DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:28 PM

Default New kit - do you remember your first time?

What a fantastic day...

After 40+ years of playing 'air drums' and playing bass in bands for quite a time, I finally decided to take the plunge and get myself a kit.

After a call yesterday, went into drumwright.co.uk in reading and bought a new kit (odery with TRX DRK cymbals and one 12" Sabian China aaX) and brought it home. For a newbie, having an array of 24+ boxes in front of me was a bit daunting, but an hour later it's all set up and plays like a dream.. well, to my ears :)

As I unwrapped all the stuff I realised that I'd never have this moment again - building my first kit!

Now I'm just waiting for my first lesson on Thursday... time can't pass quickly enough!

Do you remember your first kit?
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: New kit - do you remember your first time?

i remember her. she was a tabacco stained white fibre board century drum kit with no bottom heads, flimsy stands and one crash/ride. she squeaked, disintegrated occasionaly, buzzed and more often than not sounded like a cow crapping on concrete. i played her for eight years before i upgraded.
man i loved that kit. man i miss her. i would pay to have her back. i'll see if i can find a pic.
congrats on the new kit.
j
there you go ... this was what she looked like about a year before i upgraded. this photo was taken 14 years ago!
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2012, 09:26 PM

she sounds great - the first time is always the one you remember most :)
Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 PM

A Pearl Forum 5 piece was my first kit. I remember being so proud of that kit. I didn't know how to tune them or how to play them, but they were the best sounding drums i'd ever heard. haha!! I had a cheap Pearl pedal and even cheaper hardware with B8 cymbals. I sold all of that stuff about 4yrs ago and upgraded everything. I wish i still had it back just for sentimental reasons.

Sabian / DW / Evans / Vic Firth
Old 10-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Out of the blue, my Dad brought home a small kit when I was about 8 years old. I JUMPED on that thing. One day, it was suddenly gone. In retrospect, I think he borrowed it with the plan of buying it but were were a broke ass family without many extras.

Within a year or so I got a replacement kit. All I remember is a big ass red Slingerland bass.

In high school I picked up a Rogers kit and used it for 16 years until I went on hiatus.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdowner View Post
What a fantastic day...

After 40+ years of playing 'air drums' and playing bass in bands for quite a time, I finally decided to take the plunge and get myself a kit.

After a call yesterday, went into drumwright.co.uk in reading and bought a new kit (odery with TRX DRK cymbals and one 12" Sabian China aaX) and brought it home. For a newbie, having an array of 24+ boxes in front of me was a bit daunting, but an hour later it's all set up and plays like a dream.. well, to my ears :)

As I unwrapped all the stuff I realised that I'd never have this moment again - building my first kit!

Now I'm just waiting for my first lesson on Thursday... time can't pass quickly enough!

Do you remember your first kit?

The lads at Drumwright are spot on; and I have to admit I am impressed with Odery's latest offerings.

My first kit was a late 1960's Sonor New Beat: My father bought me a used set in 1981 after yet another trip home as a young teenager accompanied by the plod. His words were "If you're going to hit anything, hit these" and I haven't looked back since.

Well done on taking the plunge.