Ok, I give up ...

I completely agree. I decided to never use myspace, it looks and feels to me like its being held together with binder twine and chewing gum. I know its been around forever, and tons of people use it, but I think its going to die.

Hilarious! But true.

When it comes to social media, LinkedIn is the business meeting, Facebook is the neighborhood barbecue and MySpace is the smokers in the alley.

Luke, I ended up giving up and we decided to do our own site. Thanks for your suggestions anyway. When Bandcamp's blurb started talking about the standards they expect in uploads, well, stuff 'em :)

Last night I put together a quick and dirty design for the site and we've organised for a domain and hosting. $100 p.a. between 5 professionals *not in music* is no biggie.

Our singer is a pro designer so when he has time, he will replace it with something cool. This is what the interim site looks like.

It's very simple with just the important things - title, picture, brief bio, streaming demo songs and contact details. The idea is to approach venue owners and give them a card with the web address.

Thanks to all who pitched in. The info might come in handy for others.

Have you tried using the WordPress platform for a Web site? Amazingly easy and thousands of plugins to do just about anything you want, all free. I pitched FrontPage and templates and I'm now doing it this way for all my clients.

Have you tried using the WordPress platform for a Web site? Amazingly easy and thousands of plugins to do just about anything you want, all free. I pitched FrontPage and templates and I'm now doing it this way for all my clients.

Ta but too late, DMC - we bought our own domain ... just $20 per band member per year. I didn't know Wordpress could do music - live and learn.

I don't blame you for pitching FrontPage, it messes up your code something terrible :)

Ta but too late, DMC - we bought our own domain ... just $20 per band member per year. I didn't know Wordpress could do music - live and learn.

I don't blame you for pitching FrontPage, it messes up your code something terrible :)

You use your own domain with WordPress.org. WordPress.org is just a platform you upload via FTP to your existing site, designating WordPress as the root. The nice thing is that you can try thousands of free or pay-for templates and the plugins make everything very, very easy, like SEO, galleries, blogs, page management, etc. Different templates allow varying amounts of customization and one (Starkers) is just a bare-bones template that you must code to complete.

Just about every site I come across these days is on the WordPress.org platform. If you are in the industry, you should check it out.

You use your own domain with WordPress.org. WordPress.org is just a platform you upload via FTP to your existing site, designating WordPress as the root. The nice thing is that you can try thousands of free or pay-for templates and the plugins make everything very, very easy, like SEO, galleries, blogs, page management, etc. Different templates allow varying amounts of customization and one (Starkers) is just a bare-bones template that you must code to complete.

Just about every site I come across these days is on the WordPress.org platform. If you are in the industry, you should check it out.

DMC, do you know whether you can create a web site as normal but just import or include modules (eg. streaming audio) into the site? You would have noticed that I'm using embedded YouTubes, which isn't perhaps the most elegant solution, but the only one I know at this stage.

DMC, do you know whether you can create a web site as normal but just import or include modules (eg. streaming audio) into the site? You would have noticed that I'm using embedded YouTubes, which isn't perhaps the most elegant solution, but the only one I know at this stage.

I am certain there are some WordPress.org plugins for streaming audio. You can also embed just about anything in a WordPress-based site. However, having YouTube videos embedded in any site is actually very good for SEO. If I were you I'd leave them embedded but you may be seeking a certain look and feel.

Since you are skilled with code, you could use the Starkers template and achieve a high degree of customization. I'm not so skilled so I rely on tweaking ready-made templates, which still works very well.

I am certain there are some WordPress.org plugins for streaming audio. You can also embed just about anything in a WordPress-based site. However, having YouTube videos embedded in any site is actually very good for SEO. If I were you I'd leave them embedded but you may be seeking a certain look and feel.

Since you are skilled with code, you could use the Starkers template and achieve a high degree of customization. I'm not so skilled so I rely on tweaking ready-made templates, which still works very well.

Interesting ... ta for the info, DMC.

SEO isn't a big thing for me, since the idea is for the site to augment business cards.

I guess I was looking at replacing the YouTubes because I read that they are a bit of a security risk. That could be the case for any embedded video but I don't know.

Back