DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Gold Member

Default Recording Questions

I want to record some songs to post on youtube. The songs are from bands that I like and I will be playing along to the tracks. These songs already have drums on them. I'm trying to find out if there's a way to pull back the original drum mix so it's more like a play along track without drums. Is there a way to do this?

I plan on going into a local pro studio to have them record and film me playing along to these tracks.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Recording Questions

Best video I have found on the subject, but you can never completely do it, as drums are stereo panned and take up a wide frequency spectrum in the mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TpVgofxe_g
Old 10-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Gold Member

I just drum over the standard track (not drumless) without too much interference (using e-drums). Drumless is obviously better if you can find it but you can get away with recording your drums over the track (easier to mix using a module).
Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
I just drum over the standard track (not drumless) without too much interference (using e-drums). Drumless is obviously better if you can find it but you can get away with recording your drums over the track (easier to mix using a module).
Same here.

If you are going to a studio, you should have a decent recording that you can easily edit and mix each drum/mic properly if it has been run through a multitrack interface. If you have these tools you should be able to mix the drums on top of the original drums without much interference. Dont be afraid to place your drums volume a decent amount above the original track
Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Unless you have the original multitracks there is no way to 'remove' the drums and reducing them is very difficult.

Drums cover a very wide part of the audio spectrum. In fact, drums cover almost every part of the audio spectrum, from the bass (80Hz-200Hz), the snare (500Hz-4KHz) and the cymbals (everything from 200Hz-20KHz). As a result, it's very hard to even EQ the drums out without sacrificing the band of another instrument - especially the bass guitar and the vocals (which tend to be 'peaked' around 3KHz in the EQ for intelligibility).

Your best bet is to just record over the raw track. There are tricks you can use, like bouncing the original to Mono and hoping for the drums to phase cancel themselves but that brings in artefacts and isn't worth the hassle.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrm View Post
Dont be afraid to place your drums volume a decent amount above the original track
Just a quick point on that: I originally thought that the mix I was hearing in my IEM's would be exactly what would be recorded (using Zoom Q3 HD) but I've found that I actually have to INCREASE the track volume otherwise my drums overpower the mix in the recording! (Must be an e-drum thing)!