Drum Survey regarding Custom Built snares

drummerguy103

Hello,

As part of my final year of school I'm required to undergo a research project and naturally, as a drummer, have chosen to design a snare drum.

I need your opinion as part of my research and have set up a short minute long survey for drummers regarding snare drums and custom built snare drums. Below is the address, it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could complete this.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KKZ9SFF

Thanks all,

drummerguy103

Done, but there's a couple of holes in your survey mate.

1. You mention manufacturers but don't offer specifics. I think a top of the range snare from all those makers could be considered great depending on the circumstances. But the bottom of the barrel stuff not so much. It would be good to see some separation between the entry level and the high end.

2. You want to make a snare drum so are asking our opinions about all sorts of things, but not once have you given us the option of "sound." As it's the basis of all my snare drum purchasing decisions, it's a glaring oversight. Sure aesthetics are important to me. I don't want some tacky, cheap looking drum. But even if it has classic looks, if it sounds like shite I'm gonna walk away. If I was building a snare that would be a fundamental priority to get right.

As an aside, given the sheer amount of college kids wanting us to complete surveys recently, looks like you're gonna have some hefty competition in the drum making field. Is drum making the only thing being taught in school these days? I've seen more guys doing dissertations on drum making recently, than I've seen drummers to play them......what gives?

2. You want to make a snare drum so are asking our opinions about all sorts of things, but not once have you given us the option of "sound." As it's the basis of all my snare drum purchasing decisions, it's a glaring oversight. Sure aesthetics are important to me. I don't want some tacky, cheap looking drum. But even if it has classic looks, if it sounds like shite I'm gonna walk away. If I was building a snare that would be a fundamental priority to get right.
Absolutely this /\ /\ /\ /\

A very limited survey. You can't select multiple options, & that's just not real life. Players choose drums for many reasons, rarely just one.

Funny that it's a survey about custom drums, yet only Brady comes anywhere near being a custom maker. Aside from that, the list of manufacturers is very narrow indeed. "Custom" is a broad church. Everything from those offering a range of finishes on generic hardware & bought in shells, to high end drumsmiths crafting distinctive drums of their own creation. TBH, I'm not sure what useful info you're going to get from this, other than (from a limited list) what brand do you like, does that brand make a good snare, & pick a main feature from a list of mainly aesthetic choices.

Unique sound is most important to me and was not listed in final question.
components and quality of construction was the best second choice for me.

"custom" should mean you have most if not all options available to choose from.

There are tons of "custom" shops out there and I think it would not be fair to the "average" poll taker to recognize them all. Hence, the list of Mfg was listed as such with the top retailers names that most any drummer would recognize.

I can't imagine why "sound" was not an option but I hope you get an "A" on this assignment just the same.

I didn't do the survey due to how poorly prepared it was.

Hey all,

Thanks for the response, in the survey and in here. I was only going to send this survey to people that I knew but got very little response so I expanded it.

I've taken into account the constructive criticism and changed some of the questions to suit.

Regards,

Zac

Thanks, a much better survey, except for question # 6 - you didn't include SOUND as one of the options!

Bermuda

Back