Teaching a left handed drummer.

T-Bird Kev

I have played drums now for over 20 years and i would now like to start teaching my six year old. I now feel he is old enough to be shown some things but the problem is he is left handed and i play right handed. I can play basics left handed if i had to so i could teach him this way but what is best? Should i teach him right or left handed?
The main problem is that he couldn't play my kit and i couldn't play his so we would need two and we don't really have the space for that. And i remember playing in clubs where left handed drummer had problems when sharing kits at gigs.
I'd like to hear from any left handed drummers, let me know what you think.

Thanks Kev.

Is he left-footed or right-footed? If the latter, then perhaps the standard setup is going to be easiest for him and he could learn to play open-handed.

My nephew is left-handed but, out of necessity, has ended up ambidextrous and approaches most things (music included) as a right-hander. Hasn't held him back.

I think the general opinion will be to teach him right handed.

I am left handed and play a full lefty setup, my teachers always just tell me to switch the kit and if they need to demonstrate something they can usually get the point across, it has never really been a big deal.

Also, for what it's worth, I have shared tons of shows with other bands as well as a couple of jam sessions and switching the kit has NEVER been a problem.

I have played drums now for over 20 years and i would now like to start teaching my six year old. I now feel he is old enough to be shown some things but the problem is he is left handed and i play right handed. I can play basics left handed if i had to so i could teach him this way but what is best? Should i teach him right or left handed?
The main problem is that he couldn't play my kit and i couldn't play his so we would need two and we don't really have the space for that. And i remember playing in clubs where left handed drummer had problems when sharing kits at gigs.
I'd like to hear from any left handed drummers, let me know what you think.

Thanks Kev.

My first teacher recommended that I learn to play on a "right handed" kit for these exact reasons. Over the years, I've learned to not see it as right vs left handed, I see it as "standard" vs "non-standard". I mean, they don't have left handed french horns or trombones, there is only one correct way to hold an oboe or clarinet, and they don't flip a piano upside down if the player is a southpaw.

I suggest that you try him on a normal kit, and if he just can't get it after a few months then try open handed and then set him up lefty if open-handed doesn't work.

I am left-handed.

I play drums on a right-handed set-up..............always have, always will.

Drummers should strive to be as ambidextrous as possible anyway...........he won't know what's left, right or wrong..............believe me, I never knew.
I saw Ringo on TV and when I sat down at a right-handed kit, I had no idea I was learning backwards...............it simply doesn't matter.

My right-handed Dad taught me to hit a baseball and a golf ball..............I never knew there was another way to do it ! I throw a ball left-handed..............and I write left-handed...........other than that, I do everything right-handed or with either side.

It is, for the most part, a right-handed world............teach him on your kit.
He doesn't know !

Agree with the others to start with a conventional set up. Playing most any musical instrument requires dexterity on both sides. It seems that only unschooled "folk" instruments like guitar and drums get reversed by people learning on their own. Classical musicians play the same way regardless of which hand they write with.

Think of it this way, he won't come up against the point most right handed drummers do when they want to do more complex things with their left hand, and it won't behave.

Check out this Billy Cobham video where he plays either way and it comes out the same. http://youtu.be/KUNtaGMZyM0

I'm left handed and I play open handed.left hand on the hi hat and right hand on the ride cymbal.i feel teaching that from the beginning helps a lot.i think a kid or an adult will naturally play that way unless they have seen a drummer playing with the hands crossed.i also think that it helps a drummer play not only left to right but right to left around the kit.

Thanks for the advice guys. After reading all your comments i am going to go for right handed for a few months and see how he is picking it up. I may try open handed if he is struggling with right handed. The open handed comments were interesting as i hadn't even thought about that. Thanks again, i'm glad i asked.

Keep it for for junior- it is easy to become the overbearing parent and take the fun out of it. I have an 8 yr old and we have been thru some ups and downs but all is weel now that I have learne to always keep it fun and not push too much.

I find that that the occasional, incredible musical experience keeps him excited. I will, once a year, set up a concert or some kind of musical event for him to go to and we usually dont make a big deal of the planning, just sort of go and let him soak it up. Took him to see Carmine and Vinny Appice clinic and he played double bass for about 3 hours after... lots of info here on teaching kids if you look.

Keep it for for junior- it is easy to become the overbearing parent and take the fun out of it. I have an 8 yr old and we have been thru some ups and downs but all is weel now that I have learne to always keep it fun and not push too much.

I find that that the occasional, incredible musical experience keeps him excited. I will, once a year, set up a concert or some kind of musical event for him to go to and we usually dont make a big deal of the planning, just sort of go and let him soak it up. Took him to see Carmine and Vinny Appice clinic and he played double bass for about 3 hours after... lots of info here on teaching kids if you look.

Thanks, i do defiantly agree with you there. I have just been letting him hit the kit around how ever he wants for over a year now and have tried to get him used to counting to four in eighths but that is as far as i have went so far. It should be fun, the five year olds on youtube playing full songs must be at it all the time and that is not what i want for him. I want him to enjoy playing the way i did.
I am new on here but i will have look for the kids teaching tips thanks.

Back