Chad Smith Snare or Acrolite

nsfalgout

Hey guys. I'm looking to upgrade my stock PDP FS snare. No matter what I cant get a good sound of it, and I also prefer the sound of metal snares. In guitarcenter used I found a CS snare for $80, and it would come to about $100 with shipping. Also on guitarcenter used all of the Acrolite's are $120 and higher with shipping, and all of the Acro's on eBay are going for about $150 and above. From what I have read, both are very versatile snares, which is exactly what I am looking for. So, I need some advice for which one I would go for. I have heard both and both sound good to me, I just don't want to make a mistake withing buying the wrong one. Thanks.

Hey guys. I'm looking to upgrade my stock PDP FS snare. No matter what I cant get a good sound of it, and I also prefer the sound of metal snares. In guitarcenter used I found a CS snare for $80, and it would come to about $100 with shipping. Also on guitarcenter used all of the Acrolite's are $120 and higher with shipping, and all of the Acro's on eBay are going for about $150 and above. From what I have read, both are very versatile snares, which is exactly what I am looking for. So, I need some advice for which one I would go for. I have heard both and both sound good to me, I just don't want to make a mistake withing buying the wrong one. Thanks.

I don't think between the two you could make a mistake. I have heard great things about the CS snare, and the price is hard to beat. But I'm a big fan of Ludwig snares, and the Acro is one of those go-anywhere, do-anything snares as well. I would tend that way, preferring aluminium to steel. As long as both snares are in good shape, though, you'll make a good choice no matter which way you go.

I think having both is the right answer. :)

The Chad Smith is very sensitive and I love it.

The Accrolyte is a staple and a snare that always sounds good.

These are snares you keep for the rest of your life IMO.

You cannot go wrong with either. I have had the accrolyte for 20 years and have been using the Chad Smith more personally while I try to find my LM402.

Really, there is no wrong one here.

I have a chad smith snare, it's very sensitive and dark at low or medium tuning and you can get some great sounds if you experiment with heads, control rings and tuning. It's a bit trashy in a good way, and loud!

I haven't tried an acro but I have a starphonic aluminum (I'm told its similar) and it's a different sound altogether, a bit neater, so really it's a steel vs aluminum debate.

I think the pearl will be built better but I think I prefer aluminum.

I'd say Acro. Not a lot that snare won't do in any setting/genre.
The CS is great too,and clearly the better 'deal' you have, but its loud, and that sound doesn't work in all settings. If you play hard rock or metal I'd stick with the CS.
Both great choices either way.

Thanks guys for the responses. Heres an idea I just got of how I can have both: Buy the CS right away while its so cheap. Then, my school has a few beat up 70's Acro's that aren't being used. I can probably buy one of them for cheap and then fix it up! From what I have seen all of the Acro's have broken strainers and wires. If I can get the drum for pretty cheap, then this would be a petty good deal. Sounds like a plan?

If you're patient you can find better deals on Acros than the ones that you mention. I've picked up a couple for around $85. The Ludwig P-85 strainers are well known for being too fragiile for a drum of this quality. The P-85s are easy to find at around $20 and snare strands are reasonable as well. The Chad Smith s great as well. Having both wiilll be the way to go if you can. You can use the steel fro the aggressive gigs and the Acro everywhere else. You won't regret having both.

Actually, I just won an Acro for $106. Not a great deal, but I'm pretty happy. Im going to put a coated Ambassador on top and clear Ambassador on bottom. Maybe Ill throw some PureSound wires on. Heres a picture from the seller.

VZaogGV.jpg

Also, does anyone know if I can change the metal washer on the muffling knob for the plastic ones? Looks like the metal one might rattle.

I've never noticed a rattle, but you should remove the assembly completely if you are concerned. I've never used them.

Congrats in the Acro. It's a far superior drum, for sure.

I actually prefer 24 or 42 strand Gibraltar wires on my metal drums, not the spendy ones.

I've had great luck with the Gibralter strands as well as the ones being marketed as being "German". Puresounds are great snares but they're not the be all, end all. The Gibralter 42 strands sound great on Acros. The combination of Aquarian Hi-Energy/Classic Clear heads also work great. Acros are great drums. I actually like Acros better than Supras in most situations. I've had both and the Acros have that dry sound with just enough ring that goes easy on my ears. Acros are probably one of the best deals out there.

Alright, so Ill probably pick up the Gibraltar 42's once it gets here. And for heads, Id like to stick to Remo, because that is what all my drums have on them. But if Aquarian are superior then maybe I will make the switch.

My attitude is slowly changing on this because I'd always opt for the Ludwig snare, but in reality, the P-85 is sort of the weak link here. You could replace it with the newer P-86 which is a great replacement. But for all the Supra's, Black Beauties, and Acro's I've owned, I've never had a P-85 strainer that I didn't have to constantly adjust while playing. So off the bat if you asked me on this choice, I'd say the Chad Smith just because both drums are great, but that Pearl strainer is good at staying put. The current strainer that came with my new Studio Session Classic snare adjusts, and never loosens while I play. Consequently, when I put my 6.5x14 Ludwig Supra (made in 1978) up, I'm constantly adjusting the strainer knob as it loosens as I play. I have a P-86 waiting to be installed and I just haven't done it yet - part of me thinks I shouldn't have to upgrade the strainer - the strainer should just be good to begin with.

My attitude is slowly changing on this because I'd always opt for the Ludwig snare, but in reality, the P-85 is sort of the weak link here. You could replace it with the newer P-86 which is a great replacement. But for all the Supra's, Black Beauties, and Acro's I've owned, I've never had a P-85 strainer that I didn't have to constantly adjust while playing. So off the bat if you asked me on this choice, I'd say the Chad Smith just because both drums are great, but that Pearl strainer is good at staying put. The current strainer that came with my new Studio Session Classic snare adjusts, and never loosens while I play. Consequently, when I put my 6.5x14 Ludwig Supra (made in 1978) up, I'm constantly adjusting the strainer knob as it loosens as I play. I have a P-86 waiting to be installed and I just haven't done it yet - part of me thinks I shouldn't have to upgrade the strainer - the strainer should just be good to begin with.

Aww darn. If you look above I just bought an Acro. So I guess Im probably going to have to replace the P-85 right away?

Im probably going to have to replace the P-85 right away?

Depends, problems with them are certainly well documented here. However, I own 3 snares with a P-85 (and one with the older P-83)......all of 'em work perfectly, so it's not a given.

Keep the stock wires when you buy the 42 strand too. That's a lotta snare for a 5" deep drum. It'd be good to keep something to fall back on if it ends up being too much for your liking.

This thread reminded me to get the pearl snare out and play it tonight, just want to sing it some praise, it's a little champion of a snare, it's so crisp and sharp. Agree with Bo on the strainer, and also the hardware is top notch.

I'm not very fond of the P-85 myself. It's not smooth action on my drums. I have an Acro and an old 70's Gretsch aluminum snare drum an they both have a P-85 that works, but not smoothly. You can't just pull that lever in a split-second. It takes a little effort on the ones I have. They were like that before I got to them. It's very rare that I play my snare drum with the snares off anyway.

Well, to be honest, P-85's don't cost that much. Guitar Center sells them for $20 so you could always replace it with a new one. Mine, from the 70s, works flawlessly, and maybe the reason I have to adjust it so much is because the threading is too smooth, and vibrations alone make it turn loose. But, if you wanted to replace it, spend a bit more and get the P-86 - a much better design and it uses the same holes ;)

But yours mine work fine, so get it and test it first.

I have p-85 on my DW snare drums. Never once has given me problems even in the most intense playing situations.

I guess I got lucky (?)

If you can afford the P-86 that would be a great way to go. The Acrolite is a snare that you can use for a long time. I've used them as well as Supras for a long time but the weak points in both models has always been the strainers and the mufflers. I usually take the muffler off and change out the strainer. They're worth it though. The Acros can fit in just about any musical situation from Big Band to metal. I've got one that I've had since the 70s and it's still a favorite. If the Gibralter 42s are too much you can pick up some 16 strand ones. They let the shell shne through a little more. Good luck with it.

Back