Drum Terms That Make No Sense...

Funny, I've always thought that drum sticks benefited from having more even timber.

Timber or timbre? :)

Red, Green? My wife is red/green color blind. I tortured that poor woman for almost 30 years - I've finally grown up. For the last 9 years I've tried to explain colors to her as I see them. Happy wife, happy life. Too bad I muffed 30 years, but it was fun while it lasted.

Just means driving your bass drum beater into the head and, at least momentarily, leaving it pressed up against the head...I think. Barriemore Barlow was famous for doing this in the studio, when guys after him started coping his technique they called it Barrying the beater, as an ode to him, this over time became burying the beater. I just made all that up, sorry, end of day bored and all.

IMO, confusion, from a salesperson's POV, works to their favor. I know I've bought something in error because I was confused about something or other. It's good for business.

That's actually seen as a bad sale in most cases. Reputable retailers want to get the right product to the consumer. Getting the wrong product may result in a return which costs the retailer additional time (there's opportunity costs involved now) and there may be restocking complications. Since a lot of music stores don't carry a deep back stock of inventory for certain products, the right customer for that product may have come in looking for it and decided to go elsewhere when they couldn't find it.

The best consumer (from all perspectives) is generally a well educated consumer.

About burying the beater...

Do I need to purchase a burial license?

Should I contact the "call to dig" agency before attempting to bury?

Where am I permitted to bury my beater?

Do I need any type of insurance to comply with local statutes in PA?

How deep do I bury my beater? Is there a law outlining that?

Do I simply throw the beater in the ground naked, or do I wrap it in some kind of a burial cloth? If so, does the burial cloth material matter?

Are there any special words I should say ritually before, during or after the burial?

Can I write off the cost of the beater and the burial costs on my taxes?

Do I qualify for a death benefit from the beater if I can prove I purchased it?

Am I required to take out a newspaper ad announcing the burial of my beater?

Why have I never heard of cremating my beater?

Thank you for any help with these questions.

Do I simply throw the beater in the ground naked, or do I wrap it in some kind of a burial cloth? If so, does the burial cloth material matter?

Are there any special words I should say ritually before, during or after the burial?

Perhaps you should call your local ordinance. Beater burying is almost impossible here in AR. There is about 2" of grass/soil, then it's all rock.

Only if required by your local Constabulary.

Only if you actually plan to "dig"; if you've other means, it's not required.

Anywhere on your own property as approved by "Miss Dig" or your local instrument cemetery.

If you've got musicians' insurance and your beater is dead, you might contact the insurance company. If you plan to bury the beater alive, it would be a tough claim.

Deep enough that you can exhume it after locating the burial site with your metal detector.

If you never expect to exhume the beater, dirt protection isn't necessary.

If the beater is dead, words are optional; if the beater is being buried alive, you're probably already cussing.

Not if you receive a death benefit from your musicians' insurance company.

See your musicians' insurance policy. If you haven't insurance and the beater is out of warranty, you may be out of luck even WITH proof of purchase.

Only if the beater may have claimants in Buck's County.

I think the proper term would be "melting." I doubt that most average drummers can afford a furnace or a foundry. YMMV.

Hope that helps! 20 character rule...

So what, no graveyards?

It takes a backhoe with an auger to dig any serious holes. The graveyards here are really small mostly and scattered about. I used to live up north, and the graveyards where I lived (upstate NY) were huge. Like blocks. Here, I've been in graveyards with maybe 20 graves. There is a historical one by my work. I think it has 6 graves.

EDIT: I just remembered we also have at least one elevated graveyard. It has a giant rock wall that surrounds it and is filled with dirt. It's pretty big and old (civil war era, that's old 'round these parts). The bigger ones around here are usually excavated first. Most big construction is too. Dirt gets brought in for everything.

Last edited:
Back