I need all of your thoughts

drummingman

Gold Member
I have a mapex saturn pro kit. The bass drum size on my kit is 22x18. Because of the bass drum leg mounts and because of the tom holder mount the bass drum will not fit into a 22x18 case. It fits in a 24x18 case though. The thing is that this is a big case and very cumbersome to lug around. So i have been thinking about selling my mapex kit and getting a yamaha tour custom kit that has a bass drum that will fit into a 22x18 bass drum case.

But i am wondering if the 2 inch difference of a 24x18 case and a 22x18 case is really going to make that much of a difference when it comes to the weight and overall pain in transportation of my bass drum when I'm lugging it to a bunch of gigs? If the answer is yes then i want to sell the kit. If the answer is no then i dont want to sell the kit. The whole reason why im thinking about selling the kit in the first place is because of this issue of the 24x18 inch case being a pain to lug around. But im not sure if it will be that much of a difference between the 24 inch case and the 22 inch case.

I do like my mapex kit. But the 24 inch case is a pain in the butt to lug around.

What do you all think?

Not sure what cases you are talking about, soft case? hard case?

Yes, the hard cases are bulky but I don't gig every day so no big deal. I would rather have a bulky hard case protecting my investment than a soft case or no case at all. I played a show recently and another drummer from another band commented that my cases were bulky and too much trouble. His kit looked like trash, to eaches own. If I owned his once beautiful Ludwigs, they would still look like new.

If I were you, I would buy a larger case to fit my bass. Cheaper than getting a new kit just because it doesn't fit my current case. I would get help loading and unloading for shows, there are always people and bandmates around that like to help.

I have a 24x18 SKB hard case that my bass drum is in. I would not gig with soft cases as i also want to protect my bass drum.

I do like my mapex kit. But the 24 inch case is a pain in the butt to lug around.

What do you all think?

I think you just answered your own question. You asked if it would be a pain to transport the 24" case, then said yourself that it is.

And besides, i'm struggling to figure out how your bass doesn't fit in it's relative-sized case because of the spurs and tom holders, which should be able to be taken off.

I've personally never seen a kit where you can't remove the spurs and tom holders. Surely you must be able to fit it in the normal case and keep yourself from having to get rid of an entire kit or get a much bigger case for that one drum.

xoxo

Try a different case ?

I know when I bought my Premier Signia, because the spurs are off the shell, my 18x22 bass drum didn't fit into a normal Anvil case, but it does fit into a Humes and Burg Enduro case, as long as I line up a spur with the corner. If I don't like it up just right, it won't go in.

Getting a different case is much easier than getting another drum kit.

I think you just answered your own question. You asked if it would be a pain to transport the 24" case, then said yourself that it is.

And besides, i'm struggling to figure out how your bass doesn't fit in it's relative-sized case because of the spurs and tom holders, which should be able to be taken off.

I've personally never seen a kit where you can't remove the spurs and tom holders. Surely you must be able to fit it in the normal case and keep yourself from having to get rid of an entire kit or get a much bigger case for that one drum.

xoxo

I was not asking what you think about the 24 inch case being a pain to lug around. I was asking if there was that big of a difference between a 24 inch and 22 inch case as far as lugging it around goes.

The spurs are mounted to the bass but it is an off the shell system. Same goes for the mount where you insert the tom holder. To take these off everytime i want to put it into the case would be a huge pain.

Sorry bro, your post asks for ALL of our thoughts rt?

In all honesty, I don't think there is a huge difference. They BOTH are big cumbersome cases, no doubt. I don't think I would consider the 24 any more of a hastle than the 22. If you really have your heart set on a new kit, I would consider a 20" kick made of bubinga or other exotic wood that would give you a deep low tone. Some of those 20"s sound deeper than most 22s, imho.

Sorry bro, your post asks for ALL of our thoughts rt?

In all honesty, I don't think there is a huge difference. They BOTH are big cumbersome cases, no doubt. I don't think I would consider the 24 any more of a hastle than the 22. If you really have your heart set on a new kit, I would consider a 20" kick made of bubinga or other exotic wood that would give you a deep low tone. Some of those 20"s sound deeper than most 22s, imho.

I was not being a jerk i was just telling Peni that i was not saying what he thought i said.

If the trunk in your car is only 23 inches high then it would be a problem.

Personally speaking I can't see where there would be that big of a diff in just 2 inches. I think you will most likely learn to adjust to the bigger case. Don't over think it..!

Back