Where can I get a snare weight?

Diegorod

I'm thinking of buying one of those new snare weights, the somewhat cube thing that connects to the snare, but I can't seem to find them anywhere, I found the official site but they don't give an exact price, so for any of you guys that has one, where did you get it? And how much was it?

Waste of money. Its an over-engineered snare dampener, so, so many other ways to do this.
Tape to the rim - a felt strip, pack of cigs, moon gel, business card......

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.snareweight.com/

If so like opentune said there are better and I can guarantee cheaper ways to muffle a head, starting off with buying the right head. I have snares that an ambassador sounds awesome on others a coated PS3 sounds great. Have to experiment and see which one works best for your sound. If not moongel is what $5. Go to the dollar store and buy one of those sticky slap hands kids play with for well a buck, same as moongel

Here you go Grunt

http://www.snareweight.com/

Looks like a very elaborate, and frankly expensive snare dampening mechanism. They sell them direct on the website for $44.99. This reminds me of that drumwallet they made. $25 for a wallet. I already have a wallet that I carry with me and it makes a fine drum muffler.

Anyone want to take bets on if OP replies to this thread? He seems to favor the "drop and go" method.

"Adding mask to your hoop w/o changing the rim" is all the rage here in the states in case you didn't know.

Hey, if the thing cost 5 bucks or less, I'd say "Why the heck not!"

But 45$? Uh... No. I'll stick with dead drum heads as my choice of dampener. Or tape. Or Moongel. Or anything other than that.

Hey, if the thing cost 5 bucks or less, I'd say "Why the heck not!"

Hell, I'd just use the fiver. Fold it up, tape it to the head and be done with it.

Actually anyone thinking of buying this thing should just do the same with their $45......it's truly wasted either way.

Waste of money.

And how.

I'd love to know how many of these things they've actually sold.

This reminds me of that drumwallet they made. $25 for a wallet. I already have a wallet that I carry with me and it makes a fine drum muffler.

That's hilarious.

Agreed. I'd rather use my wallet.......at least mine still has the 25 bucks in it!!

I do see some benefits to this product, but non that can't be achieved by other means. They seem to be struggling to accommodate different hoop types. The current incarnation has a groove that precludes fitting to S hoops, but there's some other clamp type deal going on that's pictured but not explained. In all cases, fitting to wood hoops doesn't seem to be in the mix.

The manufacturer seems to think adding mass to a hoop is always a good thing. It can be, but there's times you'll want to control errant overtones from the head without adding significant mass.

I think this could be great if it had a little more range on the dampening side. Right now its either dampened, extra dampened, Super Dampened or no snare weight on at all. If they made something that just cut out some slight overtones and still had all of the options I would get it. But that price just isn't right for me to even try out.

Seems like a good idea for those who just have to have a little more bling.

Get one to match the gold necklace - LOL.

BTW, I saw this at NAMM 2 years ago, and they're back again next week. I remember that they're solid brass, and heavy, which makes for a different damping result than just about anything else. I recall that they were expensive, and I certainly wouldn't want to carry several of them around with me.

So, I dunno, good luck to them.

I think this could be great if it had a little more range on the dampening side. Right now its either dampened, extra dampened, Super Dampened or no snare weight on at all.

Agreed, that's derfinitely a drawback.

This reminds me of that drumwallet they made. $25 for a wallet. I already have a wallet that I carry with me and it makes a fine drum muffler.

I have a Drumwallet, and it differs from a real wallet in that it can secure around a tension rod so it flips on or off the head with less coordination than having to deal with a wallet. It doesn't move around the batter with each hit, which is a nice feature. it's also nice not having to worry about whether I left my wallet on the snare on a break.

That's actually a cool product.

Bermuda

A few of the evans rings came with a couple snares I purchased; those are pretty heavy handed, I've had a roll or two of duct tape around the house forever...pull of a slice, roll it into a tube and apply. Job done. Lasts and lasts and stays put.

I Currently Own it with all the felts and stuff

Pros:
* Each Leather Felt muffles different , so you can get different sounds from the same snare ( great for live situations where u dont wanna change snares)
* It will not move or fall or get dirty ( Moongels in my case tend to bend , get dirty and even melt in my experience , and sometimes even fell on me )
* It doesn't choke the head like Duct Tape does sometimes
* It fits any size of drums
* You can leave it on the snare and it wont fall
* No Damage to the hoop or head , no residue
* And the looks , It looks super pretty and fancy , everywhere I go people always compliments on it ( I use it on a Brass snare , with brass lugs , Brass rims , with a brass dampener lol)
* Great Customer Service

Cons:
* Not too affordable for its purpose
* If you are a studio drummer , You can get the same sound with moongels , Tapes or rings. So you are not paying for sound
* The stock felt doesn't doesnt Muffles as desired if you are expecting a super muffled dry sound for the price.
* The Creator/Owner is a Guitarrist not a drummer , so he is pretty much based on researchs and other drummer's experiences no on his personal experiences.
* It only brass colored , so if you dont like brass colored sorry
* It will not fit wood hoops

My honest opinion , its a really good product. Pricey but good , specially for gigging . In my case i dont like tape or moongels , i think they dont look professional , but thats just me , I like my snare weight and I will continue using it

I Currently Own it with all the felts and stuff

Pros:
* Each Leather Felt muffles different , so you can get different sounds from the same snare ( great for live situations where u dont wanna change snares)
* It will not move or fall or get dirty ( Moongels in my case tend to bend , get dirty and even melt in my experience , and sometimes even fell on me )
* It doesn't choke the head like Duct Tape does sometimes
* It fits any size of drums
* You can leave it on the snare and it wont fall
* No Damage to the hoop or head , no residue
* And the looks , It looks super pretty and fancy , everywhere I go people always compliments on it ( I use it on a Brass snare , with brass lugs , Brass rims , with a brass dampener lol)
* Great Customer Service

Cons:
* Not too affordable for its purpose
* If you are a studio drummer , You can get the same sound with moongels , Tapes or rings. So you are not paying for sound
* The stock felt doesn't doesnt Muffles as desired if you are expecting a super muffled dry sound for the price.
* The Creator/Owner is a Guitarrist not a drummer , so he is pretty much based on researchs and other drummer's experiences no on his personal experiences.
* It only brass colored , so if you dont like brass colored sorry
* It will not fit wood hoops

My honest opinion , its a really good product. Pricey but good , specially for gigging . In my case i dont like tape or moongels , i think they dont look professional , but thats just me , I like my snare weight and I will continue using it

Excellent post and info!

I picked up a DrumWallet a few weeks back...very cool little device for 25 bux. Versatile that it can be taken on and off with your stick in hand. Not a heavy damper, but takes the overtones out.

F

I hire a bikini model to stand next to my snare during gigs and lightly touch my snare batter head with her index finger. A bit pricey but sounds great and looks even better.

Back