My 2014 NAMM report

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
My 2014 NAMM report on drums and percussion, with many pictures, is now up on my business blog!

http://problemsandresults.com/blog/?p=104

Feel free to ask any questions.

Also we had the official 2014 Drummerworld NAMM Meet up

dw_meetup.jpg

left to right: bobacwrd, Jack Boyd, Bermuda, masonni, DrumEatDrum

In addition I got to hang and/or talk with forum members Derek Roddy, Paul Quinn, drumnhands, Kevin@Mapex, and BillRayDrums.

On a different note, I found out Gene Okamoto is retiring from Peal. I have known Gene since I was 17 when we worked together at DrumWorld in San Francisco. I learned so much about drums from our years working together. He took me to my first NAMM way back when. Now all these later, Gene is retiring from the drum business. So this was our last NAMM together. I am a better person for knowing him. I have no idea what I'll do with myself next January when he isn't there.
gene.jpg

Did you see that cymbal kit at Turkish cymbals?... It intrigued me very much.

Very much lol x)

I had never seen anything like it before so i couldn't take my eyes away

Nice report. Looks like you guys had a good time. Maybe your friend Gene will go back sometime, just for old time's sake.

Would you happen to know where I could find out more about those Goai drums. I did a search and nothing turned up. Your observations on the 18" kick got me interested.

Nice report. Looks like you guys had a good time. Maybe your friend Gene will go back sometime, just for old time's sake.

Would you happen to know where I could find out more about those Goai drums. I did a search and nothing turned up. Your observations on the 18" kick got me interested.

Opps, that's because I mis-spelled it.

Here you go: http://gaaidrums.com/.

I'm the web guy for Stone Custom as well as an endorser. That Koa kit is down in my garage and will be making its video debut very soon, like this week...

Bernie Stone is the guy who built Neil Peart's Ludwig kits for him back in the early 1990's before he was a DW guy. That candy apple red and the pinkish white pearl finish one. He's a legendary guy who has tons of great stories and he even hung out with Buddy Rich for an entire day once.

If you guys have any questions about the drums feel free to ask.

As far as the site goes, we now have a better set of photos & content due to NAMM and I"m going to be getting them up and on the site very soon. Bernie's a total 'Luddite' in terms of the computer (an inside joke between us, haha) and getting him to do things like upload pics to dropbox has been a bit of a learning curve but by golly, he's doing it now! :D

Soon...as they say.

A great report Ian, & as always, I respect your non partisan view.

I did want to ask - you say many companies have moved to upper levels in the convention centre. Is this to facilitate individual rooms away from the general noise do you think? Are we only talking about the big boys who essentially want their own suites? Reason for me asking is, I'm considering attending (as Guru) next year.

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks for the report! And thank you for the pictures from the Premier booth.
One of my thoughts: That Natal stave snare don't look to be turned/lathed on the inside? It looks quite un-finished? I have never seen anyone else do that. I can't imagine that the unfinished inside would provide any positive sonical features. Or am i wrong here?

One of my thoughts: That Natal stave snare don't look to be turned/lathed on the inside? It looks quite un-finished? I have never seen anyone else do that. I can't imagine that the unfinished inside would provide any positive sonical features. Or am i wrong here?
You're correct. Nothing wrong with it essentially, but it's asking for errant high overtone issues, & it's a cost saving measure. Natal have a history (under the previous ownership) of producing conga & other "earth" instruments in this construction offshore, They've followed a similar path with this snare range, & added their cast hardware to it. The upshot is, it's a very economically priced stave snare. A fairly thick shell, a very traditional/crude approach. Not getting even close to the raft of benefits such a construction inherently offers, but it's still a great value for money entry into an alternative sound. A most valid option if you're looking for a focussed instrument at that price point.

On a different note, I found out Gene Okamoto is retiring from Peal. I have known Gene since I was 17 when we worked together at DrumWorld in San Francisco. I learned so much about drums from our years working together. He took me to my first NAMM way back when. Now all these later, Gene is retiring from the drum business. So this was our last NAMM together. I am a better person for knowing him. I have no idea what I'll do with myself next January when he isn't there.
gene.jpg

Nice to have a photo to peg with Gene. I had a problem with my Pearl Eliminators once and Gene was a super helpful and nice guy on the Pearl Forums. Got in touch with the store I bought them from and arranged for a brand new one to be given to me. I even got an extra chain drive to go with the existing straps.

Sad to hear he's retiring, but I'm sure he deserves it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the great report. I and others appreciate it I'm sure.

The winner is Gretsch's 3-ply prototype kit. Wow and stunning.

Also I must say I'd love to hear what Stone drums sound and play like, being a huge Slingerland fan.

I s'pose it's a labor of love for you, but is a lot of work and a great service nonetheless.This a huge deal and thanks so much for it.

Did you see that cymbal kit at Turkish cymbals?... It intrigued me very much.

Very much lol x)

I had never seen anything like it before so i couldn't take my eyes away

Were you there? You should have spoken up before hand and met up with us!

Thanks for those NAMM reports (I read the older ones too). And I take a sandwich to work each day ;-)...

Dutch

Sweet! :)

WEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Good times!

Indeed!

A great report Ian, & as always, I respect your non partisan view.

I did want to ask - you say many companies have moved to upper levels in the convention centre. Is this to facilitate individual rooms away from the general noise do you think? Are we only talking about the big boys who essentially want their own suites? Reason for me asking is, I'm considering attending (as Guru) next year.

Cheers, Andy.

Yes Andy. Some of the move is logistics. But much of it is to have dedicated space away from the noise of the main floor. Pearl moved upstairs so they could have their own dedicated room away from the general noise of the main floors.

Fender guitars had moved to the 2nd some years ago so they could set up their own world that was larger than what they had before. This year, they moved their world up to the 3rd floor, and brought along KMS (Gretsch, LP, Toca, Gibraltar) to have all their brands in ONE place. (Fender owns KMS, but they have previously presented themselves as separate entities).

DW on the other hand, moved into a smaller space upstairs. Three years ago they wouldn't even let anyone in who wasn't a dealer. The last two years they let people in, but I can't help but feel like it's more of a snob factor than an "escape the noise" factor.

Regardless of why, it means a lot more walking for attendees to see everything. Which honestly, is a bummer.

But the moves upstairs have opened the main floor to more and more and more boutique drum and cymbal companies. Where as previously, such companies could only ever get space in the basement level (Hall E).

One thing to keep in mind, if you're not on the main floor, you get much less general foot traffic. You really have to seek out the vendors on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Established brands can do it because people are willing to brave the extra walking and the seeking out of where they've hidden themselves to go visit. A small room for a new brand might not get noticed. On the other hand, the noise in Hall D, where the vast majority of drums are displayed, does get unbearable with the noise on the weekend.

Thanks for the great report! Its amazing that I missed quite a few of these, just by not paying as close attention :)

I played on that Gaai kit for a while on Saturday, and had a couple people come over to listen, from many booths over! Said to me "Man, this kit sounds great, I heard it from way over there and came over." Its kind of sad, because based on the salesman, it seemed like nobody was really giving them much love. He was practically begging people to play the kit and take pictures of it. To be honest, the drums were pretty ugly in my opinion, but did sound great.
(The kit was really small, a 18" kick, small tom up, and maybe a 14" floor.)
Most impressive was the SNARE DRUM! That thing was a beast. Had the yamaha style wood hoops, man, that thing gave a CRACK!

To answer your question re: Axis... Alfred Berengena plays drums for Baalphagor (technical death metal) and is also a DW artist. If you know Derek Roddy, this guy is similar all around, just not as well known.

One thing that actually impressed me, was Soultone cymbals. I have a few friends who are endorsed by them, but due to their logo (and the quality of my friends playing) I assumed the cymbals were pretty weak. But they were actually pretty solid sounding cymbals. And a wide variety of sounds. Who knew?!

anyways, thanks again!
x CHRIS x
(oh and one other small plug, SJC announced Tre from Green Day is now on their roster. Nice guy).

Back