Famous drummers and their fanboys.

N

Noestre

Anyone feel sorry for Travis Barker, Joey Jordison or Neil Peart for having fanboys putting them up on pedestals. Saying that "their teh besststs!" etc.

Take this comment for example, which was on a Buddy Rich youtube clip:"1 travis barker 2 joey jordenson 3 lars ulritch 4 niel part 5 jon bonhem  thesie r the f'''ing best drummer ever dumbass go lern somthing noob"

I mean come on. What's with the comparing. What's with the blatant faboyism and horrible grammar? When did music become a sport of displaying and comparing techniques, instead of sharing and inspiring other musicians/drummers?

You'll never hear the drummers themselves saying that they're the best.

They're just kids Thaard. (Not the famous drummers you mentioned) Or at least they act like kids. It's all good, everybody has to be immature for a good many years before you (hopefully) outgrow it.
I feel no sorrow for Travis Barker and the others.
I feel sorry for starving kids whose parents won't move to where there's food.
Travis has many people before him that deserve my sorrow

I always found it so weird that they think guys like barker are better than ballard! I really don't see how they can, for the life of me!

I know it's all personal opinion, and blah blah blah nobody is better than anyone else, but buddy is out of barker's world! Not saying travis is'nt good, I have heard some pretty cool stories about him.

Like, my friend saw a guy my age playing drums, he was okay....half way through the lights go down and he whipps out glowsticks.....i hated it, but i could be entertaining to some. My friend then said " He is unf***ing believable!....look at the glowsticks!"

Yes, I think I have just proved that some people are so stupid as to think that what a musician wears and acts like makes him good or bad. It's like saying Messi is the best soccer player in the world because he has awesome boots!

Yes, I think I have just proved that some people are so stupid as to think that what a musician wears and acts like makes him good or bad. It's like saying Messi is the best soccer player in the world because he has awesome boots!
I really don´t think it´s because people are stupid or ignorant, i believe its how they percept a performance, a drummer or initiated musician percept(or listening) to music on a nother level than a non-drummer or musician, we are our own worst critiques. Maybe the avarage-joe or how you would describe the ordinary audience maybe judge a musician not only because he likes the song but how he gets enertained. I think its rather refreshing that the ordinary listener can go out and just have good fun watching his favourite band no matter the skills of the musicians.
were excluding people with this nonsense-elitism.

Famous drummers that I'm a fanboy of:

Tommy Aldridge
Kenny Aronoff
John Blackwell
John Bonham
Dennis Chambers
Billy Cobham
Vinnie Colaiuta
Steve Gadd
Benny Greb
Gavin Harrison
Thomas Lang
Jo Jo Mayer
Neil Peart
Scott Phillips
Simon Phillips
Mike Portnoy
Buddy Rich
Steve Smith
Dave Weckl

Don't like it...too bad!

Last edited:
As I said in another thread, this is why I dislike the WFD, as it promotes the idea that drums are a sport.

And we have so many fan boys going around slamming everyone else for not being as fast as or as good as or something as so-and-so.

i can understand those kids, because when i first started playing the drums 12 years ago, i went with my big sister and saw blink live right when travis joined blink, i was about 9 years old. i remember thinking man that guy is awesome i wanna play the drums and be just like him, and in my mind he was the best, and he kept me drumming, i was committed to it because i wanted to be like him for about 4 years, then i was older and started to grasp an understanding of percussion and skill level, then explored the art.

eventually i learned to play all his tunes, and the realized he was not one of the great drummers on the planet. but i will always like travis barkers drumming, and he is for sure one of the great promoters for drumming.

I really don´t think it´s because people are stupid or ignorant, i believe its how they percept a performance, a drummer or initiated musician percept(or listening) to music on a nother level than a non-drummer or musician, we are our own worst critiques. Maybe the avarage-joe or how you would describe the ordinary audience maybe judge a musician not only because he likes the song but how he gets enertained. I think its rather refreshing that the ordinary listener can go out and just have good fun watching his favourite band no matter the skills of the musicians.
were excluding people with this nonsense-elitism.

everyone is different i suppose.I just did'nt like the fact that he thought he was a good drummer because his sticks glowed, i don't mind tricks but atleast do something that requires skill like keeping a groove while spinning. Thats just me, i think it was the way he reacted that is what got me, he was like a boy at christman, you might think thats cute and nice, but when he saw that he imeadiatly disregarded all of the other soloists and said he was the best guy on stage.

speaking of fanboys, i do have guys that i never stop thinking are great, thinking about it, why does it matter if they are great or not, a fanboy is a fanboy!:)

The word fanboy creeps me out.

When the name of the game, was set in place: Marketing, which includes contributing factors such as (The Best, Versus, Fast, Speed, Expensive, Famous Make and so on).

When did music become a sport of displaying and comparing techniques, instead of sharing and inspiring other musicians/drummers?

You'll never hear the drummers themselves saying that they're the best.

Take this comment for example, which was on a Buddy Rich youtube clip:"1 travis barker 2 joey jordenson 3 lars ulritch 4 niel part 5 jon bonhem  thesie r the f'''ing best drummer ever dumbass go lern somthing noob"

I'm enough of a douche to point out the bad drummers to myself for the sake of not ever wanting to play like them, but I've said this before: You can't compare drummers. Even within genres, music calls for different things, and even then, a drummer's playing style changes everything. No two drummers will come up with the same drum part for a song, and that all by itself is the magic of drumming.

That said, Lars Ulrich and Travis Barker are my least favorite drummers out there. See? Not worst, just least favorite.

lol - it does conjure up images of bromance groupies.

As I said in another thread, it's just solipcism (definition: the idea that one's own mind is all that exists). So, if a drummer gives you more joy than any other, then s/he's the "best". Inevitably this comes down to the style of music we play.

The comparisons are annoying but that's what most young males do - compare and compete. Girls do it too, but about personal stuff and it's a bit less maniacal. It's a developmental stage that allows young lads to work out their place in the pecking order. People mature at different stages and some never mature at all.

I don't feel sorry for Travis and co either. I expect it's a PITA for them, but not a big deal. The only danger for these guys is if they start believing the hype. Often celebrities are surrounded by sychophants and that means they effectively are looking in a distorted mirror most of the time that can totally mess with their perspective. Being an excellent player of a musical instrument or exciting entertainer (or good at kicking footballs or playing movie characters) can assume importance of biblical proportions.

I totally agree, Larry!

And my previous post was just a sarcastic take on the whole "fanboy" word itself.

I never liked the word and would rather have the word "drumfan" replace it.

everyone is different i suppose.I just did'nt like the fact that he thought he was a good drummer because his sticks glowed, i don't mind tricks but atleast do something that requires skill like keeping a groove while spinning. Thats just me, i think it was the way he reacted that is what got me, he was like a boy at christman, you might think thats cute and nice, but when he saw that he imeadiatly disregarded all of the other soloists and said he was the best guy on stage.
)

Thats what catches peoples attention. As musicians we can seomtimes get caught up in technique & forget that regular people have no idea. One of of my friends (who doesn't play) is a huge Slipknot fan, & of course to him,Joey is the greatest. I showed him the Hate Eternal video where Derek Roddy plays a multi pedal poly-rythym. He did't get it, & didn't realize that might be a more difficlut drum part than fast double bass.

Masks, mohawks, stick twirling, etc...simple things such as quarter notes on a cowbell, catch the non-musicians ear.

I like Jeff's list..

Back on topic, most of the kids are just that.. kids.

I think its kind of nice that there's a drummer/musician who blows them off the feet. I'd wish that for every musician.

The fact that they take it to the extreme in a lot of immature trash talk on youtube and other forums, and getting into 'My drummer can beat up on your drummer' BS is something they'll grow out of.

Most of the people that claim that also claim that playing guitar hero is like playing a real guitar. They are the kind of people that have no theoretical knowledge and only listen to music (and not listen into music). It's hard to convince people that love pop music to listen past the lead, it's sad but most people are so oblivious when they listen to music they only hear the vocals and the beat, they cannot identify what sound is the bass and what sound is a the guitar. Of course they are going to love drummers like Barker who only ever record loud drum heavy rock music or hip hop (where it is basically just barker and the vocalist with a bass and some keys)

No such thing as bad publicity. Sorry for them? You've got to be kidding.

I dunno. If people are saying you're the best of all the time, wouldnt that lead to higher expectations? Someone might just stay with that drummer and not discover new and exciting drummers.

The main thing is though, that I think all this competition in music puts a lot of people off. Maybe they get even more scared of playing, because they dont think they're "good" enough.
"Why dont you twirl sticks, why dont you do this and that, because x-drummer does it" and so on.

I dunno. If people are saying you're the best of all the time, wouldnt that lead to higher expectations? Someone might just stay with that drummer and not discover new and exciting drummers.

The main thing is though, that I think all this competition in music puts a lot of people off. Maybe they get even more scared of playing, because they dont think they're "good" enough.
"Why dont you twirl sticks, why dont you do this and that, because x-drummer does it" and so on.
I agree it's not great for those starting to play drums, or those who give up because they think they can't cut it, but I don't feel remotely sorry for the over "worshipped" drummers.

I personally do not take Youtube comments seriously and I think using those comments as a citation to the "who's the best" argument is pretty weak.

Its pretty natural for people and teenagers especially to rank other people. Remember younger people try to identify with other people that are famous and that garner attention for a cool skill like drumming. I would just let it run its course and let those people discover other drummers and more advanced skills for themselves as their tastes and realizations evolve and refine. I once thought Joey Kramer was the best out there. I still love his playing but now I know Meg White is the best....(budump tshh)

Back