the Dualist debate...

hotsauce3n

I saw this pedal with three beaters, and i was wondering if anyone has it or if it does a good job of compensating for the real double bass, or actually makes the job of playing double bass rolls easier?

Re: Anyone have Dualist triplekick?

god! I hate that pedal... if you want to cheat... that's ok, but this one is not for me, i'd rather practice 5000 hours to get to those speeds, than buying this pedal....

well if you think, that's not cheating! I mean it's a tool and technology is designed to make life easier! thousand of years ago, the first men will spend hours putting a fire, now with just matches, it's easier! is that cheating? :-/

Rigel

but building a fire is hardly as creative and artistic as laying down solid drum parts. a lever glide high hat pedal, remote high hats, the vruk pedal... these are nor cheating. the dualist just grrr.... just grrrrrr... well i won't swear but you get the idea. does any pro endorse it? not that i know of.

j

NUTHA JASON said:
but building a fire is hardly as creative and artistic as laying down solid drum parts. a lever glide high hat pedal, remote high hats, the vruk pedal... these are nor cheating. the dualist just grrr.... just grrrrrr... well i won't swear but you get the idea. does any pro endorse it? not that i know of.

j

I disagree w/ that logic. I'm sure some people thought of those things as cheating back in the day. What I do agree with is that it looks like a pretty stupid product and I would never pay for one. I'd rather build up my chops the good ol' fashioned way.

chino_Ocio said:
god! I hate that pedal... if you want to cheat... that's ok, but this one is not for me, i'd rather practice 5000 hours to get to those speeds, than buying this pedal....

i would definately agree...

I woudn't even get near that pedal, it took me years to get to where I am with my basedrum speed and control, and if I had a chance to get to where I am now with a pedal like that, I wouldn't even think of it.

Besides, it's more rewarding this way :)

Tyrnox said:
it took me years to get to where I am with my basedrum speed and control, and if I had a chance to get to where I am now with a pedal like that, I wouldn't even think of it.

Besides, it's more rewarding this way :)

Cheers, man!!! I totally agree with that

Milo said:
I disagree w/ that logic. I'm sure some people thought of those things as cheating back in the day. What I do agree with is that it looks like a pretty stupid product and I would never pay for one. I'd rather build up my chops the good ol' fashioned way.

My thinking is.. if it makes it easier to make a sound that is musically appropriate, then cool, I'm all for it.

I mean, why do we use pedals at all? Why not just kick the drum with your shoe?

That said, I can't think of many musical uses for a double pedal so I've no idea why I'd want one of these things either :)

As for pros endorsing... I swear I've seen somebody on a DVD showing off their Duallist technique. Maybe it was Thomas Lang? Whoever it was, they were playing 16th notes on a woodblock and playing over the top of it. Didn't sound very good to me, to be honest.

So whats the general feeling on Sonor's Giant step pedal then?

I wouldn't use it at all but my drum teacher plays speed metal so with the right technique he can achieve phenominal speeds without putting out as much energy.

finnhiggins:

As for pros endorsing... I swear I've seen somebody on a DVD showing off their Duallist technique. Maybe it was Thomas Lang? Whoever it was, they were playing 16th notes on a woodblock and playing over the top of it. Didn't sound very good to me, to be honest.

actually thomas uses a sonor pedal and that takes skill because, like the vruk it means you have to play with your toes and your heel. the dualist is just a cheap three strokes for the price of one. my roland TD8k has a drum solo kit where if i hit a tom it fires 8 times in quick succession. it is fun and makes me look like eight times the drummer i am, but i will never use it on stage. it is a total gimmick.

and milo, i don't think people thought of a lever glide or a remote hat as cheating. they saw those developements as evolutions and refinements. the dualist is clearly a plastic gimmick get fast quick thing. when will it end?
here?

Breadmonkey said:
So whats the general feeling on Sonor's Giant step pedal then?

I have the giantstep foot pedal and i also have the double which attaches on, i hardly use the double cause it is so rarely used in music (mainly soloing and metal)... but it has served as a great pedal and it is easily removed with the side lever.

not only that they give you a whole bag to carry it in so i can acrry my double bass pedal with me in a carry pack if i needed to(i dont), but its still pretty cool... i would recommend this pedal to any drummer.

i personally dont think its cheating i think its just a way to be even lazier as drummers.

its not cheating at all, and I plan to get one when I have the cash. You guys are all mad because I will be able to play the same as you, yet twice as slow, and still have a free foot. I know it hurts, but get over it.

personally i hate the dualist, i dont care if you use one, but if your going to use one, dont expect to get as much credit as guys who use regular double pedals hence single pedals, and dont get cocky about how fast u can get with a dualist (lars ulrich), cuz its easy as hell to get speed with dualists. we dont care if u can play just as fast as we can with a dualist, because your not, ur feet arent moving as fast as are feet, ure just getting a faster sound and being lazy at the same time.isnt technology great?! haha jk, next thing you know, there gonna be making sticks that branch off into 2 ends so u can can play faster, lmao... if u wanna get fast, take the time and practice to get fast. dont get a dualist and cheat at it.

chino_Ocio said:

I agree with you partly that it's kinda the easy way out of learning to do bouble bass really fast. I think though that it might have some advantages of it, not sure what, but might have some cool things it can do.

But I think the original dualists was a much better idea. I think if the price wasn't so high more people would have bought it. I know two people who like it because you can do double bass, but still at some hi-hat foot while doing double bass stuff, to give it some more stucture, which makes perfect sense to me.

Back