Pat Petrillo here!

Yo, "Trip"! ;)

Yes, the Ludwigs are in, and I will get the pics up soon..They are sounding really sweet, and focused..

L8R

Hey Pat! Just curious if you're still doing lessons in Jersey? I really feel it's time for lessons (after procrastinating for 4 years!) and I wasn't sure where to look until I saw that you do them. I'm going to get your DVD & practice pad in the mean time, but would really love to get a few lessons directly from the master! Talk to you soon!
Josh

X

Hey, man, thanks for asking, and I do teach in New Jersey, although the time slots are very limited due to my travels and commitment to Drummers Collective, but since you are a drummerworld poster, we can make it work ;)

PM me here, and I will hit you back with the information.

If anyone else who is around New Jersey and can't commute easily to New York City, PM me, and I will see what we can do to meet up.

All the Best, and talk to you soon

Pat,

H, G & F is awesome...I am starting to learn and grow as a noob drummer and love what I am getting from you DVD, thank you so much for being such an accessible PRO very unique in my opion to say the least!

Hey, my man!

Thanks so very much, and I am glad it is helping you...I think the play alongs will help with your timing, even if you can't play the EXACT groove I wrote..you can simply play your own groove, locking in with the band..and that's the goal!

The Rudiment TAB System will help you memorize the rudiments quickly ..SO, do the diddles first (P, DP, PDD), starting with the combos and the "Diddle Riddle" Solo.

Glad you dig it, and have fun

All the Best

Hey, Guys

Groovallegiance makes it's debut in NYC at The Collective, Thursday,October 16th. Come out if you can!

Attachments

• Groovallegiance Collective Gig Flier1Smaller.jpg
    Groovallegiance Collective Gig Flier1Smaller.jpg
    863 KB · Views: 1,326
Pat

I recently was working on the Swingalations section in the Book, and they are super hip. Your performance on the DVD is great, and I was wondering how is the best way to get the fill ins that you do in between grooves on the "Swingin Play Along" track, and there are also some you play on the DVD that are NOT in the Book! (darn it !) Can you some day show those on line or something??

Great work, really diggin it.

Jason

Thanks very much for the kind words, and glad you dig the "swingalations" grooves. The first 2 are ones I use quite a bit, and the other ones with sextuplet ghost notes are pretty difficult to keep low and soft inside the groove.

As for the fills, some of them are in the "Fills" section of the book, and you can take anyone of them to use before going into the bridge of the song, and on the way back to the A section..

There are some other "fill variation" things I do that are NOT in the book, this is true! I couldn't really right ALL of them out, I will be putting some of these in my ON LINE LESSONS which will be coming in 2009..I am setting up my studio as we speak, and I will be offering monthly lessons for a small fee..

Thanks for your input.

All the Best

Hey Pat!

How's the recent DVD shoot coming? Any juicy tidbits of info you can share with us on what the content will be about?

See ya soon,

Dominick

Trip

Well, I just shot some footage for the NEW Ludwig 100th Anniversary DVD which will be coming out in'09. I was honored to be asked to be a part of this great project, and I'm sure it will be a landmark production, with input from many Ludwig artists, including Ringo, Jason Bonham, and more. I did an interview segment, and a little solo thing with my new drums..! I did it in the same studio as I did the "Hands, Grooves, & Fills" DVD.

Also, the "Learn to Read Rhythms" DVD is still in edit mode, so, I am trying hard to get it out as soon as possible...

Groovallegiance Multi Media mp3 CD is in Mix mode, with a January release, and a new label has come into the picture...so I am looking forward to see where it lands! Along with the songs, there will be play alongs, pdf charts, and behind the scenes video clips/interviews.

Will keep everyone posted!

Hi Pat!
I just wanna say that I am a new fan of your mastery of the groove! I caught a couple of your drummerworld clips on YouTube and was knocked off my throne! I am an older guy (I guess) 46.. is it too late to teach this old dog any new tricks?? Are there any dvds or books you recommend that will help me develop my left (read: less dominant side) and single bass technique. I am 100% self taught and have been playing about 30 years. My meter is good, my groove is good as well. My goal is to be able to set my kit up left handed and play it like I would a right handed (normal for me) set up, as well as adding more fluidity and speed around the kit. I don't consider myself a bad drummer. I just think that I have placed limits on my playing through YEARS of incorrect technique.. any thoughts? Thanks, James Milwaukee WI.

Trip

Well, I just shot some footage for the NEW Ludwig 100th Anniversary DVD which will be coming out in'09. I was honored to be asked to be a part of this great project, and I'm sure it will be a landmark production, with input from many Ludwig artists, including Ringo, Jason Bonham, and more. I did an interview segment, and a little solo thing with my new drums..! I did it in the same studio as I did the "Hands, Grooves, & Fills" DVD.

Also, the "Learn to Read Rhythms" DVD is still in edit mode, so, I am trying hard to get it out as soon as possible...

Groovallegiance Multi Media mp3 CD is in Mix mode, with a January release, and a new label has come into the picture...so I am looking forward to see where it lands! Along with the songs, there will be play alongs, pdf charts, and behind the scenes video clips/interviews.

Will keep everyone posted!

WHEWWW!! Count me in for that multimedia mp3 CD as well as the Ludwig video.. That's great Pat.

Also, your P4 Practice Pad is gaining the advertising momentum!!! I just picked up DRUM! and Modern Drummer for this month, and your pad is highlighted in both magazines! Way to go!

Dominick

Hi Pat!
I just wanna say that I am a new fan of your mastery of the groove! I caught a couple of your drummerworld clips on YouTube and was knocked off my throne! I am an older guy (I guess) 46.. is it too late to teach this old dog any new tricks?? Are there any dvds or books you recommend that will help me develop my left (read: less dominant side) and single bass technique. I am 100% self taught and have been playing about 30 years. My meter is good, my groove is good as well. My goal is to be able to set my kit up left handed and play it like I would a right handed (normal for me) set up, as well as adding more fluidity and speed around the kit. I don't consider myself a bad drummer. I just think that I have placed limits on my playing through YEARS of incorrect technique.. any thoughts? Thanks, James Milwaukee WI.

Yamahammer

Cool handle!! Anyway, it's NEVER to late, and I think if you get my "Hands, Grooves, & Fills" DVD/Book, you will benefit from the groove ideas, play alongs. Developing the weak hand is about working both hands alternating different exercises, and that's what I cover in the Hands section. They are short and sweet and to the point, easy to learn. Here's a sample

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLjeECMlJQk

These will help speed and fluidity around the kit as well, plus there are alot of rhythmic fills ideas for you as well.

Thanks for the kind words, and let me know how you progress.

Hey man.

Someone brought this up in another thread, what do you think of using devices like the Beatnik Rhythm Analyzer to tighten up the hands?

Obviously you'd support your own practice pad, but have you got any experience with this sort of thing?

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Beatnik-Rhy...temQQimsxZ20081028?IMSfp=TL081028127001r24231

Oops!

I'm not really familiar with it, but, it looks complicated, and I don't really think it's necessary to have a computer "analyze" your time or "beats", as you have to develop the skill to be able to practice with a metronome and HEAR how you fit with the tempo...This is MUCH more valuable, and unfortunately, a forgotten skill these days.. To me, you have to hear yourself lock to a good metronome when practicing hands or grooves. HEAR IT, that's my advice.

Yes, my P4 Pad is very different, unique, and will give you a multi faceted hand workout..

Hope to see you at the AUDW Fest this year!

Hey Pat,

Enjoying HGF very much. The one warm up / exercise in the book that's killing me is the inverted diddles, the RllRLrrL and then going to the paradiddle etc. Wow. Must come to some easy but for me to do it right I really needed to take that one slow. Having a ball with it though.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.

Pete

2B

Thanks, and the diddle "inversiations" as I call them are really useful for connecting phrases together, so, take it slow, and once you get it under your hands, you'll use it everywhere!

Good Luck and have fun!

Hi, Everyone

I've moved into a new studio here in New Brunswick, New Jersey, and I am accepting a limited number of weekly students. It's set up with my Ludwig kits, P.A, etc.

If you are interested in studying, feel free to PM me anytime

OK...See you soon!

Back