help choosing new drum heads(please)

elliotdrummer7227

hi. for christmas i got a new premier cabria xpk. but now i have enough money for some new heads.
i only need snare a tom and two floor tom heads beacause my bass sounds awesome:)
the shells are 100% maple and i like metal!
i like them the toms to have a warm punch to them with medium ring and snare to have a low fatt pop!
i don't mind any make so please help!
coated or clear?
thanks in advance

elliot

If you want to play metal, you want to get some two plies for sure, that will take a lot of the ring out, but leave some of it in like you said.
For the toms, you could go with some Evans G2 coated, which will give it plenty of low end and punch.
You could also go with some Remo's Ebony Suede Emperors or just plain Ebony Emperors.
Since your set is maple, it will already have a lower and warmer tone, so you could go with just some Remo Pinstripes which is what I have on mine right now and I play some metal.
As for the snare, you could go with A Remo Controlled Sound coated.
It has a powerdot for increased strength and ring reduction.
I'm sure Evans has a comparable head, but I'm not as familiar with Evans heads.
Either way, the maple shells will do most of the warming up of the tone for you.
Just tune the heads you get right past the wrinkles, making the resonant heads a slight bit tighter than than the batter, an you'll be rocking in no time.

I'd agree with the Remo Pinstripes on toms (coated for more attack, clear for a rounder tone), and the Remo Controlled Sound on the snare. Fat, fat, fat snare sound out of that bad boy.

I'm a huge fan of the Evans EQ3 on both sides of the bass drum. Nothing else inside. Tune everything up only as much as necessary to make them sing (you'll know).

Man if your buying a certain head because it matches the color of your kit better.....well I won't even comment any further.

Please tell me I misread...it is late

Man if your buying a certain head because it matches the color of your kit better.....well I won't even comment any further.

you misread beacuase i only chose them as a option because someoe recomended them to me anyway are AQUARIAN PERFORMANCE 2 CLEAR TWIN PLY CONTROL RING good for metal/rock

SORRY I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND ABOUT THE HEADS

my options are::
remo coated emperors
evans g2 coated
aquarian performance 2 clear twin ply control ring

What's the point of having a great sounding head if every time you look at it you say, "MAN, my kit is ugly with those heads"? You should be 100% in love with your kit- look, feel, and sound.

i have changed my mind on the heads once again! so i was going with the black suede until i added the prices up and the were to much:(:(:(:( so now my options are :
Aquarian performance 2 (2ply with control rings)
evans g2 (clear or coated)
remo pinstripe (clear or coated)
remo controlled sound dot clear
remo emperor clear or coated?????please i need a quick reply cos i am going to the store tomorrow(its evening time now)

elliot

Last edited:
Back