Triplet Blast Beats

C

Christ-Hammer

Alright I need to have a come to jesus here with blast beats. I am having the hardest time keeping triplet blast beats in sync or in time with the rest of the music my band is writing. I want to know how to practice this to obtain the speed I need for what I am trying to do. If knowing the tempo will help you guys see the speed I am trying to achieve I can figure it out for you just let me know, thanks everyone.

had problems with this before. I sorted it out by putting the first kick of each bar as an accent to help with counting and making it a lot easier to as all i had to do is make sure that accent falls at the start of each bar. Easier to recover if it goes slightly out as well.
I dunno if this would work cos if its an insanely high speed might be difficult to get a clear accent in. worth a shot though

Do you have an example of a triple blast beat? boom boom boom | boom boom boom | boom boom boom ?

Ya what you were saying basically, but I accent the first beat with a louder strike then the last two beats. So it looks like this
X-x-x-/X-x-x/X-x-x/X-x-x
and so on, but it gets difficult because I can't physically maintain the speed, it's not really an accuracy problem, well it is an accuracy problem but only because I cannot maintain the speed. The question is, how do you physically prepare your arms, hands, and fingers to endure this kind of speed?

had problems with this before. I sorted it out by putting the first kick of each bar as an accent to help with counting and making it a lot easier to as all i had to do is make sure that accent falls at the start of each bar. Easier to recover if it goes slightly out as well.
I dunno if this would work cos if its an insanely high speed might be difficult to get a clear accent in. worth a shot though

I'll give it a shot, thanks for the input.

Ya what you were saying basically, but I accent the first beat with a louder strike then the last two beats. So it looks like this
X-x-x-/X-x-x/X-x-x/X-x-x
and so on, but it gets difficult because I can't physically maintain the speed, it's not really an accuracy problem, well it is an accuracy problem but only because I cannot maintain the speed. The question is, how do you physically prepare your arms, hands, and fingers to endure this kind of speed?

BOOM boom boom | BOOM boom boom?

So it's like blasting regularly, just accenting the first stroke of every three?

X-x-x-/X-x-x/X-x-x/X-x-x

Well, if it's the endurance that's giving you problems then it's got nothing to do with triplets.

And there's only one way to work up your endurance: practice.

Practice the triplet blast beats that you're having trouble with at a lower tempo than what you're supposed to be playing them at. Remember, everything will come with enough practice.

Is it really one of those things that you just practice slow or is their some technique behind it? I think there is a technique because my arm gets majorly fatigued while I am trying to do it for long periods.

Well you know to use your fingers and not your wrists right? Or is it your legs/feet that get tired? If it's your hands, just practice 1 e + a (right hand) 2 e + a (left) 3 3 e e + + a a (alternate 32nds) 4 4 e e + + a a (alternate 32nds) using your fingers. Play with a metronome on a pillow or practice pad at the highest speed you are comfortable with until your speed improves and keep working it up. If it is your feet, I can't help you much except to tell you to just do the metronome thing with them.

Well you know to use your fingers and not your wrists right? Or is it your legs/feet that get tired? If it's your hands, just practice 1 e + a (right hand) 2 e + a (left) 3 3 e e + + a a (alternate 32nds) 4 4 e e + + a a (alternate 32nds) using your fingers. Play with a metronome on a pillow or practice pad at the highest speed you are comfortable with until your speed improves and keep working it up. If it is your feet, I can't help you much except to tell you to just do the metronome thing with them.

It is my hands, thanks I will try this exercise.

Is it really one of those things that you just practice slow or is their some technique behind it? I think there is a technique because my arm gets majorly fatigued while I am trying to do it for long periods.

Well, yes. Playing a 16th note blast beat should require the exact same technique as playing a triplet blast beat. The only thing that changes between the two is how many notes are played per bar.

What's the max tempo you can play 16th note blasts at? What tempos are you struggling to play triplet blasts at?

Practicing it slow will only help you so much because the motion completely changes as you increase the tempo. Eventually you get to a point where the middle note of the triplet is really more of a a rebound, as in a double stroke roll. The motion I use in triplet blasting is pretty much a combination of the single and double stroke roll....you start with a double stroke (more abbreviated than normal double strokes, with a little less rigid wrist motion), and then close your fingers to get the third note (the upstroke). This all happens in one condensed movement...Very oversimplified answer, but that somewhat explains the slight difference between 16th and triplet blasting technique.

Back