Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

Anyone know what a Evans Clear Hydrulic over a Evans Clear G1 sounds like on the 12" Catalina Club tom because i really need to replace my heads on my 12" Cat Club Jazz tom.

btw i'll put pics up whenever i get aroud to taking them since my kit is in my badly lighted and acoustically horrible basement.

got new cymbals watch!!!!

img06586z8lv0du.jpg

img062483756pli.jpg

img0604c9f3e4n8.jpg

14" hats
16" crash
18" crash
12" spash
20" ride

i want to buy the 10" Splash and the 18" China of the xs20 series around christmas. so wait for more pictures very soon

greetings

gdrummer

honestly, i dont like them. when i began to play i didn't think about tone and tuning. i muffeled every thing and put tape on my heads. today i like more open drums.in retrospect i would not buy them. the sound is very short. if people like this sound (eg metaldrummers) they can buy them. but before i play on stage with this kit i'll change them. can you give me any tips wich heads are well?

honestly, i dont like them. when i began to play i didn't think about tone and tuning. i muffeled every thing and put tape on my heads. today i like more open drums.in retrospect i would not buy them. the sound is very short. if people like this sound (eg metaldrummers) they can buy them. but before i play on stage with this kit i'll change them. can you give me any tips wich heads are well?

I bought a set of Remo Emperors for my cat map kit last week.
I use the stock resos.
You have to tune them carefully, and then they have a nice open sound.
I only can't tune the 14" floor properly, so that needs still some time :)

Bram

I bought a set of Remo Emperors for my cat map kit last week.
I use the stock resos.
You have to tune them carefully, and then they have a nice open sound.
I only can't tune the 14" floor properly, so that needs still some time :)

Bram

an emperor isn't a pinstripe :D

in school i play a pdp 5 piece kit with stock heads. it sounds very cool. i think i'll buy single ply heads again. or i learn how to tune^^

greetings

gdrummer

I use coated Evans G1's over clear G1's on my Cats. the sound is amazing. Warm, open with just enough resonance. I was using G2 batters but found that they really killed the resonance of the shells.

sry Bram misunderstood you. i thought you said pinstripes and emperors are the same^^

i play many styles. basically "soft" rock, fusion, funk. i bought the pinstrimes because people said the are robust.

i realy think i'll buy a set of single ply heads. G1s are single plyed aren't they? are they better than ambassadors?

what is the differerence sounding between a coated and a clear head?

Last edited:
Just picked these up off Ebay. They were supposed to be from the 1980's, but the seller was mislead by the person he bought them from originally. They're actually from about 96-97 based on the 55xxx serial number (something in the 80's after 1983 would be lower 5 digits, before 1983 would be 6 digits).

But regardless, it's my holy grail dream kit..I've been looking for this kit for years. It might be a later kit than I thought but it still has Jasper shells which Gretsch no longer uses except in limited runs every now and then from their stockpile.

14x20
8x12
14x14
Pearl Sensitone Aluminum 5x14. I have a 6.5x14 Vaughncraft Curly Movingui (pictured) coming on Monday as well

All the drums (except the snare) have internal tone controls, but I'm only using the Pratt muffler on the bass and very sparingly using the tone control on the floor tom to help it balance more with the tom.

Cymbals are Bosphorus, 13" Masters Hats, 18" Traditonal Med-Thin Crash, 20" Traditional Med-Thin Ride

DW Flat Base Cymbal & Snare Stands with DW Boom/Clamp, one of the new Yamaha Belt Drive Pedals (forget the model), and a Yamaha 750 Series Hi-hat.

Coated Ambassadors on the toms and bass batter, Fiberskyns on the snare batter and bass reso, Renaissance Ambassador on snare side.

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 5,701
  • cm1.jpg
    cm1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 5,134
  • g5.jpg
    g5.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 5,152
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 5,225
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 5,288
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 5,312
  • g6.jpg
    g6.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 5,100
Last edited:
Wow! I'm getting a Gretsch Catalina kit in about a month, and looking through this thread makes me wanna have it even more! I'll make pictures when i get it.

Mr. Compact those Gretsch Customs are magnificent. What a find. Oooh weee, envious.

I was very lucky to have the first crack at these...18,12,12,14, 5.5. There's a center mounted rail with two holders. The toms don't have the diamond plate mount, it's oval shaped secured by two screws. All original heads except for the kick and snare batter.
However, two of the 12's were toast, so I took the bottom head off of one tom and used it for the batter side on the other. Unhit 60's Permatones that had never seen jazz tensioning judging from the cracking when I cranked them.

Attachments

• gretsch3a.JPG
    gretsch3a.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 4,981
Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 4-piece CT-J484 (Natural Satin)

Toms: 12x8", 14x14"
Snare: 14x5" wood
Kick: 18x14"

Cymbals: 14" Armand high hats 16" Armand medium thin crash, 10" Armand splash, 21" Avedis Sweet Ride

Extras: PDP 10" mini timbale, LP Cowbell.

Gretsch_kit_a.jpg

Gretsch_kit_c.jpg

Gretsch_kit_e.jpg

Beeeeeeee utiful. Love the natural wood. Good choice.

Thanks man... Truth be told, I was actually after Rustic Pearl.. but they didn't have it in stock, and offered me a deal on what they did have... natural Satin. Couldn't pass it up.

Thanks man... Truth be told, I was actually after Rustic Pearl.. but they didn't have it in stock, and offered me a deal on what they did have... natural Satin. Couldn't pass it up.
I have looked at the Rustic Pearl and the natural for a long time and either in my book is a winner. If I could get a decent deal on my Renowns I would buy one of those real quick.

Alright, so I finally got off my ass and took pics of my Renowns. Here you go!

Cuban, your set-up looks a helluva lot cooler than mine... nice work.

Attachments

• Renown pic 1 - resized.jpg
    Renown pic 1 - resized.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 5,842
  • Renown pic 3 resized.jpg
    Renown pic 3 resized.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 4,869
Back