Wanting to build a website for drummers - Any Ideas? Input?

DrumVeloper

Hey Guys,

I am a drummer and web developer and for years now I have been wanting to build a website just for drummers. And I already own a domain for this purpose that I think you all will like! I have a list of ideas I have mulled over but ultimately realized it would be best to reach out to the drum community to see what you all would actually want and use. Obviously not a forum because Drummerworld has already nailed that! Please share your own ideas and/or provide feedback on the few I have listed below.

1) A video on-demand teaching marketplace (like Udemy) where drum teachers from around the world can upload and sell their drum courses and end users can purchase and instantly stream them.

2) A video streaming site (like Twitch) but for streaming practice sessions whether solo or with your band. You can receive useful feedback from fellow drummers through a comment area.

3) A video sharing site (like Youtube) where you ask a question or demonstrate an issue you are having and other drummers answer through video or written response. The answer with the highest number of votes appears at the top as the best answer. (like Quora)

*I also have a Pinterest Clone Script lying around that could be used for pinning, organizing and discussing drum videos from all around the internet on one site. I don't know if that would interest anyone though.

I appreciate any input!
DrumVeloper

from what I can see, (2) and (3) are pretty much accomplished by this site, Drummerworld, which I would deem a 'website for drummers'.
You may want to have a look at the 'Drumeo' site for an example of (1).
Good luck.

Here are two ideas:
Provide
A list of links to drum set written reviews. Listed by manufacturer and model.
A list of links to drum set video reviews. Listed by manufacturer and model.

from what I can see, (2) and (3) are pretty much accomplished by this site, Drummerworld, which I would deem a 'website for drummers'.
You may want to have a look at the 'Drumeo' site for an example of (1).
Good luck.

I agree, between Drumeo, DrumChannel, MikesLessons, 180drums, and DrummerWorld combined with YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook Live you kind of have everything you listed already but from a lot larger more established sources.

Not to say it can't be done, but your biggest hurdle will be trying to drive people to your site for things that probably can be done and probably are done better elsewhere. I would say unless you can come up with some kind of idea that is completely different (e.g. not described basically saying like "_____" website but for drums) you might have a huge hill to climb.

I think Hollywood Jim might be on to something as well. I think your best bet to try to get in to an untapped market is probably in the gear review market type stuff. Though this would probably be better served by someone doing something like with what a lot of the Guitar guys do but with drums on YouTube and podcasts and stuff more so than a separate website.

..1) A video on-demand teaching Marketplace..

..2) A video streaming site..

..3) A video sharing site..

Thats all about recorded video and i agree with other people that this is allready existing a lot and, in my opinion, is many times just not that helpful..

What i personally would really be interested in, would be a place where people can immediately speak through video to eachother (like Skype)..Like, you login and you see who is online with camera and you just speak directly by camera to eachother while sitting behind a drum set..As if you would sit together in a room with 2 drum sets..I have no idea if such things are very difficult to realize, but i think also for this site this would be a very nice addition..

I think that would be a much more natural, clear and helpful way to speak as drummers to eachother, compared to only writing text messages and record a video every now and then..

Thats all about recorded video and i agree with other people that this is allready existing a lot and, in my opinion, is many times just not that helpful..

What i personally would really be interested in, would be a place where people can immediately speak through video to eachother (like Skype)..Like, you login and you see who is online with camera and you just speak directly by camera to eachother while sitting behind a drum set..As if you would sit together in a room with 2 drum sets..I have no idea if such things are very difficult to realize, but i think also for this site this would be a very nice addition..

I think that would be a much more natural, clear and helpful way to speak as drummers to eachother, compared to only writing text messages and record a video every now and then..

This, and it would be cool if it could support live 4K video, or at least 4K audio. I tried Skype drum lessons once and I used my whole mic setup but the audio still was not as good or clear as it could of been

This, and it would be cool if it could support live 4K video, or at least 4K audio. I tried Skype drum lessons once and I used my whole mic setup but the audio still was not as good or clear as it could of been

The problem is you'd either have to have everyone with super high internet connections or you'd have to compress the junk out of audio/video to make it work since it would have to be real time.

We don't need more websites, drummers need more mobile apps that are useful tools for their drum life.

Huh? Drummers don't need mobile apps or non-mobile apps. Drummers need GIGS!

One thing you hardly see is videos of drummers sitting down together and talking drums and drumming. Maybe have 4 or 5 people from different backgrounds exchanging their opinions on certain topics. Each 'edition' could focus on a particular topic (Learning, performing, gear etc). We all like exchanges on here, so I think a video version could work.

Honest gear reviews.

It's so hard to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to drum gear these days. All the local stores have gone, the big ones are full of sh*t when you ask for any advice and online videos are eq'd to hell on the whole and manufacturers are obviously paying people to give favourable reviews.

It's got to the point where nobody makes bad equipment anymore when that's obviously not true.

I agree.

I think if anything is lacking right now it would be gear reviews by seasoned drummers who have actually used the equipment.

I guess what we need is more drum rig rundown type stuff with people explaining why they use certain stuff. I always like hearing why people chose certain equipment over other stuff, there are so many options out there so it is always interesting to see the reasoning behind why.

I guess what we need is more drum rig rundown type stuff with people explaining why they use certain stuff. I always like hearing why people chose certain equipment over other stuff, there are so many options out there so it is always interesting to see the reasoning behind why.

This is excellent.

Yes! Honest gear reviews from Real Working Drummers, please. Not just how they sound all EQ'd up in a perfect studio, but real-life, and how the gear holds up to the abuse we put them through gig after gig. Maybe two part reviews, the first part is when they initially get the gear and why they specifically choose it, then a review 6 months later concerning how the gear help-up, what broke, what they like about it after really using it, what they don't like. Would they buy it again? Etc.

Yes! Honest gear reviews from Real Working Drummers, please. Not just how they sound all EQ'd up in a perfect studio, but real-life, and how the gear holds up to the abuse we put them through gig after gig. Maybe two part reviews, the first part is when they initially get the gear and why they specifically choose it, then a review 6 months later concerning how the gear help-up, what broke, what they like about it after really using it, what they don't like. Would they buy it again? Etc.

Here's a crazy idea, why don't we have something like that here!

Right on.

So many people tend to write glowing reviews of gear right when they get it. I'd rather know what the gear is actually like about a year or so after it's been gigged with a dozen times or so.

Yes, more gigs.

In lieu of that, more balanced step by step teaching that represents those same lessons is missing.

We are overloaded with useless fluff on most teaching platforms. Though that other stuff an be fun it should be te student's choice. There's often so little info, presented in such strange way, that I wonder if most of these teachers have any real experience teaching or know the subject matter at all.

When teaching a new style there's so much that should be uncluded. It should be step by step with relevant history and use.

All this can be done, but it's about 10 times more work than people seem to think or are willing to do.

It starts with understanding the general culture of those you are trying to teach.

Back