Vernel Fournier Drum Techniques

johncrayforth

Has anyone here studied / read the book "Drum Techniques" by Vernel Fournier. He was the drummer with the Ahmad Jamal Trio. The book has been recommended to me but it seems quite rare so I only want to get it if it's worth the effort.

I have wanted this book as well for quite a while but the only copies I can find are $100 plus

Vernel is one of my favorite players

I have heard good things about it but I cannot imagine there is any information in it that is not similar to material that has been covered in many books since .... such as the Ramsay books the Riley books etc...

I remember reading there were some very nice etudes in the book and that is what has kept me tracking it for all these years

I would be interested to hear from someone who owns it

It's pretty skimpy. There are a couple of pages of sticking patterns a la Stone-- 8th notes and triplets in two measures of 4/4. Then ~20 pages of syncopation etudes ~16-32 bars long, most of which can't easily be used with the usual methods you use with Reed-- there's a wide mix of rhythms. Then there's a transcription of Poinciana, and that's it. The text is very brief, with just a few (kind of mundane) comments from Fournier, and some descriptive text by Rick Mattingly. I'd just spend the money on Ahmad records...

I'll second Todd.
Took me years to hunt it down.
Some of the sticking exercises are nice, especially when brought up to tempo, but, as Todd said, just go and get the Mosaic box "The Complete Ahamd Jamal Trio Argo Sessions".
If you feel more adventurous, get "Extensions" with Ahmad Jamal, Jamil Nasser and Vernell from 1965.
It is the "most out" Ahmad and Vernell recording I know.
Drum solos! With sticks!
And Ahmad even plays some inside piano!

Back