For the Love of Jazz Musicians

Thanks for providing that link. I gladly signed.

I don't live anywhere near New York, but I'm a big Jazz fan and believe working Jazz musicians, as well as musicians everywhere, deserve much better than what they have been given so far.

Thanks aydee. I was more than happy to sign.

Why just jazz musicians?

Because in this case Local 802 is trying to convince New York State to eliminate the sales tax charged for admission into Jazz clubs and instead place that money into the pension fund. These Jazz musicians should already be participating in the Union pension.

Because in this case Local 802 is trying to convince New York State to eliminate the sales tax charged for admission into Jazz clubs and instead place that money into the pension fund. These Jazz musicians should already be participating in the Union pension.

According to the video, they have no pension or health benefits when they retire. It's why I asked about just jazz musicians. Seems like there may be more to this then what is being portrayed. What are 802's rules for pensions and health benefits. Are paying into the pension or health benefit funds optional, or does it exist at all? If so, should the state subsidize those that don't pay into the funds if that's their choice? Playing devils advocate here.

According to the video, they have no pension or health benefits when they retire. It's why I asked about just jazz musicians. Seems like there may be more to this then what is being portrayed. What are 802's rules for pensions and health benefits. Are paying into the pension or health benefit funds optional, or does it exist at all? If so, should the state subsidize those that don't pay into the funds if that's their choice?

Yeah i saw the video and i thought that was a little misleading. It's implying there is no pension whatsoever for these jazz musicians. If you read the petition, it states that 802
wants to divert the sales tax charged for admission at jazz clubs to go into the pension fund. It's not about "creating" a pension fund.

To answer your questions, go to the union's site via the petition. If these Jazz musicians are members of the union, they have access to health and pension benefits. However, since a "pension" is employer funded, meaning the musician cannot contribute on thier own, they may have a hard time especially if thier livelyhood is based on club owners versus broadway producers etc... This may be what the union is eluding to.

Any 802 members out there that can comment?

Back