DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 AM

Default Flying with cymbals question

Hi all,
I'll soon be doing some flying with my cymbals and have some obvious concerns. They are twofold. First, damage: I've bought a SKB hardcase, so I think I'm covered on that front. Second, theft. Is there any way I can secure my new case with a TSA lock or the like? How are people handling this part of in-flight cymbal protection?
Thanks!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Flying with cymbals question

I carried mine on board once, but I use a leather cymbal bag which looks cooler than one of those plastic cases ;)

The stewardess let me fit it in an overhead compartment and it fit great.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
The stewardess let me fit it in an overhead compartment and it fit great.
What size was it? 20"? 22"?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

I use an SKB hard case and put 'em on the plane through check-in. I don't use a lock because it slows down the process as they always want to look inside.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinao View Post
What size was it? 20"? 22"?
It's a 22" size bag.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Flying with your cymbals is easy....it's the landing that's hard.:)

Steve B
Old 08-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmm, if you have anything that can't be replaced, I don't think I would check them. What I do is carry them on, in a cymbal bag. A 22" will not always fit into an overhead, so you have to ask an attendant (reeeelly nicely) to put them in with the garment bags, or wherever they can put them.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Silver Member

This was a question that caused me a lot of headaches before flying out to a gig a few months back. We were flying with a well known budget airline, so they were not used to dealing with this sort of thing. Originally we were told there was an area for musiclal instruments, only to be told later that "they cannot guarantee their safety" - in others words they might get thrown around. The next option was to book a seat especially, but we were already doing that for 2 guitars and I never did get a clear answer when I asked if the cymbal bag could share the seat (the call center is obviously sub contracted somewhere else and nobody had a clue, and their English was not very good so I really don't think they understood what I was on about half the time!).

The seats had become really expensive by this point.

Eventually I just bought a fairly hard suitcase, and packed my cymbal bag with all my clothes, and I even managed to get a little midi keyboard in their too. I packed the cymbag bag in a way that kept the edges of the cymbals as far away from the edges of the suitcase as possible (angled).

My snare was my hand luggage. In the snare bag, I had not only my snare, but my hi hat cymbals that fit perfectly on top of my snare drum. As did my laptop (without the laptop bag...).

It was an exercise in logistics and careful packing. Both my hand luggage and my check in luggage were literally just a few grams below the maximum.

Everything survived the journey in both directions just fine, though I can't help feeling I was slightly lucky with the cymbals and wouldn't want to do it often. I did insure them all before I left... They are all Paiste Signature cymbals, so not exactly cheap. I would of been livid if any of them got bent up!

The rules on the whole booking an extra seat thing are funny. We had to strap the 2 guitars together to make it look like one item (they told us to do this during check in). I think strapping a cymbal bag to the 2 guitars would of been rediculous ;-)

It all just seemed a bit red tape over common sense.

Once there it was great fun and a great gig, so all the stress of getting there was forgotten.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Gold Member

If you hold them under one arm, you can flap with the other. But, if you keep one in each hand, it increases lift. You just have to run faster for the take off. Your welcome.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
If you hold them under one arm, you can flap with the other. But, if you keep one in each hand, it increases lift. You just have to run faster for the take off. Your welcome.
HAHAHAHAHA!!

Good one!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

My attitude about flying somewhere to play: call ahead and make arrangements to RENT what you need!

I'm flying out to Annapolis for this DCA festival with my drum corps buddies and we made arrangements to borrow the kit from the Naval Academy (we would've rented but they were gracious to just let us use it so long as we had transportation to get it around). I think any small rental fee is worth not having to transport your stuff via an airline, and I've never been so bent on the idea that I must have MY stuff to do a gig. I mean, Steve Howe from Yes can buy extra tickets for his guitar on an airplane, but if I did that, then all of sudden I'm flying out to do a gig where I make no money ;)