Fan for drumming?

peety777

I'm looking at getting a fan to stop me overheating while playing.

M budget is £20. Can anyone recommend a fan for this price? Many thanks

I always opted to not have a fan. One less thing to carry, and I got used to playing in heat fairly quickly. Stages can get really hot, and if you don't have a fan for some reason, being used to one is going to make it worse. Your body can and will adjust to the heat.

With all due respect to bonzolead, I've had both and IMHO, this is the best fan you will ever own for drumming, period. Everyone who feels it in action ends up buying one. It's a well built squirrel cage design. Very efficient and quiet. The minute I felt one I had to have one. The blue one is the one you want, if you buy a Lasko. The yellow one is too big. Stanley makes a good one too, but it's gaudy yellow and black. The blue one isn't too obvious on stage. It's small, it pivots, and it moves major air. I can only use it on low. Plus it has a duplex outlet built in, in case you have an electric cape. As necessary to me as a good throne IMO, I get soaked sometimes. Plus you'll be the envy of all your bandmates!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-Multi-Purpose-Pivoting-Utility-Fan-U12100/19861415

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 2,228
Last edited:
With all due respect to bonzolead, I've had both and IMHO, this is the best fan you will ever own for drumming, period. Everyone who feels it in action ends up buying one. The keyboard player in my one band had one. I felt how much air it pushed and immediately put it on the list. The blue one is the one you want, if you buy from Wal Mart. The yellow one is too big. It's small and it kicks a$$. Plus it has a duplex outlet built in. Lifesaver, as necessary as a good throne IMO.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-Multi-Purpose-Pivoting-Utility-Fan-U12100/19861415

Just think how your cape would billow and flow with that thing making wind for ya! I bet it's not even that heavy, mom could surely collect such a small fan after your gig.

With all due respect to bonzolead, I've had both and IMHO, this is the best fan you will ever own for drumming, period. Everyone who feels it in action ends up buying one. It's a well built squirrel cage design. Very efficient and quiet. The minute I felt one I had to have one. The blue one is the one you want, if you buy a Lasko. The yellow one is too big. Stanley makes a good one too, but it's gaudy yellow and black. The blue one isn't too obvious on stage. It's small, it pivots, and it moves major air. I can only use it on low. Plus it has a duplex outlet built in, in case you have an electric cape. As necessary to me as a good throne IMO, I get soaked sometimes. Plus you'll be the envy of all your bandmates!

I have one of those! They're awesome! It also gets used on Monique photo shoots when we have to blow her hair around (imagine that, Larry ;)

Just think how your cape would billow and flow with that thing making wind for ya! I bet it's not even that heavy, mom could surely collect such a small fan after your gig.

That would actually work. A hundred dollars to anyone who posts a picture of themselves wearing a cape at a gig and has a fan blowing the cape. Watso will give you a hundred dollars.

Two hundred dollars for a pic with their Mom holding the cape. Watso agreed to that too.

That would actually work. A hundred dollars to anyone who posts a picture of themselves wearing a cape at a gig and has a fan blowing the cape. Watso will give you a hundred dollars.

Two hundred dollars for a pic with their Mom holding the cape. Watso agreed to that too.

Cool, I'm in!! Now where did I put that old Polaroid camera?

Same here. One for indoor and two for outdoor island gigs (it's very humid down here). The flow is amazing and the outlets are nice for laptops and other electronics.

Yea, go right ahead and bill me. Make sure you put the return address for me.

I've had three of these style fans, 2 (yellow) STANLEYS and a blue LASCO like this. I would recommend staying away from the blue LASCO, they're made in China and the quality isn't worth the price (the yellow STANLEYS were made by LASCO actually, AIR KINGS too). What does these cheaper made blower fans in most of the time is dropping them, having them fall off a drum cart etc.etc. Their bodies are real cheap plastic, as are the tumbler blade cages. The AC courtesy plugs are a nice touch tho.

They're difficult to clean when the tumbler blades get dirty, you have to disassemble the whole fan (you then get to see how cheap the materials are).

My advise b/f buying one of these is plug it in, listen for humming in the motor, put you hand on the unit and feel for vibration which is a sure indication the tumbler blade has issues. Fins crack, holes aren't drilled center (china) etc. You'll have to compare a few together to get a sense of differences, tho I can guarantee you some will exhibit more tell tale vibration than others, you want to pick the smoothest one (this goes for any fan purchase, vibe them out b/f you buy if you can). Whatever you do if you buy one of these fans is make sure you save your receipt.

My two STANLEYS expired due to weak bodies and my blue LASKO'S motor would only work on one speed and had an audible hum in less than a year.

Look for blower fans with an ABS plastic body/housing, they're out there and they can take the rigors of gigging. Colours are tough, its hard to find a black fan. I painted one of my yellow STANLEYS with black KRYLON FUSION.

BLOWIT FANS is making an attempt at drum set fans, tho the market is still wide open for a good design for sure.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    225 KB · Views: 2,166
Fair enough Les. Mine has outperformed every cooling device I tried. Mine doesn't seem nearly as cheap as you make it out to be. Time will tell. These are the fans that contractors use to dry out your carpets when your hot water heater fails or your washer overflows. I expect to get many years of service from mine before it fails. But if it fails early, I'll let you know.

Back