How Do You Get To This Level - Benny Greb

Benny Greb makes all the top drummers looks like pussies, to be honest. An example is the Jojo/Greb jam at Namm this year.

Hmmm.... yeah I don't know about all that lol. I also don't think Benny would appreciate that kind of remark about other drummers of any skill level tbh. Greb is phenomenal at being creative, along with his feel and technique but they all bring something to the PRO level of drumming. They all have their unique sound and style and are very proficient with their sound and style as well IMO.

In fact as much of a fan as I am of Greb, I actually admire JoJo a bit more for his style of beats that he comes up with. While Greb is a full rounded drummer in his creativity, JoJo is like a human drum machine with his techno and/or house music beats he does. Case in point this video here, which also has a part 2. JoJo's stick control, especially with his left hand is just beyond incredible. I don't think I've ever seen any other drummer with that kind of control while doing diddles.

I'm glad you've taken a liking to Benny but I ask that you try and see the good in all drummers, from those who are just starting and can barely hold a beat to the likes of Benny and JoJo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-NcVkJpsuE

Hmmm.... yeah I don't know about all that lol.

I'm a big Jojo fan mind you, but we're all drummers here, so dispensing with the bull, my statement stands.

I'll go on a limb and ask you to ask Jojo what he thinks of Greb. His jaw will drop.

And this isn't a style issue. Greb has technique that others only dream of.

I'm sorry for being so blunt lol

Steph

Ok, I suppose I'm being a bit of an a$$ here :) But give me a break, I just found this guy a few hours ago. Let me bask in my new found inspiration please :)

Peace

Study what he teaches in his language of drumming(DVD+PDF) is a great start! The PDF is the most useful part.

Ok, I suppose I'm being a bit of an a$$ here :) But give me a break, I just found this guy a few hours ago. Let me bask in my new found inspiration please :)

Peace

Hey bask it up, until you get a sunburn in fact lol! I truly don't want it to seem like I am trying to put out your fire on your newly found inspiration so boast away. :)

Hey bask it up, until you get a sunburn in fact lol! I truly don't want it to seem like I am trying to put out your fire on your newly found inspiration so boast away. :)

Thanks!!!! :ppppppppppppppp

I'm 47 and just now hearing about Greb. And for most drummers my age, yeah Greb - or at least his technique and power - will not be attainable for us.

Peace

Steph

Hey speak for yourself, sister. I'm 47 now and I continue to work on it. Whether or not I get it isn't the issue - I'm just not giving up ;)

I've followed this discussion from this date and you guys make good points. As to the original posting, in an industry that celebrates unique-ness (by way of creating an environment encouraging everybody being the same) it's odd that anyone would want to be Benny Greb when in fact, that spots already been taken. Benny would probably wonder about that too. I would think everyone would desire to be as good as they can be, and people will want them for being who they are. I had an off-handed conversation with uber-bassist Jimmy Haslip once and he said he likes being hired for him nowadays. I'm sure he's had his days when people wanted him to imitate Jamerson or Stanley Clarke.

Hey speak for yourself, sister. I'm 47 now and I continue to work on it. Whether or not I get it isn't the issue - I'm just not giving up ;)

Bo, you're the exception!!!

Peace

Bo Eder said:

I'm definitely not saying give up trying just because it isn't attainable. Just don't get bewildered if you don't reach Greb (or whatever lofty goal is beyond your reach).

Goals provide direction. Striving for exceptional technique can't be a bad thing.

Peaches

Back