Weird reason for trying that...

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
Now and again, in an idle moment I think about how I could make the ultimate lightweight kit. Like "traveling to the gig on the underground train" light.
Up to now, part of this plan has involved lightweight hardware. A while back I got a lightweight hardware pack, and the cymbal stands are ideal. But the snare stand doesn't adjust to the angle I like. It has a splined adjuster and it goes dead flat, and the next setting is too tilted for me.

I have another snare stand and it's heavier, but it has infinite angle adjustment so I've been using that.

Anyway, yesterday I thought 'well, if I set the snare flat, I could use that lightweight snare stand after all'. So I set the snares flat on my two kits, just to see what it's like.

It felt strange at the start, but now I kind of like it. I may stick with it and save 3lbs in weight.

Anyone else had a weird reason for trying a setup, or a piece of gear?

I think any gear I've tried out has been due to 100% necessity. For example, I needed a stick that was smaller than a 7A but wasn't a sort of Hot Rod/multi-purpose rod. I was introduced to the Vic Firth AJ5. They are the perfect "in-between." I switched from a 22" kick to a 20" because it is a lot easier to haul around, but I don't consider it weird or unusual. Over time, I've also dropped my second crash cymbal.

Maybe the closest I've come to "something weird" is that I picked up a Zildjian crash/ride from the 1970s because whenever I play gigs with brushes, I didn't want to have to worry about two cymbals, so I just use this crash/ride. It works well, and it's less to set up.

It has a splined adjuster and it goes dead flat, and the next setting is too tilted for me.

A thought occurred to me....if you could get an appropriately sized fiber washer...lay it between the gears. It will bypass the gears and use friction to hold the tilt where you want it. The washer should have a little thickness to it to hold fast..

It could solve your problem for pennies.

I remember the one member than wanted to know where to find a circular level so that his snares were perfectly flat in all 360 degrees. Different strokes for different folks.

I remember the one member than wanted to know where to find a circular level so that his snares were perfectly flat in all 360 degrees. Different strokes for different folks.

You can get one free on your iPhone now.

screen696x696.jpeg

I started tilting my snare away from me because I saw Buddy Rich do it. I sure there may have been more to it but lets blame it on Buddy for fun.

I still tilt my snare away from me because I play trad grip and it makes it easier to hit rimshots but I think I started doing it just because it looked cool.

Just root around for a tall cardboard box and cut it to the exact size/angle you want. Then it will even fold flat and weigh nothing.

Now and again, in an idle moment I think about how I could make the ultimate lightweight kit. Like "traveling to the gig on the underground train" light.
Up to now, part of this plan has involved lightweight hardware. A while back I got a lightweight hardware pack, and the cymbal stands are ideal. But the snare stand doesn't adjust to the angle I like. It has a splined adjuster and it goes dead flat, and the next setting is too tilted for me.

You can cheat the angle 'a little' by placing the snare basket arm on different parts of the rim, the tip of the basket under the bottom flange et. Might work, I do this all the time with geared tilters that have relatively limited angle adjustability.

I started tilting my snare away from me because I saw Buddy Rich do it. I sure there may have been more to it but lets blame it on Buddy for fun.

I still tilt my snare away from me because I play trad grip and it makes it easier to hit rimshots but I think I started doing it just because it looked cool.

I get that. I set all my toms flat when I was younger because of Stewart Copeland. I couldn't keep it up though!

Back