Using yoga ball as drum throne?

I don't think it'd be stable enough and also if you're shorter the width of the ball may prevent your feet from hitting the pedals.

They made a throne that had a bit of undulation to it (rocked back & forth) but I believe it was discontinued.

Use a regular throne, practice good posture principles and you'll be all the better for it.

Thanks for the responses! I've been having some leg circulation issues and was just wondering if it might be a viable option.

I play for really long amounts of time... 4-12 hours in a day sometimes. With my old 50 dollar special throne, I'd have back issues, and lose circulation in my legs after long stints.

I shelled out $130 for a Pork Pie memory foam seat, and it 100% solved both issues. It's literally like sitting on a comfy couch. My band mates call it my "drum sofa". The foam is so thick that it moves around just a bit and never bottoms out. The base of the throne is super solid and doesn't move at all. Only slight downside is that it's heavy and a pain to haul around to shows, at least compared to the old lighter throne... Nothing I really even need to mention.

I did this a couple times, esp. when practicing double pedal. It was cool and beneficial for proper posture and also to find good balance on the 'throne' but I noticed that my core muscles got tired of sitting on a yoga/Swiss ball after a while so I switched to my regular throne and/or did a break. It will strengthen your core muscles if you keep doing this on a regular basis. Just don't go for several hours in a row, this will be way too much for your body.

I don't think it would be a bad idea; Gibraltar do the Dome Throne with a dome top (unsurprisingly) which is designed to force good posture. It's more expensive, but you'd be able to adjust the height etc, without the danger of rolling off the stage!

At my age I have trouble sitting on my throne with a backrest, (And I don't even drink anymore) I can just imagine myself trying to sit on a giant ball :)

Thanks for the responses! I've been having some leg circulation issues and was just wondering if it might be a viable option.

Give it try. It sounds comfortable. You might consider building a small wooden frame so the ball doesn't inadvertently roll off to one side with you on it.

There are several different sizes of balls that should accommodate different heights. I don't think it would be hazardous at all as I frequently use one in my family room to sit on for core strengthening. I will have to try it behind the kit for grins. I'm sure I would never use one on stage as the possibility of puncture in different/unknown situations would be a distraction if it popped. Therefore not professional.

I've wondered about doing this but I always thought it had enormous potential to end up in disaster. Having read that other people have managed it without undue catastrophic consequences, I'm inclined to give it a go.

Please think twice about using an exercise ball for drumming, they're not stable.

LMAO!!!!!! that right there is funny!

I would like to suggest if you are having leg circulation issues you might want to consult your Dr about that more than anything to make sure there isn't a medical condition that needs to be treated.

Back