Vinnie Colaiuta

I got in a bit over my head when I purchased that Unreel book covering his playing.

oops...maybe in 10 years I'll be able to work out of that book.

stu

u know what..? I know he's one of the greatest drummers today , but i just can't like him. I guess he's not my style. weird.

NUTHA JASON said:
i don't like him as a person .

My drum teacher told me the exact same thing. He met him and said 'he wasnt a very fun person to be around'. But I guess his great drumming makes up for that.

In my humble opinion, he is the greatest drummer to have ever walked to planet. He can play any style or genre and play it well. Peace.

To be as good as Gadd, Weckl, or Vinnie, you gotta be just a bit different than most people. I've heard bad things about all three of these guys as people. I would bet its just their eccentricity, and not any real rudeness. Porcaro came across as rude too, but that was the New Yorker in him probably, heh.

Just think, to be as good as them, you can't quite possibly be a normal 8 to 5 schlubb working with other shlubbs all day (like most of us).

So Dr. Drum, you don't like Gadd or Coliauta? Do you not like drums ;-)

Stu_Strib said:
To be as good as Gadd, Weckl, or Vinnie, you gotta be just a bit different than most people. I've heard bad things about all three of these guys as people. I would bet its just their eccentricity, and not any real rudeness. Porcaro came across as rude too, but that was the New Yorker in him probably, heh.

Just think, to be as good as them, you can't quite possibly be a normal 8 to 5 schlubb working with other shlubbs all day (like most of us).

So Dr. Drum, you don't like Gadd or Coliauta? Do you not like drums ;-)

It was the same way with Buddy Rich, if a lot people told you you were the best drummer in the world it would do something to your ego. I think I would be a prick too if I had to live up to that much pressure.

I found somewhere an mp3 where Buddy Rich curses his big band for about 5 mins... I fealt really really sorry about them...
Yeah, he was an INSANE drummer, probably the best ever, but as a person...who knows...and actually it's not important, important is what he did as a drummer.

The same goes about Vinnie Colaiuta, let's just listen his drumming instead of arguing about whether he is a nice guy or not! :))

i'm sorry but he was no way the best in that battle. they were all great and different. to own a battle, as you put it, you have to be clearly above the other drummers league. besides gadd does less in that battle but he is solid ...SOLID. THAT BASS DRUMMING FIGURE HE DOES OVER THE CADET STUFF IS SOOOOOO COOL. and did you hear the audience when he goes onto his cowbell?

vinnie is a great drummer.... that is all.

j

Thank you, but I have my own opinion. I'm not even talking about who did the most of this or that, he just made me feel it the most. Well ok, to say he OWNED it was a bit much, but he shined the most to me. Although Gadd and Weckl were still incredible.

darkcherryfade said:
Thank you, but I have my own opinion. I'm not even talking about who did the most of this or that, he just made me feel it the most. Well ok, to say he OWNED it was a bit much, but he shined the most to me. Although Gadd and Weckl were still incredible.

Yeah Vinnie was strong. For that other post to say "he held his own" with Weckl and Gadd, as if they are legends, and he isn't yet was a bit odd.

I think Vinnie, because he's been drumming much longer, is probably one of Weckl's influences. I'd never be so egotistical to think I surpassed my heros, even if it were true. I bet Weckl feels this way.

Back