i just want one kit :/

So after deciding that the kit I was deciding was far to expensive... I am doing a custom kit for a third of the price...and came across a conflict..everyone buys kit after kit after kit. I wanna be content with one creation yet think it's odd people say wow one kit...for 10 years? I just don't get drummers like that I guess...I mean why can't they be content.

Collecting is one thing I Guess....am I feeling weird..wanting one kit?

No. I always had one kit for 30 years until 2013. I got in a second band. Now I play 3 sets, but only own two. Two complete sets with hardware and cymbals. I keep one set at one rehearsal warehouse, another I play in a garage band. It stays in the garage, then I keep a gig kit at home with me.

I have 4 of them. Less moving stuff around.
A rock kit
An all around kit
A portable kit
A "leave at rehearsal place" kit

I realy envy drummers with a dedicated band rehearsal space where they can leave stuff. We have to hire a space on an hourly basis, once a week. I would bet most on here are the same for a full band practice.

Just get what you want and don't worry about what other drummers think or do. Charlie Watts plays one kit, live and studio, for over 3 decades. There, now it's vindicated.

Just get what you want and don't worry about what other drummers think or do. Charlie Watts plays one kit, live and studio, for over 3 decades. There, now it's vindicated.

Are you sure? I saw some pictures of him playing a black kit too. So maybe he has two?

I also just want one kit. One kit for Monday, One kit for Tuesday........

The very best thing you can do is get one kit that will do everything you want/need a kit to do, and take care of it so that it can take care of you for years to come. This is likely to take some research and patience, but you'll be thanking yourself later.

In 1998, I decided to upgrade from my Taiwanese stencil kit to a decent lower-end kit. Modern Drummer had just done a shootout between several different drumsets in the price range and this influenced my decision greatly. In the end the Tama Rockstar and the Yamaha Stage Custom were the big winners. Fortunately, my local shop carried both those brands and I could side-by-side them. I walked out of there with a six-piece Stage Custom and later bought another floor tom for it. This meant I could indulge my inner prog cravings at home and take a four-piece to that straight-ahead blues gig too. The hardware was, and is, some of the best in the industry. The kit sounds great, too; I constantly get comments about its sound at gigs. I've played that kit for pay and for fun ever since. The only reason I have a second kit now is that someone gifted me a vintage Ludwig kit in poor shape and it was nearly as much fun restoring it as it is to play it.

It's obviously much easier to do this sort of comparison shopping for lower-end kits, which can be found anywhere, than it can be for high-end kits. You pretty much have to know somebody who owns one, or be conveniently close to a good drum shop, to test-drive a top-of-the-line kit. But if you want to make a good investment (and that's what it is, an investment), it should be worth your while.

I don't recommend that folks trying to figure out what they want in a kit buy a custom build or an exotic material kit like eucalptyus/bamboo or acrylic. You want the kit to be a jack-of-all-trades unless you already have a specialized need or know exactly what you will be using it for. If you play drums in a Zeppelin tribute band, you have a pretty specific shopping list. If you play drums in a blues band, a Dixieland jazz band, a top-40 covers band, and a theater pit band, you may want a more average-sized kit such as a 10/12/16/22. Maple and birch are safe go-to shell materials.

This will sound like heresy, but people spend all this time trying to buy great-sounding toms, tune them to sound awesome like on the records, but the kick drum which is played ten times as much is overlooked. Buy the best-sounding kick on the block, and the best-sounding snare, and some great cymbals. You play the toms maybe once every sixteen bars on average, and for that short amount of time you can easily get them to sound more than good enough. A weak, non-projecting kick can cripple a groove.

My main kit is a shell bank with every even size from 8" to 20" (except an 18"). this allows me to set up a huge kit for that crazy metal or progressive project, strip down small and lean for that short acoustic set, or even do something silly like use the 8", 10", and 12" as toms and the 16" as a kick on a lark.

It's not weird at all to have one kit for a long time, just so long as you buy a good kit that works for a wide range of situations that you can take care of.

Are you sure? I saw some pictures of him playing a black kit too. So maybe he has two?

With the Stones, only the late 50's Gretsch. He had a black Gretsch in 68-72 but moved to that beat up natural wood one after that (initially borrowed it for a recording session with Ron Wood solo album, then procured it). It starts appearing on the 1978 tour for Some Girls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcI_9WSihc

But yes you're right....with his jazz ensemble, has the black Gretsch with 18 BD.

Damn. I guess he has two!

So after deciding that the kit I was deciding was far to expensive... I am doing a custom kit for a third of the price...and came across a conflict..everyone buys kit after kit after kit. I wanna be content with one creation yet think it's odd people say wow one kit...for 10 years? I just don't get drummers like that I guess...I mean why can't they be content.

Collecting is one thing I Guess....am I feeling weird..wanting one kit?
So as I understand it, the "far too expensive" kit was this much vaulted Starwars / multiple threads kit? In your last thread, you said you already had a "nice Ludwig kit I use for recording", so what gives? Is this new "1/3rd of the price" kit to replace the Ludwig, or in addition to?

It seems that it's you who has difficulty with contentment.

I have two kits, one new in bop sizes (Yamaha Club Custom), and one vintage 20/16/12 ('67 Rogers Holiday). At a push could I have done without the Club Custom? Sure I could - the Rogers is versatile and sounds great whether I'm playing jazz, punk, indie/acoustic stuff - but I'm in two bands so it's nice to have one at home and one at the practice space. If one kit keeps you happy more power to you!

When getting something custom built just remember that "when you buy you sell" - we've all seen the kits on ebay that someone had custom made in specs or colors that they think rocked at the time, but now that they're trying to sell no one's biting. That's not me dissing custom made kits, far from it, just saying that when you have an instrument made to your tastes keep the mantra "when you buy you sell" ringing in your ears as you make your choices on wood, sizes, finish etc.

Right and after deciding not to do my super expensive one and...one a third of the cost I still go...where do they get the money??? I think I just need to nod be greedy and be content worth he opportunity with one kit that I can make semi custom
I have two kits, one new in bop sizes (Yamaha Club Custom), and one vintage 20/16/12 ('67 Rogers Holiday). At a push could I have done without the Club Custom? Sure I could - the Rogers is versatile and sounds great whether I'm playing jazz, punk, indie/acoustic stuff - but I'm in two bands so it's nice to have one at home and one at the practice space. If one kit keeps you happy more power to you!

When getting something custom built just remember that "when you buy you sell" - we've all seen the kits on ebay that someone had custom made in specs or colors that they think rocked at the time, but now that they're trying to sell no one's biting. That's not me dissing custom made kits, far from it, just saying that when you have an instrument made to your tastes keep the mantra "when you buy you sell" ringing in your ears as you make your choices on wood, sizes, finish etc.

Because I have 4 kits doesn't mean they are all expensive !!!
Rock kit= yamaha tour custom moto-x edition $400 a year ago
All around : yamaha beech custom 5piece was $1000 5 years ago
Portable= yamaha rick marotta hipgig $1300 4 years ago
Leave at place = 80's yamHa 5000 3 piece. Maybe worth $200?

Over the years , you end up keeping stuff

I have two kits. One I bought used, but never played, for half price. One I rebuilt form a bunch of orphaned drums and parts from 9 different sources. Its smaller and ready to travel if they day ever comes.

I sold the Ludwig to pay off a debt but I still use it at a friends every once in a while....but
So as I understand it, the "far too expensive" kit was this much vaulted Starwars / multiple threads kit? In your last thread, you said you already had a "nice Ludwig kit I use for recording", so what gives? Is this new "1/3rd of the price" kit to replace the Ludwig, or in addition to?

It seems that it's you who has difficulty with contentment.

The majority of drummers only own one kit. There are a number of reasons to own more than one kit. For example, having separate shared event (B grade) versus single band kits (A grade) not to mention transport issues when playing at a fixed venue night after night. Also some just have money and space to allow choice. If you only play one particular musical style then you can easily use one kit. It's very common for drummers to own one kit and then hire in specifc kits when recording if they want some specific sound.

Back