practice away from drum set

psychosiz

I have a dilemma. I spend large amounts of time at work. I have a few times daily during breaks where I could be practicing drums. I am also a beginner drummer. I can't use an actual drum set at work for a variety of reasons. I know I can tap on objects and practice time and beat exercises, but I was looking at getting a practice pad, or maybe even a practice set if its truly worth it. Given my situation, what would you recommend?

Pad and stick control exercises. Make sure you warm up properly. As for the exercises... Those would include accents, single and double stroke rolls, the 5 families of rudiments.

Good stuff. Work on your feet as well.

Also mentioned on this thread are the hand and foot coord drills.

But stick control is very important.

Last edited:
Grab a Remo putty pad. Can be laid out anywhere, you can hang it in the case on your keychain or in your pocket. Or, find a rich old lady to support you, get her to buy you a kit and a house to practice in, and quit your day job.

Love the idea, but as I am now married, it seems I went the opposite of the rich lady.

Another important thing you can do is work on mental independence. You don't need any equipment, it's all about coordinating your limbs. Like tap 4 beats with your right hand and 3 beats with your left hand so they both fit into the same bar and repeat. That's a good starting point. Beyond that, you could incorporate your feet, and make it as complicated as you want, with the goal of 4 way independence, which all starts in your mind.

Back