions.

As it happens, I've been on this forum - in one form or another - since 2004. Interesting new topics come up with alarming regularity and it's why I stay here and not on other forums that are either brand-specific love-fests, lack participation or have posts about the same five topics recurring on a weekly basis.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Any musical cross training pays off to the other instruments you play.

I really suggest vocal training...guitar has treated me well as well.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
All Im suggesting is that for the sake of an inviting atmosphere based on drumming music et al, people ease up on the 'We discussed that 8 years ago-so go search it out you lazy bastid!' attitudes.
And all I'm suggesting is that the OP take a look at the ton of information previously available. Rather than rag on the guy or try to belt the bejesus outta him, I even took the leg work out of it and found some stuff for him. All on topic and all relevant, even if they are older threads the info still holds, does it not? And yet you're trying to tell me I'm not accomodating?

That aside, the fact remains that it's been an ongoing request from Bernhard and the moderators to use the search function since the forums inception. It's repeated by mods time and time again. The fact you're happy to ignore it and march to the beat of your own drum doesn't change that. I don't get why you guys are instant on arguing with that concept to begin with. What's so bloody hard about accepting a polite request from the forum host anyway? What makes you so special you feel you're above it?

Your panties are in a twist my friend.....suggest you untangle them.....life will be a hell of a lot more comfortable.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 AM
Silver Member

For several months I played learned guitar self taught. Didn't take to it naturally. I don't practice much anymore. I have the basics and will probably pursue it again some time.

Drums come far easier to me. It helps I've had lessons in it and once you get good on them you can enjoy yourself. I can't on guitar cos I kind of suck. :D
Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 AM

ive been "playing/learning" guitar for about 2 years now, and one of the things i was first told was to learn how to play bar chords, right off the bat. you can play every note without having to change the basic shape. pretty useful for starting out, if you ask me.
a little hard at first developing the hand strength to hold down all the strings, but in the beginning i think it should be one of the first things to learn, because thats what you need.

now i am not a guitarist, im just a drummer that knows how to play a little bit of guitar. if you want to get good at anything though, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. it will be hard at first but you get a handle of the basics itll come naturally (thats the plan anyways...)

and everyone should chill out about the search barre.