Dbl rail Ludwig

ddrummer23

I recently picked up this 64' Ludwig with dbl rail mounts. Rack tom ser#s are 89!!! and 91!!! my question is did Ludwig do this type of install at factory or do you think this was done privately? All hardware is from same period and it looks like it was done professionally.
Thank you!

Attachments

• ludwig_1.JPG
    ludwig_1.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 344
They could possibly be custom ordered that way,but the second consolette rail,is usually a non-factory add on,especially if the date stamps aren't say ,within 6 months of each other,or the serial numbers are a year or more apart.Usually,from 1960 and on,kits with two mounted toms came with a bass drum mounted double tom holder,as in the Hollywood model.

In 64,the tom mounts and tom mounting brackets were different from yours.The double tom mounted hollywood kit also was sold with 2-8x12 toms,not a 8x12 and a 9x13.I think your kit was altered or possibly a custom dealer job,so it's more than likely....non factory.I think it was possibly Downbeat model,and then altered to make it a Hollywood kit.It probabley came with 8x12 /14x14 /14x20 bass drum.I can't see the floor tom,but if it's 14x14 than it's an altered downbeat.If the floor tom is 16x16,then it was a super classic.Those had an option for a 20" bass instead of the normal 22".

So the short answer is....possibly factory,buy not usually,and most likely a non-factory add on.BTW...those L arms are mounted backwards.The long part should be verticle,and the tom bracket mounts to.It also looks like you have a 9x13 and a 10x14 mounted tom.If that's the case,then I would ask you for more close ups of the badges and badge grommets,amd the bearing edges and interiors.If the wrap dosen't becone actually part of the scarf joint,they are a re wrap,and worth about 30 % less that original.

Steve B

Last edited:
Good looking kit for a '64.

tamadrm,
Thanks for the help, this is my first vintage Ludwig so I dont really know much about them.
Here is some more info, the racks are both 9x13 and the floor is 16x16 bass 14x20. I took a pic of the badge and the seam. If you can give me more info that would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• lud_3.JPG
    lud_3.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 196
  • ludbdge.JPG
    ludbdge.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 196
The two rails don't seem to be centered or equidistant front and back so I'm guessing DIY. I would also find it hard to play with the toms that far apart. But she's a beauty.

tamadrm,
Thanks for the help, this is my first vintage Ludwig so I dont really know much about them.
Here is some more info, the racks are both 9x13 and the floor is 16x16 bass 14x20. I took a pic of the badge and the seam. If you can give me more info that would be appreciated.
Thanks

That serial number is consistant with a drum built in late 64 to early 65.The mufflers should be red felt(possibly white),baseball bat style and the interiors should be white resa-cote,with either a red or possibly a black ink date stamp.The shells are 3 ply either maple/ poplar/mahogany or mahogany/poplar /mahogany, Ludwig was in a transition,or they would just run out of material and use what ever they had around.They were building 100 kits a day,plus everything else they made,....6 days a week 24 hours a day at the time.

The wrap ....must be part of the scarf joint,and you have to remove the heads to see that.If the wrap isn't stuck into that joint,then the drums were deffinately re wrapped.The grommet looks unmolested,but replacements can be had,and there's a way to age the brass to look 45-50 years old.In those days,Ludwig just took a 3 ply piece of ply wood,and glued the wrap on first,before forming the shell,so the wrap was part of the joint.If you tried to get that last piece of wrap out of the joint,the shell usually came apart.There has to be a small hump at the seam/joint,because the shell is slightly thicker under that seam/joint because of the wrap.They should also all be under a lug.

The snare that usually came with the kit was usually a 5x14 LM400 supraphonic aluminum alloy shell,possibley a jazz festival snare.,if it was a hollywood set,or a downbeat snare if it was a downbeat set.I'm pretty convinced your kit was altered ...after leaving the factory,by adding on another rail mount and tom.Another reason is that on the right side of the bass drum,your kit has a shell mounted cymbal holder bracket.That would not be possible if it were originally a double mounted tom on the bass drum set,like the Hollywood.That pink champagne wrap looks almost brand new,which is why I might suspect a re wrap.The only other explaination would be ,that the drums were put into cases,a very long time ago,and not used,or used very little.I see the bass drum has the original weathermaster head and Ludwig script logo,and those L arms are still upside down.The long section should be verticle,pointed toward the ceiling.

So ...your kit although in great condition,isn't factory original and not collector grade unfortunately.Hot rodding a vintage kit,simply devalues it,and contrary to belief,dosen't "upgrade " it,or make it more valuable.The collector resale value is 30-35 % less than if it were factory original.But they're are still great drums.Threw some coated ambassarors or emperors or Ludwig weathermasters on both batter and reso side and the magic will happen.And no more mods.:):)

Steve B

Last edited:
Steve, great info.
All drums have red mufflers, white interior and I'm almost certain its original wrap. Here is a pic of the snare that came with it!

Attachments

• snare.JPG
    snare.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 182
Steve, great info.
All drums have red mufflers, white interior and I'm almost certain its original wrap. Here is a pic of the snare that came with it!

That's got to be a COB (brass) snare! I don't see any pitting.

Steve, great info.

Are there any serial numbers on the badge of that snare,and are the snare beds crimped on both sides?.And do the bearing edges kind of start to curl back in towards the shell,instead of just remaining straight?Also ,if you have a scale,,just pick up the drum and weight it.If it's over 9 lbs,then it may be a Chrome over brass Super Ludwig 400,and not a Supraphonic with a ludalloy aluminum shell.

Those COB pre serial number Ludwigs go for over 800 bucks,depending on condition,and are one of the best sounding drums ever made.Take some pics of the snare beds,interior and the badge,if it dosen't have a serial nimber.Considering the condition of those drums,an sluminum supraphonic without pitting is a real possibiliy

The COB pre serial number snares were only made 60-63.Your kit is late 64,but it's not out of the question.To certain about the wrap.just take the heads off,and look at the bearing edges.....the wrap if original,will be actually in the scarf joint,and overlapping itself likw other wrapped drums do.Just take pic of the bearing edge.....I'll let you know.

Steve B

Last edited:
Steve.
It's only 6-7 lbs. Here is a pic of bearing edge where seam is.

Attachments

• seam_3.JPG
    seam_3.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 144
Ok then,if there are serial numbers on the badge,then it's most likely a ludalloy supraphonic,LM 400.That is exactly what the bearing edge should look like in an original 60's vintage Ludwig drum.The wrap is part of the scarf joint,so your drums have the original wrap on them,and in amazing non faded condition.They must have been cased up for a very long time to look that great.Now replace the heads with the ones I suggested,and that magic vintage Ludwig sound will happen.:)

Steve B

Steve,
I will do that..and thanks to everyone great info.
I will try to post a pic when I have it all cleaned up & set up with cymbals and of course new heads.

Steve,
I finally got it set up where I want it gave it a light cleaning, just need to get some heads one day then will give it a good polishing.
Thanks again!

Attachments

• ludwig.JPG
    ludwig.JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 91
Back