Pete Thomas, Elvis Costello's drummer

Drumquest2

I've recently watched two Elvis Costello concerts and loved Pete Thomas' sound .
Does anyone know what cymbals and drums he uses, particularly the ride, hihats and left crash?
I've tried his name associated websites without success.
Drumquest2

I've only seen him using DW kit's these days... I think he may have been a Ludwig guy during the "Attractions" years... but I'm not certain. I have seen some footage of him playing what looks like a clear acrylic Pearl kit as well.

Zildjian for cymbals, here is his profile on the Zildjian site along with his setup: http://zildjian.com/EN-US/artists/artistDetail.ad2?artistID=1377

I agree BTW... He is one of my all time favorite drummers.

Last edited:
I love his playing on the Suzanne Vega album 'Nine Objects of Desire'. I know that doesn't help with your question, Drumquest, but if you like his playing, it's worth checking out to hear a mellower (but grooving) side to his style.

I've recently watched two Elvis Costello concerts and loved Pete Thomas' sound .
Does anyone know what cymbals and drums he uses, particularly the ride, hihats and left crash?
Drumquest2

Do you have a link or photo? Do you remember what color his snare was and roughly how deep it was?

Drumquest2

Are you talking about the concert where he had Emmylou Harris as a guest on a couple songs?
It sucks that I don't get that channel back home...it has tons of great concerts on it.

I just caught the end on that show in my hotel room. Yeah, that drummer had a great sound; solid stuff.

Pete's ride for a long time was a Zildjian 21" Impulse ride.

Back