Breaking Sticks Too Fast

overdrive

I just broke a new stick after only around 8 good half-hour sessions of playing. I used to have a pair of drumsticks that lasted me months! 3 or 4! I have always been using Vic Firth sticks, the only difference is that instead of using 5A I'm using 5B. It's hard to believe that that is the reason they are breaking more.

Back when my sticks lasted forever I used "poor technique", as some people on a different drum forum told me, so I've been trying to use the correct one ever since, and it seems like my sticks are breaking faster.

Here's a video in which I was using my original technique and my seemingly invincible set of drumsticks

Watching that video again I see that I was pretty tame, I hit stuff harder now usually, does it make THAT much of a difference though? Why wouldn't you be able to hit drums hard?

So these are the factors I can think of that are causing this: Playing more aggressively, 5A to 5B sticks or using a technique unnatural to me. What do you guys think? It wasn't just a "faulty" stick I think because recently my sticks have been breaking and this one was just unacceptable. I can't pay $10 for a pair of sticks if they'll break in a week.

I just broke a new stick after only around 8 good half-hour sessions of playing. I used to have a pair of drumsticks that lasted me months! 3 or 4! I have always been using Vic Firth sticks, the only difference is that instead of using 5A I'm using 5B. It's hard to believe that that is the reason they are breaking more.

Back when my sticks lasted forever I used "poor technique", as some people on a different drum forum told me, so I've been trying to use the correct one ever since, and it seems like my sticks are breaking faster.

Here's a video in which I was using my original technique and my seemingly invincible set of drumsticks

Watching that video again I see that I was pretty tame, I hit stuff harder now usually, does it make THAT much of a difference though? Why wouldn't you be able to hit drums hard?

So these are the factors I can think of that are causing this: Playing more aggressively, 5A to 5B sticks or using a technique unnatural to me. What do you guys think? It wasn't just a "faulty" stick I think because recently my sticks have been breaking and this one was just unacceptable. I can't pay $10 for a pair of sticks if they'll break in a week.

If you are taking drum lesson from a qualified instructor, he or she should be able to give you better pointers about your technique than just someone on the Internet.

Dennis

Are you letting go of those sticks with your thumb and forefinger?Is that what i'm seeing here?I guess that now you are holding on for dear life?

Anyway..the more rimshots you make,coupled with how hard you hit,and where you hit,translates into stick breakage.Tuning also comes into play.Higher pitched drums,also become a harder surface to hit.

Heavier cymbals,as well as technique also mitigate breakage.

Your switching stick models,also factor in.Make a list of what if anything you're doing now,as oppose to a few monthe ago...and there's your answer.

Steve B

I just broke a new stick after only around 8 good half-hour ......, I hit stuff harder now usually, does it make THAT much of a difference though? Why wouldn't you be able to hit drums hard?

..... I can't pay $10 for a pair of sticks if they'll break in a week.

From your video - your cymbals are loose - so I doubt that is causing the stick breaking, you are not hitting that hard - until the rolls. Are your sticks full of dents? if so its most likely the rim hits are starting the damage.

Stay with oak sticks! Oak fibers are much stronger than other woods. I have not broken an oak stick in decades.

I used to break a ton of sticks, around a brick every 2-3 weeks, then I decded to try ahead. I not only love the sticks, but they don't break, forget about it. I've had my pair of 5bs since around october of last year and I haven't even needed to change the plastic sheath yet. Now, I still have wooden sticks too, so if you don't want to completely convert just buy a set for practice and perform with wooden sticks. Super highly recommend them.

i also started using Ahead sticks.... i was always breaking sticks on my ride bell and via rimshots. i typically hate plastic tips, but they sound really good. they haven't seemed to damage my cymbals either.

It doesn't add up...It seems like you are holding the sticks loosely enough, I can't say that you are restricting the sticks natural rebound. Maybe you got a bad pair? Even if you are hitting harder, as long as the stick can rebound freely, that's what you want. When you hit harder are you clamping down on the stick more? That's not good. You should post another vid where you hit harder to see if you are still keeping the grip loose. if so, then I'd say you got a bad stick.

..doesn't look like a technique thing...but maybe you payed more attention to it when the camera was on?

I would have someone you know (Drummer) with good technique, watch and critique.

like somebody else said if you dont want to break sticks as fast when you arent at a gig or recording dont do rim shots as hard or at all...that and bashing on the cymbals really beats on the sticks!

If your sticks are breaking halfway down the shaft (lol) from rimshots try wrapping some electrical tape around that spot keeps mine going till the tips break.

Well after less than 2 months my ahead stick broke. Was fairly impressed with them at the begining but it broke right in the middle of the shaft. I think they are still under warranty and I might be able to get them replaced, if so I will say awesome and use them again, if not I will be pissed given these things are $40 a pair. I will keep you posted...

Have you changed your snare drum recently? Some hoops are absolute stick killers, so if you're hitting a lot of rimshots that might be a big factor. My Ludwig snare kills sticks a LOT faster than my sonor snare (by an order of quite a lot), so I'm on the hunt for some new hoops for it.

Must be frustrating. Consider adjusting your set up since you may be hitting rims more than you think.

GJS

Ok so great advice lads! I just sent my ahead sticks away do we shall see what happens! They did break pe mature and cost me anther $10 to mail ontop of the $40 they costme so hopefully it all works out as I'm being honest and the time frame fits etc.....

I don't know what to tell you. . . All the time I played in marching bands, I never broke a stick, not one in years. In all honesty, most people who break a lot of sticks are playing to hard with the stick they are using. Drumming is like golf. You need the right weight of stick for what you need to play. If you insist on playing pretty loud, you need heavier sticks, and don't hit as hard. You let the stick do the work! . If you need to play really loud. . . that is what they make microphones for. . .

If you need to play really loud. . . that is what they make microphones for. . .

I never tried beating my drums with a microphone, but if it works, I can't argue with that, lol.

I know, bad humor.

Dennis

I never tried beating my drums with a microphone, but if it works, I can't argue with that, lol.

I know, bad humor.

Dennis

Laughed so hard I almost cried!
Anyways, I can just confirm everything everybody else have been saying; rimshots break the sticks, as well as crashing the ride. I always try to hit the ride on top, and never crash the edge of it. It saves both cymbals and sticks.

Also, I agree with the comments recommending oak sticks, and you should also try wrapping some duct tape around your sticks; the sound will hardly change at all, but you get much more durability with a cover of tape around your stick.

try wrapping some duct tape around your sticks; the sound will hardly change at all, but you get much more durability with a cover of tape around your stick.

I had a guy play my kit one night with this done to his sticks and it took me hours the next day to clean the tape glue residue off my cymbals and hats.

Back