New HD Custom Drums Ensorsement kit finalized!

AJ3000

Silver Member
Ok so after much deliberation I have finally taken the plunge and gone for an endorsement with US master drum builders HD Custom Drums (found through this very site!)

Final kit setup is as follows:

8x7, 10x7, 12x8 rack toms
14x12, 16x14 floor toms
18x17, 22x21 kick drums
14x6 walnut stave snare
12x5 maple aux snare

The whole kit will be satin black with aluminum hardware, 50% offset lugs. The side snare is to match, but the stave snare will not match.

All Evans heads, with white kick reso heads. Also might be having a built in kick mic on the big boy. All kicks are undrilled.

This is going to be one he'll of a kit! Hopefully I can arrange a build diary of the kit so we can see what's going on in the build.

Has anyone else got something custom of this size? Interested to hear people's thoughts!

Although i can't speak as an owner of custom drums (or the amount of drums in that setup overall), i can tell you congradulations on the endorsement! When are you expecting to get them? I hope to see pictures when they come.

Was it very expensive? Looks great! Never heard a stave snare before, i bet it rocks loud and proud! Prictures when you get them!

Was it very expensive? Looks great! Never heard a stave snare before, i bet it rocks loud and proud! Prictures when you get them!

I have never heard stave snares in person either, but Rhett tells me that these are amazing, and I have total trust in him!

It was actually very cheap! Partially because of the endorsement, but HDs prices are way lower than some well known competitors. The quotes I had from SJC and Sonor were scary in comparison! and the attention to detail and choice I got compared to both the aforementioned was incredible.

Pics will be coming ASAP!

Congratulations on your new kit? A 3 to 5 month lead time seems very reasonable for hand made from scratch drums. I'm sure you will be counting the days. I'm in the same boat as I'm waiting about 4 month for my kit (although not as epic as a custom kit). I'm looking forward to your pics. What shell material will they be? What company will you be using for stands and pedals?

I have never heard stave snares in person either, but Rhett tells me that these are amazing, and I have total trust in him!

I have always been told that stave drums are better, than ply drums by far? If made totally correct ofcourse. It is really the method to make barrels in it's time. They seem kinda monstrous when they aren't done. Pretty thick drums and so. But I guess it turns out lovely and great :) I will try to go see that endorsement...

Congratulations on your new kit? A 3 to 5 month lead time seems very reasonable for hand made from scratch drums. I'm sure you will be counting the days. I'm in the same boat as I'm waiting about 4 month for my kit (although not as epic as a custom kit). I'm looking forward to your pics. What shell material will they be? What company will you be using for stands and pedals?

Hey thanks man! I'm counting alright!

Shells are maple ply, but the plies are thicker than the Keller equivalent, so it uses less glue which equals more resonance. The whole kit will be hung on a Gibraltar rack factory rack. Ill also have 2x iron cobra double pedals, and my usual plethora of Sabian cymbals...

This is going to be a great build. Welcome to the HD Family! The next time I am in England I will try and make it over to see you. My wife is from Sussex, so it is not too terribly far, and we always go up to London when we are over. So we might be able to swing round your way when we are out.

That great..congrats! From the photos I've seen on HD's website their drums look wonderful. And made in America too. I'm often puzzled why the bigger companies can't produced US-made drums for a price that everyone can afford. Why must they be "custom" and expensive? ummm...Ludwig, I'm talking to you :)

Thanks for all the responses! The reason I went for HD drums (aside from Rhett and his amazing knowledge and attention to detail) is because I personally hate the fact the big 'custom' companies (SJC, OCDP et al) charge frankly ridiculous prices for what I see as a semi custom approach. You get no call on things like bearing edges or any truly custom mods (I'm having a Kelly Shu hardwired into the large kick drum) and HD offer this and more for less money. It seems a no brainer to me.

I also love the fact I speak directly to the man building my kit, rather than someone on a phone who has no drum building experience. For example, Rhett has explained a potential issue with the offset lugs on the bass drum - the front lowest lug will be pretty on the ground and could potentially cause unnecessary pressure on it it the kick is low down, so everything will be offset except the kick drums. Now SJC don't offer that!

I would totally recommend ordering through HD, as the service is impeccable! And I'm sure the quality of the kit will be just as good when it arrives!

Last edited:
I don't understand the huge bass drums and then the shallow floor toms??

It's a bit complex!! I wanted a 21" deep kick drum, as sonically and visually it fits the purpose of this kit, but the floor toms are slightly shallower for 2 reasons; firstly to allow a frequency range for the 18" kick that is discernible from the 16" floor, and secondly to give clearance underneath for a second double bass drum pedal to play aforementioned 18" kick.

Best of luck with the kits AJ! Sounds awesome! The work on the HD site seems top notch, and I like the 50% off set lugs.

The bass drum depth is really a matter of preference, and it depends on how someone plays if they'd even like it.
For ME, the shallower floor tom gets more of a "total drum" sound quicker, and multiple strokes are cleaner sounding--especially through a PA. They sound fantastic recorded as well.
When I play them lighter, they still get the full sound of the drum and don't get muddy.

I grew up playing the standard 16x16 etc... but after having a 14x16 (since about '95), I wouldn't even consider going back to a square floor tom.
I have a few 13x15's that are amazing, and a 13x16 that is just flat out fantastic.

I really like a 12x14 over a 14x14 too--I just do NOT get on with 14x14's for some reason! It's like not digging the longer bass drum shells for some people I guess.
I prefer traditional depth toms (after trying everything!)

I agree though, it's kinda funny, long bass drums and shallow floor toms... but, it works great for me!

Back