DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-02-2017, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

Default Nigel Olsson

Slingerland baby!

Old 09-02-2017, 07:21 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Default Re: Nigel Olsson

What a forerunner of the power tom era!

I thought he played Slingerlands with wood hoops too? No pictures of those?
Old 09-02-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
What a forerunner of the power tom era!

I thought he played Slingerlands with wood hoops too? No pictures of those?
I dug that kit. Photo from the Elton John album HERE AND THERE.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:35 AM
Gold Member

I always wondered why this guy had/has such monsterkits, when the stuff he plays rather asks for a regular 4 or 5pc-kit... *scratch my head*
Old 09-02-2017, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

cool pics. is that a timbale on his left side in the first pic?
And that last pic, it appears a 20 BD in his monster kit with woods hoops. I can't think of anybody who had such deep toms in 1976.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post
I always wondered why this guy had/has such monsterkits, when the stuff he plays rather asks for a regular 4 or 5pc-kit... *scratch my head*
For the occasional big tom fill, of course! Elton wrote some of the original power ballads that influenced everybody after that, no?
Old 09-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
He regularly played fills that went down the toms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFsWJhWKKNo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8pR...utu.be&t=4m21s
Old 09-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
Excellent example.

Nigel is just solid all around the kit. I would say he's been the biggest influence on my style of drumming. Mainly he's a byproduct of my uber fandom for Elton John. I've listened to a lot of Nigel.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

Exercise patience...or fast forward to mid-song for some Nigel "perfection". exactly what the song needs, when it needs it....

"Curtains" off of Captain Fantastic 1976...

https://youtu.be/g_bJhnJlCDg

Personal opinion-Elton John, pre-"Blue Moves", is some of the best "rock" music ever written. Time for Elton fans to come out of the closet!
Old 09-03-2017, 04:10 AM
Platinum Member

Captain Fantastic is so amazing it's insane. An album without peer. I remember when it came out. So many hits. The album itself came with all sorts of stuff inside. Must have cost a pretty penny to manufacture. The recording's production is ridiculous too.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Captain Fantastic is so amazing it's insane. An album without peer. I remember when it came out. So many hits. The album itself came with all sorts of stuff inside. Must have cost a pretty penny to manufacture. The recording's production is ridiculous too.
Enthusiastically agree...

The production sets it apart from most of the albums put out that year. The guitars especially...tone like razor blades without losing definition or articulation.

Had the "dead" tom sound of the period, but somehow managed to keep the drums very alive and left them right up front in the mix.

A real headphone delight...
Old 09-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
First links doesn't work for me. (Blocked because of copyright).

Second link: Bff... that stuff can be played on two toms and nobody would notice.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Second link: Bff... that stuff can be played on two toms and nobody would notice.
Yep, just like about 90% of music produced after 1930.....

Lol....

Surely we're not going to single out Nigel?

;)
Old 09-03-2017, 05:49 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:

Yeah, but I'll bet it looked really cool ;)
Old 09-03-2017, 11:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Yep, just like about 90% of music produced after 1930.....

Lol....

Surely we're not going to single out Nigel?

;)
Nah.... there are others who also fall into that category. Nigel is just one prominent drummer in that regard that just got my attention when reading this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder
Yeah, but I'll bet it looked really cool ;)
Yes, I guess that is a valid point. In the 1970's, many guys apparently molded their setup after the "looks cool"-argument. Moonie, Palmer, Baker, Olsson, Mason, ... Simon Phillips once admitted that part of the reason he plays a huge drumset was and still is, that it looks cool on stage. :-)
Old 09-04-2017, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Nigel didn't use that many toms. Mostly four, maybe five or six at times. But the 70s was a time for experimentation and pioneering approaches. Many pop band's drummers used multi-tom setups at the time. Electric Light Orchestra, Genesis, The Babys, Kiss, Chilliwack, The Tubes and all the stadium rock bands of the day. Descending tom fills ruled the day, even if the interval between each tom was only a major 2nd.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Nah.... there are others who also fall into that category. Nigel is just one prominent drummer in that regard that just got my attention when reading this thread.
Yes, I guess that is a valid point. In the 1970's, many guys apparently molded their setup after the "looks cool"-argument. Moonie, Palmer, Baker, Olsson, Mason, ... Simon Phillips once admitted that part of the reason he plays a huge drumset was and still is, that it looks cool on stage. :-)
I suspect a lot of Olsson's on stage look, including the drumkits, was directed by Mr. Dwight. He's always been a very visual performer, and if you remember, Charlie Morgan, who succeeded Olsson used a black and white striped Premier Signia with all gold hardware designed by Versace, if I remember correctly, for a period.

Incidentally Morgan also wrote the original version of the 7/4 theme tune for the ITV programme The Bill (fully aware that I've now lost anyone who isn't British!).
Old 09-08-2017, 03:33 PM

My favorite Elton John album is 11-17-70. Just live piano, drums, bass, and singing.

This year, for Record Store Day, Elton released 11-17-70+, which has six previously unreleased tracks. I did not get a copy on that day, as it sold out, but keeping my eyes peeled.

On a Nigel-related note, I discovered only this year that he had released a cover of "Dancin' Shoes" in the late 70s. I never heard his version of this song, because I grew up in Indiana, where the original writer [Carl Storie] and band [The Faith Band] were a big deal, so their version got preferential treatment.

Dancin' Shoes:
Original Version, with back-story
Nigel Cover
Old 09-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthomson View Post
I suspect a lot of Olsson's on stage look, including the drumkits, was directed by Mr. Dwight. He's always been a very visual performer, and if you remember, Charlie Morgan, who succeeded Olsson used a black and white striped Premier Signia with all gold hardware designed by Versace, if I remember correctly, for a period.
I'm gonna counter that argument with that Nigel made most of the decisions himself, except maybe for the producer's input. Elton had very little, if any input to the look or sound of the other band members. The early years of Elton John and the band was music driven. The flamboyance, pomp and circumstance and stage presence developed over time.

Watching the recent documentary of Yellow Brick Road on AXSTV, which was really included the very beginnings of Elton's Career to much later than YBR, they talk about how they recorded. YBR in particular, Elton would get up in the morning at the chateu, and just write and record. Then the band would join in later in the morning to work on details. Then just hand it that off to the producer and the band members to tweak the vocals. Elton was just very confident and satisfied he had a crew of talent he could gel with and depend on.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:03 AM
Silver Member

Olsson had a unique tom sound on the album "Don't Shoot Me! I'm Only the Piano Player." This happens to be my personal favorite Elton John album. I have always wondered if it was a studio effect on the toms, or if it was the natural sound coming from the drums because of tuning and his technique. Here is a song that has that tom sound I'm referring to. Is it just toms tuned extremely low while hitting rimshots? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYDviA2TunA
Old 12-24-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruok View Post
Olsson had a unique tom sound on the album "Don't Shoot Me! I'm Only the Piano Player." This happens to be my personal favorite Elton John album. I have always wondered if it was a studio effect on the toms, or if it was the natural sound coming from the drums because of tuning and his technique. Here is a song that has that tom sound I'm referring to. Is it just toms tuned extremely low while hitting rimshots? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYDviA2TunA
I think it's mainly the "concert toms"...no resonant head, miced from beneath...a lot of it is engineer Ken Scott (who did a vsti of this basic sound and said in retrospect it left him cold!) I think, too, the reverb chamber, tape, and gates had something to do with it.

Here's from an article about Honky Cat from mix magazine...not the same album but I think the sound is very much the same...same studio, same engineer, same drums, same drummer!

At the mention of “Honky Cat,” and questions about the drums and period at the Château, you can feel the smile across the miles as drummer Nigel Olsson responds via e-mail while in Australia on tour with John.

“Every moment at the Château was a brilliant time in my life,” he wrote. “When I first heard ‘Honky Cat,’ it sounded like a British pub song, a sing-along kind of thing. I was using a mishmash of Premier drums, my sponsor at that time, which included a couple of concert tom-toms tuned way down low. As the recording room was kind of small and we were all playing at the same time (the way recording should be done), we built a box out of tall baffles around me and the drums for separation. I was totally closed in. I couldn’t see the rest of the lads at all. In fact, it took me five minutes to get in and out. Very low tech, but it worked great. I think we cut the track in two takes. To this day it’s a fun song to play live, and it gets a great reaction from the crowd. One more thing about that studio was they had a live echo chamber, which inspired my huge drum sound from then onward. I love echo and reverb in my headphones, and I always have it onstage in my mix. Life as it should be!”

Scott says the mic on the bass drum was probably an AKG D12. He says he probably used a Neumann KM 56 or KM 54 on the snare, and for overheads, probably ribbons.

“On the toms I have no idea,” Scott says. “Nigel was using concert toms at that time and the mics were placed up inside them, so I’m sure they weren’t my usual U 67s, which means I just don’t know,” he laughs.