The Drumeo website/courses

Team13chad

I am a novice and am looking to dive into a good lesson system.

Do any of you recommend the Drumeo website/Edge membership?

It looks to be pretty enjoyable.

I am looking to learn the RIGHT way by learning to read transcription, etc.

i do.. the lessons are great.. the people are very nice and its there 24/7 so you can work on things whenever you want :)

I havent taken any lessons from the site, but Drumeo is based in my area and I've met a few of them; all REALLY great guys. I take in person lessons with Mike Michalkow...I know he also has the "Drumming System" and does Skype lessons. Might be worth checking out.

Good website. I'm not a fan of any 'regular' instructors (especially he-who-shall-not-be-named, the very incarnation of smarmy assery) but the guest lessons are relatively consistent, if light in actual teaching.

I will always recommend an in-person private lesson instructor over a generic online catalog, but Drumeo isn't the worst option. Mike Johnston's site might fit you better but that's something for you to try out yourself.

I've checked out material from both Drumeo and Mike Johnston, and they are both good. I've purchased a few modules from Mike, and they were excellent.

That said, for a novice these sites are not as good, by a long shot, as getting a teacher for one-on-one lessons. It's just a different level that can't be duplicated online, especially in your early years of technique building.

Might want to look into one on one Skype lessons as well. There are many drummers on line who offer these and can be really beneficial over or alongside downloaded lessons.

D

I've checked out material from both Drumeo and Mike Johnston, and they are both good. I've purchased a few modules from Mike, and they were excellent.

That said, for a novice these sites are not as good, by a long shot, as getting a teacher for one-on-one lessons. It's just a different level that can't be duplicated online, especially in your early years of technique building.

Honestly i don't agree with that... I tried a personal teacher and got more out of drumeo.. They have weekly student reviews where you can send in a video of you playing to see what areas or techniques you need to focus on cleaning up/improving. They will make personalized lesson plans so you aren't just going blindly along. And answer any questions or give help on any subject. Also.. 1200+ lessons on almost any genre from beginner to pretty much pro level. I did not see any single facet that a personal teacher could help me over that. And being there 24/7 means that for people like me (old with a shit memory) it is there anytime for me to practice with and get refreshed :) And it's super cheap..

Not trying to sound like a shill.. but it really is a great place to learn:)

P.S. There is also Stephens drum shed (google the url).. Run by stephen taylor. hes a great teacher and is putting out really good lessons. Worth checking out :)

I am a novice and am looking to dive into a good lesson system.

Do any of you recommend the Drumeo website/Edge membership?

It looks to be pretty enjoyable.

It may be, I don't know. I don't recommend Drumeo products for anyone who wants to actually learn how to play. If you just want to fool around with the drums a little bit, and never do anything but practice the little "lessons" they give you, I'd say go for it-- I'm sure there's plenty there to be sort-of entertained with for awhile.

I am looking to learn the RIGHT way by learning to read transcription, etc.

I would not call Drumeo instruction "the right way" to learn those things.

My advice is that you find a professional teacher, get a few lessons, and begin playing with people as soon as you can, as often as you can. When you can afford it, get some more lessons.

Back