DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Default Here's something that doesn't happen all the time....

Had a gig tonight doing three sets at a restaurant (mostly fun rock n roll dance music - so we're going pretty much all night - we don't do ballads), and at the start of the third and last set, my bass drum leg felt like my calf was going to cramp up. By the time we hit the next to the last song, it cramped right before we started the last song, and I had to finish the night out not playing any bass drum (my floor tom did the bass drum stuff).

It was aggravating and painful, but I gritted my teeth and finished out the song. This week in California we've been in a constant heatwave, and to counter this, I've been drinking more than enough water, had quite a few bananas at the beginning of the week (ran out of 'em Thursday), took some vitamin supplements and was generally feeling OK. But tonight the good physical vibes were just not happening and it angered me that my calf should cramp up! I was overheating playing in this restaurant, because although by the beach, it was stuffy inside, and no air was circulating on the bandstand. I was sweating pretty much the whole time I was there.

I stretched out the leg as soon as I could before packing up to leave and when I got home, took a shower and relaxed. Now I'm here on the internet and I have an early morning gig back out in the heat at a car show for three hours playing with the brass band I play drumset with. A pretty busy weekend. I'm gonna rest up on the leg and hopefully I should be OK for tomorrow. I'll definitely be getting a banana before playing tomorrow.

I used to be so "all-weather". I've even been using the AC on my car lately. I hate getting older.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Here's something that doesn't happen all the time....

Maybe you could sit higher and/or further back so that your leg is a little more outstretched, could make it better or worse. Might be time to get into some stretching or yoga too. Good one for the legs is to fold yourself over gently while keeping your legs straight and feet firmly planted, careful not to aggravate it though.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
...I hate getting older.
Yep, bummer story Bo, age brings along all different types of new feel into your body, isn't it, and none of them are that great, nowadays I can easily get cramps in my toes when the weather gets cold, thankfully by playing the drums it doesn't happen, but yea, getting older affect "the machine" and the mileage kicks in, I have two collapsed disc at the base of my spine :(

Take it easy my friend, you're not getting any younger :)
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

Bummer that Bo. Changing position frequently through your set may help. I know that's counter intuitive as we all set up such that we're in our familiar position, but needs must eh!

Almost the sole reason I use a double pedal is because of my spinal tumour misbehaviour. About 1 out of every 5 gigs, I finish the set by playing bass drum with my hihat foot, as my bass drum leg has ceased to function. It's not as good as my right, but I can get away with most simple grooves that way.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

Oh, I know these cramps. I get toe cramps when I play sometimes.

Good luck on your gig tomorrow. Maybe try Gatorade to hydrate a little better.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Vitamins and things are obviously good but you need to keep the air circulating. We metabolize glucose for energy which gets around our body with oxygen. If we're starved for oxygen it's converted in a different way which creates a buildup of lactic acid and makes the part of the body being exerted slow down to prevent injury.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

I was always taught that viaming C ( found in oranges) was what helped most with disspiation of lactic acid in muscles (thats what causes cramps- I think).

I always play/feel better after a day off too.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
I was always taught that viaming C ( found in oranges)...
That's a blast from the past, lol...
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

My Dr. told me to take daily magnesium,vitamin c and potassium supplements,as well as 6-8 glasses of water per day,and maybe some sports drinks before and during playing,especially when it's warm.So far,it's worked,but just to be on the safe side,I would seek the advice of a medical professional.Maybe some urine,and blood tests are in order.

I know cramping sucks,and for a short time there,all I had to do was sneeze,and I would get a cramp somewhere.I'm glad I broke down,and went to my doctor.Best of luck buddy.:)

Steve B
Old 08-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Magnesium supplements really helped me get rid of my leg cramps. I suffer from them on and off the kit, and my doctor suggested taking them. Works great.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 PM

They make these nifty little fans at Wal Mart for a few bucks. They run off AA or AAA batteries. You could mount one to your crash stand or something. Maybe just tape it there. I've never used one, but it would be better than nothing I'm sure.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

This heatwave has been brutal. Don't beat yourself up, it's not every day we have this kind of heat.

My recent discovery is coconut water. Very hydrating, and all natural. Much better than using sports drinks.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
This heatwave has been brutal. Don't beat yourself up, it's not every day we have this kind of heat.

My recent discovery is coconut water. Very hydrating, and all natural. Much better than using sports drinks.
Hmmm. Coconut water? Never knew that. It's available all over the place around here where I live. I heard a couple NFL teams started using Pedialyte (baby hydration drink) instead of Sports drinks.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:31 PM

when you get cramps it usually indicates that body needs more magnezium. trust me im a powerlifter :D
Old 08-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Hmmm. Coconut water? Never knew that. It's available all over the place around here where I live. I heard a couple NFL teams started using Pedialyte (baby hydration drink) instead of Sports drinks.
Pedialyte tastes horrible. When my kids were babies were kept some in the fridge just in case, and I can't see how anyone, baby or adult, would drink that stuff.

Coconut water is great. The texture takes some getting used to, but I feel so much better after a can of coconut water. It is very high in potassium and other minerals, but because it's all natural, your body absorbs it better. And it lacks the sugar and/or artificial colors of the usual sports drinks.

I know it sounds a bit hippy-dippy, but for me, it works as advertised.

I ride my bike to work in the San Fernando valley heat, and coconut water keeps me going.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
True that. We only usually get a few weeks (out of the whole year) of heat like this. And we are in it, now. I turned down a jam this week, because it's too hot in my drum room. And my Club Date project is on hold, as well, because of the heat. All I wanna do is play in the sprinklers, and go to the beach.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Renegade

Bummer about the leg, Bo. My wonderful old age addition is my left hand gets tremors when I'm a bit nervous. At the start of gigs I can barely use it. Even small gigs. That's why I'm so into home recording these days - it's totally turned me off playing gigs.

Quote:
Coconut water is great. The texture takes some getting used to, but I feel so much better after a can of coconut water. It is very high in potassium and other minerals, but because it's all natural, your body absorbs it better. And it lacks the sugar and/or artificial colors of the usual sports drinks.

Strike up another for the hippies:

http://ncrunnerdude.blogspot.com.au/...0-coconut.html
Old 08-13-2012, 12:42 AM

Believe it or not pickle juice works for cramping. Yeah, it sounds crazy but there is even a company that sells the stuff in a slightly modified form. You can read more about it here. I do not work for or have any affiliation with the company.

It is also strange that right now out of the top 4 most recent posts in the General discussion forum category, 3 have to do with cramping.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone for the concerns and remedies, but I do think yesterday was an anomaly as today I stretched and did better to keep myself cool (today we were in a parking lot somewhere in Long Beach for a car show, and it was even more of a cooker). I dressed for the weather and relaxed into it and everything was much better.

What I did notice today was that, being in a parking lot, my bass drum was level. Last night, the stage I was on kinda' sloped down away from me, causing my bass drum to go down somewhat - so I'm wondering if that caused it since my beater was now traveling farther away from me with my pedal at a more obtuse angle? I went all night not thinking about that - probably going crazy from the heat in the process....

But this heatwave really sucks. I'm watching the news as other areas around are experiencing thunderstorms hoping we get one here just to break things up a bit. Doesn't look like it's gonna happen anytime soon :(

I will avoid heavy physical activity until we cool down. Even riding the motorcycle is rough - breathing in all the hot air, and the motorcycle starts riding like crap after a while too!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:08 PM

Hydrate- drink Gatorade, Pedialyte, Pickle juice, Cocunut water, whatever, so long as it has some salts (magnesium, potassium, sodium etc.) when you play- should prevent cramps.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
My Dr. told me to take daily magnesium,vitamin c and potassium supplements,as well as 6-8 glasses of water per day,and maybe some sports drinks before and during playing,especially when it's warm.So far,it's worked,but just to be on the safe side,I would seek the advice of a medical professional.Maybe some urine,and blood tests are in order.

I know cramping sucks,and for a short time there,all I had to do was sneeze,and I would get a cramp somewhere.I'm glad I broke down,and went to my doctor.Best of luck buddy.:)

Steve B
Right on Steve. Yeah, I recommend this product Frontier Minerals http://www.nutritionalfrontiers.com/...products_id=82

as well as their product called Magnesium Complete. maybe additional supplementation is what you need. People spend hundreds of dollars on tickets for sporting events, etc. but not on their own health. I think your body is worth the $$. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pedialyte tastes horrible. When my kids were babies were kept some in the fridge just in case, and I can't see how anyone, baby or adult, would drink that stuff.

I ride my bike to work in the San Fernando valley heat, and coconut water keeps me going.
You ride your bike in this heat? You're a brave man.

Thanks for the tip on Coconut Water. I'm gonna try that next practice. It gets hot in that studio and the whiskey kinda dehydrates me a little.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:17 AM
Silver Member

I use the same.methods that have been stated already but I also get up after songs occasionlly and stretch my legs while the next song is being introduced or still be applauded.

Probably looks crap but, I'd rather look crap than sound it!