Tony Williams

Re: TONY WILLIAMS (did everyone forget?!?!?!)

No, I agree with Finn, It's a given with Tony Williams talent. I think the body of his work tends to be remembered as being somewhat differnent and off kilter, which is not a bad thing. He was so ahead of his time at such a young age. I personally enjoy his work on Miles in the Sky, ESP, and In a silent way. He also has pretty great stuff with Herbie Hancock as well.

Superlow said:
No, I agree with Finn, It's a given with Tony Williams talent. I think the body of his work tends to be remembered as being somewhat differnent and off kilter, which is not a bad thing.

Definitely. There's not many drummers who've been on the forefront of new music in the way that Tony was with his first Lifetime record. We tend to follow rather than leading most of the time, which is one of the reasons Tony was such a great player - he was a leader even from his earliest recordings with Miles.

Good call on the recordings. I like Miles Smiles quite a lot as well. Never was a big fan of Four & More though for some reason, couldn't get into it. ESP and Miles Smiles really do it for me.

I really should listen to some of his more recent recordings though, I don't think I've listened to anything newer than 1980 or so in any depth.

Tony Williams is one of the greatest players in history, and is my personal favorite drummer. He had his playing and individual style completely together by age 16-17. Incredible.

Tony is such a influential cat. Man it seems like all the modern cats who have some really heavy s*** happening have all checked out like tony to the max. I look at Tony as someone like Miles u know, someone who was always changing and trying new things, he was seriously dangerous. Lets not forget about his compositions either I mean he was much more than just a drummer.

Last edited by a moderator:

to be honest, i think since tony elvin, and mayb dejohnette, there hasn't been any1 who has really changed the way people think bout playing the drums like they did. Mayb some of the free jazz guys too but thats a little different in my opinion.

After looking at the list of everyone's favorite drummers I thought it would be sacrilegious not to have the late great Tony Williams listed. Tony's sense of time and placement- I believe are unequaled-- not to mention the commitment in his playing--For those not familiar with his work I highly recommend his album "Believe It' -it kills

Keep the Faith

Tony Williams is one of my favorite drummers.
I like his work with Miles Davis.
I do not mean Tony Williams is better than Steve Gadd.
I like their playing both the same.
Well, he was very important for Jazz world.

His work with Miles perfectly reflected the revolutionary nature of the music. Tony was a searcher who used his instrument to seek a higher ground. His work in the Lifetime is outrageous and innovative and remarkable. Tony raised the bar that sets the standard for musicality for drummers and conviction for composers.

Gary said:
Oh yeah. So happy to read people writing of him in this way. To me one of the great greats of all time. A true artist, visionary and poet. One of them comes along like him (if we're lucky) once in a lifetime.

Gary Husband

Hihi...Gary...you can just write good of him. lol...He is just amazing and awesome and great!
I love his playing...his style...Yes, he is gone much too early...:-(

Arcana - "The Last Wave" and "Arc of the Testimony". Two of his last works and killer shred.

Tony Williams deserves all the credit he gets, I love Agitation by Miles Davis, great solo....

Back