Custom Sticks?...

adamdrums51

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with playing a custom drum stick company. I realize that it is much easier to just go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash and grab the Vic Firth or Vater sticks (among many other), but I feel like there must be some pretty amazing custom companies out there that do a great job with sticks.

Any info or wisdom would be great!

Thanks!

Well, just like anything "custom" ordered, such as drums, sticks or anything in a one off custom design, how will you be able to try the sticks before hand to actually know how they'll feel in Your hands? Sticks are a very personal item and should be auditioned before you make the purchase, especially if you're talking about larger quantities. Just a tiny bit of difference in weight, length, width or tip configuration could be a personal deal breaker if they don't fit you. Would the sticks be returnable? Most custom items are not. If you can return the item if it doesn't quite work out for you, then have a go at it.

There are just so many well made products from a variety of manufacturers that you can buy off the shelves being able to make direct comparisons on the equipment and being able to leave the store with confidence that you actually bought something that really fits you and will work in your situation. Don't buy "custom" just for the sake of being able to say that you play with custom sticks.

Just my opinion on "custom", anything.

Dennis

I agree with Dennis. Pro Mark, Vic Firth, Regal Tip, etc. all make so many models of sticks that I have a hard time believing that there is a need for custom sticks.

Last edited:
There are companies around but the biggest problem I see is the need to buy at least a dozen pair or so to get started then worry about consistency

There's probably some "custom" drumsticks outlet out there, but when you consider the enormous choice given already by all the leading brands, all the "regular" models and "signature" models available, in different wood species or indeed synthetic material, with wood or nylon tip, I'd say you'll find the "perfect" stick, although it might take a lifetime to try them all...

... incidentally, anyone has tried the Vic Firth SD5 Echo? I'm considering buying just one pair to try, but none of the music shops I go to have them in stock.

paire-de-baguettes-vic-firth-sd5---american-custom-echo.jpg

I agree with Dennis. Pro Mark, Vic Firth, Regal Tip, etc. all make so many models of sticks that I have a hard time believing that there is need for custom sticks.

The one thing that gets me is finding the perfect stick with the perfect tip. Lately I've been using SD9 and HD9 sticks, but I wish I could get them in a proper ball tip.

... incidentally, anyone has tried the Vic Firth SD5 Echo? I'm considering buying just one pair to try, but none of the music shops I go to have them in stock.

paire-de-baguettes-vic-firth-sd5---american-custom-echo.jpg

Yeah, I had a pair of these once. They were pretty interesting. They felt like you were holding a nice sized stick, but the end felt extremely thin and light. Almost like you're only holding the back half of a stick. They sounded GREAT at low volumes. I'd say they're worth a try, even if just for the experience. I think they'd be great in a light combo setting.

....as far as custom sticks go, I'd have to find a reason to have them. I think I can find sticks made now, as can many others, that fit me. I guess if I was going to ask for a stick, it would be a cross between a American Classic 5A and a 7A.

added: or, in tech specs, hickory, probably 16.5" long, .550" diameter, tapered, tear-drop tip.

Yeah, I had a pair of these once. They were pretty interesting. They felt like you were holding a nice sized stick, but the end felt extremely thin and light. Almost like you're only holding the back half of a stick. They sounded GREAT at low volumes. I'd say they're worth a try, even if just for the experience. I think they'd be great in a light combo setting.

Thanks Mikey, yes, the back end is a nice size, comparable to an SD2 Bolero, but the top end seem very light and thin, I want a stick for low volume playing, but still having a comfortable diameter for the grip, I was concerned about the balance of such a design, I'll will definitely check them out, thanks again.

Don't do it. Customdrumstix seems to have shut down. Their not taking orders anymore and they won't say when they will be back. I guess the co-owner was stealing money from them or something. Go to your local music store!

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with playing a custom drum stick company. I realize that it is much easier to just go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash and grab the Vic Firth or Vater sticks (among many other), but I feel like there must be some pretty amazing custom companies out there that do a great job with sticks.

Any info or wisdom would be great!

Thanks!

Thanks Mikey, yes, the back end is a nice size, comparable to an SD2 Bolero, but the top end seem very light and thin, I want a stick for low volume playing, but still having a comfortable diameter for the grip, I was concerned about the balance of such a design, I'll will definitely check them out, thanks again.

Try the VF Peter Erskine Ride Stick. It is not quite the SD2 thickness (I don't think; I have not had a pair in years), but it has some girth in the grip and a very light touch. I use SD9 most of the time, even small combo, but I love the sound of these sticks on a particular ride of mine. Once I found the SD9 I don't often buy anything else.

Don't do it. Customdrumstix seems to have shut down. Their not taking orders anymore and they won't say when they will be back. I guess the co-owner was stealing money from them or something. Go to your local music store!

Not the case.

Do not place orders, CDX is not taking them.

Legal issues between the two partners are going on.
Issues will be resolved. The partner that was in charge of the site, and the office/business side of the partnership (who was not the person making the sticks) may, or may not, be doing sticks after their issues are settled in court.

Not the case.

Do not place orders, CDX is not taking them.

Legal issues between the two partners are going on.
Issues will be resolved. The partner that was in charge of the site, and the office/business side of the partnership (who was not the person making the sticks) may, or may not, be doing sticks after their issues are settled in court.

I bought a ride cymbal off of one the guys involved a few months back. He seemed like he wanted to get it going again eventually. Very nice guy!

The sad truth about custom stick makers is the price. They're typically cheaper per pair, but you have to buy them in bulk, so if you pay for the sticks and don't like them, you're stuck with them and you're out the money.

I hear good things about the Customstix company, but I just don't have money to waste. I use Vater 5B Nudes, and I've NEVER broken a pair. In fact, Vater is the only brand of stick I've never broken.

I would love to walk into a stickmaker like Vic Firth, have them make a stick based on what I'm looking for, try it, tell them what I like and don't like, have them modify it, try it, confirm it's what I want, and then order.
That, to me, is a custom stick. Made for me. You don't phone in specs for a stick sight unseen and order 100 pair. While yes, technically those would be made for me, it's not the same.
Getting a custom stick made should be like getting a custom suit made by a tailor. Measurements are made, fittings are done. Very hands-on.
Earlier in this thread I spit out some specs, but even those may be way off from what I was looking for. It was a guess on what I might like. I'd never buy them based on that without trying them first. No way.

The sad truth about custom stick makers is the price. They're typically cheaper per pair, but you have to buy them in bulk, so if you pay for the sticks and don't like them, you're stuck with them and you're out the money.

I don't get this. The idea behind custom made sticks is that you sit down with a stick maker and design a stick to your specs and requirements. The final run only goes ahead once you've approved the design. There is plenty of time during the design stage to figure out if you don't like them.....and if you don't, you keep working on it until you get it right. Why would you place the bulk order before that point?

When I had my sticks made for me in the 90's, we tweaked the design several times before I gave the go ahead for the final order. That's the most time consuming part, once the specs are done they are set and subsequent orders are a piece of cake. Yeah you buy in bulk, that's the whole point.....that's how they become cost effective. And when compared to a similar size order from any of the majors, the savings are huge.

Back