"Longer" 7A drumsticks - suggestions?

barryabko

Hi All,

I've been using Zildjian Hal Blaine signature sticks for a while. They are are 7As at 15.25" long and .5" diameter. I llike them very much but I'd like to try a longer stick at about the same thickness or maybe a little thinner. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Barry

Check out the Vic Firth Ahmir Thompson (?uestlove) signature. They are 7Aish in diameter but 17" long. Pretty versatile as you can hold them in the middle and play quietly and then use the length to whack something harder than you easily could with a conventional 7A. Oddly, in spite of the length, they feel pretty balanced and fast.

+1 on the VF Questlove sticks though it might be a big jump from what you're currently using.

Vater bebop 500, bebop 525, bopworks 40's swing classic.

After trying out a bunch of sticks, I noticed that I liked the hickory sticks around the .54" diameter. However, I think what I really wanted about it was the weight but wanted something a bit bigger in diameter. I ended up going to the maple sticks with diameters around 0.57" (vater sugar maples). If worked great. (not much of a hard hitter :) )

Good luck in your search..

Last edited:
Hi All,

I've been using Zildjian Hal Blaine signature sticks for a while. They are are 7As at 15.25" long and .5" diameter. I llike them very much but I'd like to try a longer stick at about the same thickness or maybe a little thinner. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Barry
Vic Firth "Free Style" 7A, are a new design concept. They are 17 inches in length. YouTube Vic Firth to hear the conceptual explanation. I have 4 pairs and a light touch around the kit, so I'm not breaking sticks as a matter of course. If I use a heavier stick it is a 3A.

There's a copy and paste from the Vic Firth website on the American Classic "Freestyle" sticks.

You can try several models: The Regal Tip Jeff Hamilton model. Although just shy of 16" (15 7/8"), it is a bit longer than the Blaine. It is also the same diameter of .500. The Vic 8D's and Freestyles and the Vater Manhattans will feel much heavier and clunkier to you if you are used to the very thin Blaine. I really like both the Blaine and Hamilton models Very similar feeling.

You can also try the Vic Firth American Jazz 5 (AJ5). A full 16" but just shy of .500 diameter. Nice and thin and feels great.

Finally, there is the Regal Tip "Combo" model. It's a full 16" and under .500 in diameter, but it has a nylon tip. Normally I don't like Nylon tips, but they just feel so good!

Enjoy the discovery!

Last edited:
You can also try the Vic Firth American Jazz 5 (AJ5). A full 16" but just shy of .500 diameter. Nice and thin and feels great.

That's what I use for a little volume without having to change the way I play.

Bermuda

That's what I use for a little volume without having to change the way I play.

Bermuda
I've been using this also for light gigs and quiet rehearsals. They have the length I need for comfortable playing and the lightweight for quiet playing. It's hard to play quickly and quietly with big sticks. I've been using AJ 3 for gigs

Just ask Frank Kincel from LA BackBeat LLC www.labackbeat.com
Great selection of sticks, very affordable and he might have just the right stick for you as well.
His website is a bit old-fashioned and you have to understand his terminology.
He made some JBX 505 for me and they're great sticks.
J = Jazz = lighter wood
B= Bounce = longer taper = better rebound
X = Extended = longer stick
505 = diameter = 0.505"
That stick is the thinnest he ever made and he was concerned it might break, but not even the tips wear off.
No problems at all.
I can't recommend LA Backbeat sticks highly enough.

Back