Legless Hi Hat stand

Beam Me Up Scotty

Silver Member
Recently I added a pedal mounted cowbell to my kit. The problem with this, was that my 3 legged hi-hat stand really got in the way of having a slave pedal, hi-hat pedal, and a cowbell pedal.

I was considering buying one of those overly-fancy 2 legged Iron Cobra hi-hat stands to accommodate, but then I realized I actually had a solution at my fingertips.
I have a 3-sided rack, and normally one could just attach the hi-hat to that, but then for me it would cause all sorts of issues with cymbal placement, as my rack would then be far too close to me.

Instead, I took the base tripod of one of my unused cymbal stands, and jerry-rigged an attachment made of 2 tambourine mounts to give my now close-legged hi-hat stand stability.

I plan on buying another one of the attachments seen on the left (attached to the tripod), and then placing my other tambourine clamp back on the hi-hat, since my tambourine is now homeless.

All in all, I will have spent about $25 to solve this problem, rather than the frankly ridiculous $240 for a new hi-hat stand. This has no doubt been done before, but what the hey, figure I'd throw it out there for anyone else who may have had the same problem, and hadn't thought of a solution.
As far as stability is concerned, it feels surprisingly good. There's very little, if any noticeable wobble to the stand. I definitely plan on keeping my stand this way.
I also apologize for the not-good cellphone-quality pics, but my iPod touch was all I had handy at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_0314[1].JPG
    IMG_0314[1].JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0315[1].JPG
    IMG_0315[1].JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 335
Re: Legless Hi-Hat Stand

Nice rig! I had actually thought about doing this before with other stands, but this just made me realize that I have all the ingredients to do a bass-drum mounted stabilizer... holy crap, that'd save me $30 when I get a second stand. I will check out this solution tomorrow and report back.

Looks like if you could get a little longer connecting bar, you could clamp it off from that rack leg, though it may be a trick of perspective.

OR I'LL REPORT BACK AT 2:45 AM: IT TOTALLY WORKED. Took a DW hoop clamp percussion mount and half of a Tama MCA73EN. Will post pictures tomorrow, then.

Last edited:

Nice rig! I had actually thought about doing this before with other stands, but this just made me realize that I have all the ingredients to do a bass-drum mounted stabilizer... holy crap, that'd save me $30 when I get a second stand. I will check out this solution tomorrow and report back.

Looks like if you could get a little longer connecting bar, you could clamp it off from that rack leg, though it may be a trick of perspective.

Thanks Porter!

It's definitely a cost-effective way of getting things done, for sure.
As for the rack leg, it definitely is a forced perspective; the leg is almost a foot and a half away from the tripod base.

And silly me! Why would I buy another tambourine mount-like-thing, when I could just buy one of Pearl's extending multi-clamps? That'd solve everything, and create less possible points of failure, plus it would be more sturdy.

I forsee a trip to Long & McQuade in the next couple of days.

I had a legless stand given to me. An old Tama unit. Works quite well.​

Attachments

• r1 3 ply luddie-gretsch kick.jpg
    r1 3 ply luddie-gretsch kick.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 313

OR I'LL REPORT BACK AT 2:45 AM: IT TOTALLY WORKED. Took a DW hoop clamp percussion mount and half of a Tama MCA73EN. Will post pictures tomorrow, then.

Hell yes, that's awesome.

harryconway, I'd love an actual legless stand like that, but this was my cost-effective way of going about it! :)

Sorry if the picture is a little big, I'm doing this from my phone. It totally works, and now I have the opportunity to work on some reversed foot coordination before I get a second stand.

IMG_20140403_122815.JPG

Hey, now it works!

Last edited:
That's pretty damn nice looking.
Also, loving the finish on your kit, it looks real nice.

Back