Gretsch Drums.... Any Good?

Hi Steve. The retailers all have the same info like I posted, for the most part. " New Classic - Professional, retro-style drums set made of proportionate Maple/Gumwood shells with Silver Sealer interior..."

Artstar,

Where do any of them list specifically "maple/gumwood"? I'm just not seeing that on any of the listings I am looking at. Gretsch's web site doesn't even describe them that way.

That could be the "formula", but I haven't seen anything like that describing the New Classic shells. By the way...I would believe an account from someone like Mark Schulman as you posted over alot of the "stuff" I've read on the internet. LOL

Last edited:
Steve, it's not on the Gretsch website.

Look at the links I gave just as an example for retailers above. Just go to their sites, and you will see the info. Just click on the links above. Again these are just a few examples.

Rupps info is, "proporionate maple/gumwood shells...maple/gumwood w/silver sealer"

Guitars Amps and Drums info is, "New Classic - Professional, retro-style drums set made of proportionate Maple/Gumwood shells with Silver Sealer interior." "USA Custom - Gretsch's flagship model. Professional, handcrafted drum set made of 6-ply Maple/Gumwood shells, with Silver Sealer interior."

Mass Music info is, "The Gretsch New Classic series drums are designed with classic looks and new modern features, the New Classic series is the first completely new-design set from Gretsch in over 50 years. Accented with vintage-styled tube lugs, the ITS integrated tension lug suspension system, and proporionate maple/gumwood shells, this series truly is a new classic for today's drummer.."

Thanks Artstar,

I did check your links.....I didn't click them before my last post! It's pretty interesting that the sites you provided described the shells as maple/gumwood while many other sites did not. All I can say is the formula works...the New Classics are great sounding drums to my ears. Thanks again for the links!

This is the plant that Gretsch used for decades and maybe still uses in their ply shells. http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LIST2
I recently bought a 1958 3ply 4pc kit to restore. Man do these drums sound nice! I'm about to put calf hide heads on the toms batter & reso and snare batter.
One of the bd hoops was damaged beyond repair. I took it apart.....3plys - to see just what that famous sweetgum middle layer actually looked like.

I love my Renown Purewood African Mahogany 6pc and all that goes with it, but I have to say this little 4pc is hands down my favorite right now - they are just fun to play and have a very different sound/tone than the Purewoods of course. They are my dream drums I've been wanting for decades.

So - "Gretsch Drums....Any Good?" from my experience - you're darn right! And I say that from having bought my first Gretsch kit new in 1969 - was not disappointed then - and I'm not disappointed now. I like to play a large variety of music and these drums fit the bill - easliy.

I'm not saying they are the only "kit-on-the-block" but they do hold their own and have been around for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_2716 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2716 (Medium).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,672
  • DEC 5 BOTH KITS DRM RM (5) (Medium).JPG
    DEC 5 BOTH KITS DRM RM (5) (Medium).JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,650
Last edited:
Yes - Gretsch switched from 3ply to 6ply in 1958 and added the Silver Sealer at that time as well. The three ply are a little more fragile in most cases than the 6ply of course. But - the 3ply are more sought after for their sound - that great well aged Vintage wood sound.

I would say that Rock maple is of pretty good quality.

This for the USA Custom...

Custom drums feature the original Gretsch formula 6-ply maple shell that has been applied for over 50 years. Each drum includes 30-degree bearing edges,

Where do you get your info?

Last edited:
i have found this great site with round badge drums, and i am wondering if in the mid $3000's is a good price? Because they seem like brilliant prices for those drums! granted, one did go for $10,000, the rest are 60's vintage round badges....

http://www.repercussions.org/newgretschsetpage.html

and with the currency change to euro's these babies are a steal! I always thought that it was weird that there are 3 or 4 different shades of champagne sparkle? Anyway, good prices? the snares are about $500

This set looks good. I could make it sound wonderful..

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-04 at 6.23.59 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-04 at 6.23.59 PM.png
    263.9 KB · Views: 1,612
I don't want to hijack this thread and it won't make the snare sound any different but you would expect a brand-new-out-of-the-box, $600 14 x 6.5 Gretsch Cherry Stave snare to have the badge correctly horizontal instead of crooked. Even if they had it made in Taiwan, as the box says.

Attachments

• picture(1).jpg
    picture(1).jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 950
I don't want to hijack this thread and it won't make the snare sound any different but you would expect a brand-new-out-of-the-box, $600 14 x 6.5 Gretsch Cherry Stave snare to have the badge correctly horizontal instead of crooked. Even if they had it made in Taiwan, as the box says.
That's poor :(

Can it not be rotated a little?

That's poor :(

Can it not be rotated a little?

It's not my drum (yet?), so I won't try fidgeting with it.
It looks glued though, not just the air grommet keeping it in place.

Do you think Gretsch has got an old sound? I'm worried it's not relevant now? I know people say it's for an older generation.....

Yes, avoid Gretsch. They sound "stale" and "dated". You will be much better off with a Pearl Export kit. For even more "indie" sound, get some Zildjian ZBT cymbals, a knit cap, an old cardigan, and some pants that have the crotch hanging near your knees.

My only issue (if you can call it that) with Gretsch is that they have an almost bewildering product line. There are so many levels and permutations that its tough to figure out what to buy. I'm in the market for a new 3 pc shell pack with a budget of $2,000, and I don't know whether to get Brooklyn's, renowns, new classics, But they all seem like great drums.

Btw, (Can anybody comment on Brooklyn's versus renown maples? Seriously looking at both..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, avoid Gretsch. They sound "stale" and "dated". You will be much better off with a Pearl Export kit. For even more "indie" sound, get some Zildjian ZBT cymbals, a knit cap, an old cardigan, and some pants that have the crotch hanging near your knees.

Obviously somebody has tuning issues. My Renowns sound anything but Stale and dated, whatever that means. exports are certainly no match for Renowns or new Classics or Brooklyn. The previous poster has not spent much time with Gretsch or tuning.

My "mid-size" kit consists of Gretsch Catalina Club shells (22x14 kick and 16x16 floor) and I haven't a bad word to say about them! Warm and fat tone and wallet-friendly. The hardware on them is solid and trustworthy and I must say my bearing edges were pretty smooth (although I did give them a once over anyway)

Plus everything sounds better with well-tuned Aquarian heads on!

I have played the high end Gretschs and they were lovely - just wasted on me though. Go play a set and you'll love them.

Obviously somebody has tuning issues. My Renowns sound anything but Stale and dated, whatever that means. exports are certainly no match for Renowns or new Classics or Brooklyn. The previous poster has not spent much time with Gretsch or tuning.

Missed sarcasm alert!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anybody comment on Brooklyn's versus renown maples? Seriously looking at both.

Both fine drums, and both sound quite different from each other. Brooklyn will be a tad drier, and the Renown will be more "Tama-like". I like the die cast hoops on the Renown, but I'd probably go for the Brooklyn, which are made in South Carolina (vs Renown which are made in Asia).

If I were you, I would just save up and get some new USA Customs, or find some used ones online. Brooklyn, New Classic and Renown have very limited sizes. I personally will not play a bass drum deeper than 16".

Is it fair to say, then, that Brooklyn's are just a more affordable version of USA Customs, just without all the custom options?

Is it fair to say, then, that Brooklyn's are just a more affordable version of USA Customs, just without all the custom options?
No, it's not quite that simple. They have a different shell construction. I believe the USA Customs are all-maple while the Brooklyns use maple and poplar.

No, it's not quite that simple. They have a different shell construction. I believe the USA Customs are all-maple while the Brooklyns use maple and poplar.

pretty sure the USA is maple/gum/maple....and the Brooklyn is maple/poplar/maple

they sound hauntingly similar ...... especially if you put die cast hoops on a Brooklyn or 302 hoops on a USA .......I would challenge anyone to tell the difference in tone honestly

USA, Brooklyn , and New Classic is a can't lose situation in my opinion

Back