Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic snare buzz

Dwight

Does anyone else get an excessive amount of snare buzz from the N&C Snares? Should I try Puresounds instead?

Last edited:
I do get quite a bit of snare buzz on two N&C snare drums, one 5x14 maple, and one 3.75x14 maple. I tried Puresound's sound control set, the ones with the middle section open and snares on both sides. This snare set cuts down on the snare buzz quite a bit, but dries the sound out a bit too much for my taste. I also tried an Evans Hazy 300, which is a bit thicker, but went back to the Hazy 200 because I like the sound with brushes better. But a lot of guys don't even put the snares on for brush work and there's nothing wrong with that either. At the end of my experimentation I am back to the N&C standard set up and just tolerate the snare buzz.

What are you using for heads?

Bill

Hi Bill, a hazy 200 (stock head) and coated ambassador. This snare seems to buzz a lot more than my others and I was thinking about changing the wires, but I don't want to lose too much of the drums character (which I like very much).

I don't own that particular snare, but I do own a few that are also very sensitive. Why not try a Hazy 300 snare head. It's only one mil thicker than your 200 and it may be the compromise that you're looking for. Another suggestion would be to let everything the way it is and just replace the straps or wires that are connecting the snares to the throw-off and butt plate. If you're using wires, try Mylar straps or something equivalent. Sometimes this can make for a marked improvement.

Dennis

I don't own that particular snare, but I do own a few that are also very sensitive. Why not try a Hazy 300 snare head. It's only one mil thicker than your 200 and it may be the compromise that you're looking for. Another suggestion would be to let everything the way it is and just replace the straps or wires that are connecting the snares to the throw-off and butt plate. If you're using wires, try Mylar straps or something equivalent. Sometimes this can make for a marked improvement.

Dennis
Agreed, but also try the classic fix of detuning the lugs either side of the wires, at both ends. Half a turn usually does the trick.

Does the NC have snare beds? If not, it's something to consider if the buzz continues to bug you. If this drum does have snare beds, remember never to fit wires of greater width than supplied as standard.

Agreed, but also try the classic fix of detuning the lugs either side of the wires, at both ends. Half a turn usually does the trick.

Does the NC have snare beds? If not, it's something to consider if the buzz continues to bug you. If this drum does have snare beds, remember never to fit wires of greater width than supplied as standard.

Detuning the lugs either side of the wires does help, great suggestion. Thanks. And yes N&C does have snare beds and you are correct about not exceeding the standard snare width.

N&C snare drums are fantastic by the way and dialing them in is not all that difficult.

Thanks, the drum is new and stock. I'm starting to like it a lot and I'm getting used to the small tom buzzing. I was wondering if it's part of the Noble Cooley heritage to get a real snarey sound since they have that 3 groups of wire thing.

I tried Puresound's sound control set, the ones with the middle section open and snares on both sides. This snare set cuts down on the snare buzz quite a bit, but dries the sound out a bit too much for my taste.

Back