Drum sound blending questions

drummingman

Gold Member
If I wanted to be able to blend my acoustic drums with a sample sound how would I go about doing that the easiest way possible? What I was thinking is I would mic my drums with actual mics and I would also get triggers to put on them to run into an interface to run into a computer to be picked up by Midi. That way all the velocities are actually picked up by the triggers so it will know how hard or how soft I'm hitting and I wont have to go back and manually do that in the computer. Am I correct on all this?

On the EP that I have coming out with my band the floor tom Mic was messed up in the recording and we didn't know it until afterwards. So I'm having my friend replace my Tom hits with samples from Studio One and he's had to do it all manually because they would not automatically line up with the spikes in the file. So he has had to go in and manually put the samples on each Tom hit as well as make sure the velocities from the sample match my hits correctly. So I'm trying to find a way to where if I ever have to do that again or if I just want to blend it with the acoustic sound that every hit is tracked when I'm playing it so everything will line up automatically. So I'm thinking just run triggers off of the drum set into a daw then into a computer. With Mics on the drum set I'll be able to blend both the acoustic sound and the sampled sound.

I'm new to all this but from what I can tell it's very important to have a working knowledge of these things as most modern studios are blending acoustic drum sounds with sample sounds or flat-out replacing the sounds with sample sounds.

I'm trying to find a way to where if I ever have to do that again

Maybe it would be easier to do a full sound check before recording.

Are you hearing the bad sound in the full mix or just in the isolated drum tracK?

If it's only the isolated track, leave it. It will add flavor :)

If it's just for the studio and you're not doing the engineering and mixing, then you don't really need to know how to do it.

You might not even want to know if they replaced your awesome drum sound because they're not very good at capturing it.

Maybe it would be easier to do a full sound check before recording.

Are you hearing the bad sound in the full mix or just in the isolated drum tracK?

If it's only the isolated track, leave it. It will add flavor :)

We did do a full check. I was told by the guy recording that it was not in the mic but his speaker we were listening to the play back from. I took his word, I shouldn't have.

Got it. I guess you just have to file it under, stuff happens.

As far as future recordings, you can try to prepare for everything but it won't guarantee that something in your new system won't also fail.

It can be a pain dragging out all the equipment but sometimes you just need to re record stuff.

Back