DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-26-2006, 05:20 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

Go with the sound you want.. I personnally like The pearl Joey Jordison Model, because i want an almost marching snare sound. Here are some of the drums i think you should look at for different music types;

Rock: Pearl Ian Paice, Pearl Chad Smith, Tama Lars Ulrich, Tama Mike Portnoy
Jazz: Yamaha Steve Gadd, Yamaha Akira Jimbo
Punk: Yamaha Musashyi, Pearl Joey Jordison, Tama David Silveria
Rap/Hip Hop/ R&B/ Pop: Pearl Piccolo (13/3.5), Joey Jordison (if tuned right)
Metal: Pearl Vinnie Paul, Tama John Tempesta, Pearl Joey Jordion (depends on tuning), Tama Lars Ulrich

These are the drums i like for these catagories. ALOT of people might not like my choices, but these are the ones i like...
Old 12-26-2006, 08:12 AM

did you ever hear the sound of the yamaha dave weckl signature snare=? yeah! you'll love it!! i like specially this sound of a snare.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Pioneer Member

After time testing my 'new' snare and playing it in different locations and musical situations i can honestly say it belongs in this thread :)
This drum is by all means a GOOD SNARE. responsive, sensitive, works at all dynamic levels, nice tuning range, awsome high end woody 'snap', amazing rimshots, and i can go on and on about it... it's just something you gotta hear to apreciate cuz even for me - reading about it just doesn't do the trick.. on top of that, there's the apearance. it looks fantastic and that is something i don't really have to point out. what you can't see in the pic is that the high gloss finish adds so much depth to the wood grain, it almost looks like a hologram (and i'm not kidding.. if you look at it in good light and turn spin it, the light reflects off of it in some way, it almost looks like it's chaning colors... the dark shades in the wood become lighter and the lighter shades become darker... it's by all meanst WIERD but awsome at the same time).
I think i'm in love :P

http://www.mydrumpix.com/showphoto.php?photo=6509
Old 12-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Pioneer Member

I was listening to some Smashing Pumpkins recently and the snare that jimmy uses, the signature one, is awesome! Great rock snare, but I don't know if it's versatile enough. I heard the supraphonic is very versatile, but some guy at my drum shop said they go for $1000 or more brand new.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:27 PM

You canīt go wrong with the Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14 but Iīd strongly recommend the Dunnett Titanium snares. I have one 6.5x13 and theyīre outstanding instruments. They do carry a big price tag though, around US$ 1000,- One other is the Beni Black Russian 6.5x14. One beauty of an instrument.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
I was listening to some Smashing Pumpkins recently and the snare that jimmy uses, the signature one, is awesome! Great rock snare, but I don't know if it's versatile enough. I heard the supraphonic is very versatile, but some guy at my drum shop said they go for $1000 or more brand new.

What did you listen too? His signature snare came out after the breakup (their reformed and in studio now, but thats another story)

He used a TON of different snares on their recordings 92-00 but he has somewhat 50 black beauties so i think heīs favour them.
If you want too here his signature, listen to his live performance with his own band
http://www.jimmychamberlincomplex.com/ .

Or listen to their debut "Life Begins Again", but i donīt know wich song contains the signature snare, he used the akiri jimbo sig. snare a lot too.

He is truly one of my favourite drummers/musicans ever.

Cheers!
Paiste GiantBeat/2oo2/602/signature
Old 01-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: SNARE HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinshells View Post
I just dug this interesting info up about ash:
White Ash is 105% as hard as red oak (AFAIK red oak is what Yamaha uses for the musashi oak) (1320 on the Janka scale vs.1260 for red oak)
Poplar is only 540.
Janka hardness estimates should not be applied to drum shells. The Janka scale rates solid wood, whereas practically all wooden drums today are made of a wood/glue composite (plywood, for lack of a nicer term).

There's a significant amount of glue in the plywood (how much, no one is sure as manufacturers don't like to talk about glue). Glue deadens sound and reduces the hardness and density of the wood.

Just me eyeballing it, I'd reduce the Janka hardness scale by 20 percent, more or less, for a plywood drum shell, owing to the presence of glue.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 01-26-2007, 04:24 AM
Rickk

After reading all these posts I had to get a new snare, Got it today, Black Beauty. WOW!!
Why didnt I get one sooner?

Thanks Guy's
Old 02-12-2007, 05:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiNg View Post
What did you listen too? His signature snare came out after the breakup (their reformed and in studio now, but thats another story)
Cheers!
I was listening to Cherub Rock...it came out after he breakup eh? Hmm, well, whatever snare it was...it's a great snare.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:00 AM

Anyone tried these? Good price and good features, but no review.

DDrum S4 Maple Snare Drum
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...um-?sku=443613
A slamming maple specialty snare.

7" x 13" snare drum with a Canadian maple shell and black chrome die-cast hoops and hardware.

ddrum S4 Maple Snare Drum Features:

* 7" x 13" snare drum
* Canadian maple
* Black chrome die-cast hoops

Pork Pie Big Black Brass Snare Drum with Tube Lugs
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ugs?sku=447810
Old 02-13-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
I was listening to Cherub Rock...it came out after he breakup eh? Hmm, well, whatever snare it was...it's a great snare.
ok, cherub rock was recorded in 92/93. He leaved Smashing Pumkins after a incident 96, then he rejoined in 1999. they split 2000. He used a ludwig black beautie on that record I believe. Great indeed!
Paiste GiantBeat/2oo2/602/signature
Old 02-18-2007, 04:44 AM

What recommendations for a batter/reso heads for a steal snare? What I have is an old steal snare, it came with a CB-700 kit back in the 70's. I was thinking about cleaning it up, (steel whool), and putting the right (?) heads on it. I have a Mapex M series snare now. I have the stock heads on it, they're coated. What can you all recommend?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:26 AM

Hey everyone, new to the forum!

Been using a Yamaha custom Anton Fig snare for a few years now, and i love it. Very versatile drum that can sing high but is FAT. Just put a new Evans HD dry batter head on, and it's a bit more crisp than b/4 with the evans genera powerstroke batter. i typically crank the batter up pretty high as well as the resonant side, i love a crisp crack with good snare response. my favorite snare sound is Carter Beauford's, but I don't have the 2 grand that it would take to get that drum. someday i want to get the yamaha recording custom, but the stage has worked well for me.

Any suggestions/comments from more experienced drummers would be appreciated; from people who are into that same type of sound for the snare. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:57 AM

I think the best all around snare is the Ludwig LM-400/402 series. If you can't afford those, an Acrolite will usually do.

Other great all-around snares: Yamaha's Maple Custom or DW's USA-made standard maple shell snare (not the Pacific series).

MC2B
Old 03-21-2007, 04:10 AM

The vinnie paul signature snare.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:13 AM

My 5x14 dw Craviotto solid shell maple
Old 03-30-2007, 04:03 PM

Love it
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2007, 01:53 PM

I love my 5x14 Tama Kenny Aronoff Signature Trackmaster. It has a 1.5mm engraved brass shell plated with black nickel. It is pleasing to both the ear and the eye.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

These are the snares I currently own:

Yamaha 6x14 Anton Fig signature series
Pearl 5x12 Firecracker (wood shell)
Ludwig 6x14 Classic Birch (on a Tama air ride system)
Pearl 6-1/2x14 Session series (I've had this one for over 12 years...it's my "old reliable")
Slingerland 5-1/2x14 Studio King
and of course:
Ludwig 70's 6-1/2x14 Supraphonic

birch

Last edited by cjl71178; 04-05-2007 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:51 AM

i only use 2 snares

TAMA rockstar custom 6.5/14
SONOR 2001 6.5/14 (this is the best out of the 2)
Old 04-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

drummerworld is having problems with pics getting loaded up onto the website, so hopefully i'll get to repost pics of my snares soon.

hey xanadu, i hope you got your member name from the Rush song...not the Olivia Newton John/ELO song! LOL. j/k with you, welcome to drummerworld!

birch
Old 04-04-2007, 07:23 PM

I own these snares:

1. DW Edge 14x7 in ebony finish .... by far the best snares i have ever played....it's got the crack and the body plus the projection...oh my god...superior.

2. Custom made snare 13x7 by Vaughncraft shell bubinga wood in black hardwares.....the dense thick and rich sound of Bubinga will split your ears into two...definetely one of the best 13' snare out there.

3. Premier 14x61/2 XPK snare....one of my workhorse snare for small and medium venues. It is warm and got a very nice tones to it.

4. Ddrum 14X5 snare .... also another one of my workhorse for a very small venue and jazz gigs....it is not my best snare but with careful tuning and head selection i got a decent sound out of it.

5. Custom snare 14x61/2 by Vaughncraft shell purple heart in gold hardwares...Purpleheart got a very unique sound to it....it is warm delivers alot of low end projection...best tuned low to medium.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

okay...here are pics of my snares...

this is my "old reliable" pearl session series 6-1/2x14. this was the first brand new snare drum i bought with my own money (from drums etc. in lancaster, pa). i've owned this drum for at least 13 years now. i have played many gigs with this, used it on a bunch of recordings and i've broken at least 5 lugs and one snare strainer. i'll keep replacing the parts until this drum literally falls apart!

my yamaha 6x14 Anton Fig signature series snare that i bought from the music store i used to work at. this is an unbelieveable all around snare. i get such a great response from it whether tuned high, medium or low. i cracked part of the top wood hoop (you can see it in the top left of pic), but i fixed it with wood glue and filler...i also have metal hoops for this snare.

i bought this pearl 5x12 firecracker snare to go with a cocktail set that i just sold recently, but i kept the snare. it's the wood shell one and it's a great side snare to have. believe it or not, i've had this one tuned really high, really low, and still get a good sound out of it.

this is my ludwig 6x14 classic birch i bought to go with my black sparkle birch kit. i'm using this one with the Tama air ride system which i really like. it's a very loud snare and i'm still trying to find the head i like best on it.

this is a newer slingerland 5-1/2x14 studio king snare that i acquired along with a 5 pc kit of the same color. the wrap is cracked/peeling on all the drums except this one, so i'm going to eventually re-wrap the entire kit. but i think i might keep this one the way it is and use it with my ludwig maple kit.

and last but not least....my ludwig 70's 6-1/2x14 supraphonic. i got this off ebay a couple years back for $125. i don't even need to say anything about this snare...this drum speaks for itself.

birch
Old 04-14-2007, 06:35 AM
Silver Member

5 1/2 x 14" Rogers Dyna-Sonic with regular 20-strand wires (instead of that cumbersome metal appliance that originally came with the drum) and a Remo coated bottom-dot batter.

With fresh heads on that snare has some BOOM to it!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejemimah View Post
Hey everyone, new to the forum!

Been using a Yamaha custom Anton Fig snare for a few years now, and i love it. Very versatile drum that can sing high but is FAT. Just put a new Evans HD dry batter head on, and it's a bit more crisp than b/4 with the evans genera powerstroke batter. i typically crank the batter up pretty high as well as the resonant side, i love a crisp crack with good snare response. my favorite snare sound is Carter Beauford's, but I don't have the 2 grand that it would take to get that drum. someday i want to get the yamaha recording custom, but the stage has worked well for me.

Any suggestions/comments from more experienced drummers would be appreciated; from people who are into that same type of sound for the snare. Thanks!
Carter mostly uses a Dunnett 6.5x13 Titanium snare. Also a Dunnett 5.5x14 Titanium. They are around $985,- so it wonīt set you back 2k. I have one 6.5x13" myself, amazing drum. Of my 15 snare drums itīs the one I use most often.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:38 PM

Default good snares

14"x8" sonor ferromangan signature (special edition d528)
14"x6,5" sonor designer maple light
12"x5" sonor designer maple light
14"x5" dw edge
14"x5" dw all maple
14"x5" dw copper
14"x5,5" dw craviotto (autographed)
13"x5,5" dw solid (stamped craviotto shell)

the last four are my favourites; the first four are sold.
if i had a opportunity to get another, it'll be a 13"x6" dw edge.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:42 PM

For my first post on this forum I wanted to show off a restored/saved single ply maple Slingerland snare I found in an abandon house on the Oregon coast many years ago. It had been painted with what looked like white house paint, the heads were both broken, no snare and one of the lugs was cracked. I've stripped the paint off and lightly sanded all the marks out of the wood. From ebay I located a lug like the others and new hoops. The finish is about 20 coats of Tung Oil. The drum sounds pretty nice. Someone at a drum shop familiar with old Slingerlands said it was probably from the early 1900's

Old 04-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Gold Member

Nice restoration!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26410 <-- i'll never buy another store bought snare after owning this one.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Pioneer Member

Does anyone know of a good Jazz Snare? I am going to be learning how to play Jazz and the Steel Snare I have is a bit too harsh.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:34 PM

I us the gud ol Dennis Chambers
Sounds wonderful for al genres of music that i play

Old 05-06-2007, 01:31 AM

I only have Tama Rockstars ("purple haze" fade) BUT have held onto my Premier 4" Royal Ace since the 60's. It sounds amazing even though I have only one 10 strand left (takes 2 ten strand). They don't make the wires it requires anymore. I've been offered lots of cash for this sucker but I'll take it to the grave with me. Just sweet, sweet sweeet !
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2007, 03:58 PM

My Odery, a 13x3.5. Just try it. It will remain mine.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Gold Member

Lucky fella... The Odery stuff is awesome.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:30 AM
Silver Member

It is a personnal taste but so far for me the best sound achivement I had was with this one ( and I do mean it's a personnal taste).

6 1/4" x 14" x 1/2" walnut stave. It has a very very warm sound, a lot of sensitivity and good volume. I guess I'm a Walnut guy. It maybe not the nicest look for a drum but damm that thing deleivered very nice tone. Next project I'm doing is one in Bubinga and one in Zebrawood, I can wait to hear those
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2007, 04:00 AM
Silver Member

And that is my temporary arsenal (cause they are all sold)
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2007, 06:30 PM

Just got her a few days ago. Itīs a beauty. A Bill Bruford sig snare 6x14 from maple/birch.

The drum came shipped in a box (duh!), wrapped in plastic and there was an additional bag containing what I thought was a T-shirt. It turned out to be a red velvet bag for the drum, with the sign. palette logo. Nice touch. There was another small red velvet bag containing a drum key, again; classy touch.

I started by playing the drum as it came out of the box. It was tuned high and accurately, i.e: like someone had really spent some time tuning it, same tension on every rod. What first struck me was the crack, this drum definately is able to cut through. I found the sound a bit on the hard side so I lowered the tuning a bit. I wasnīt all happy and found the sound a bit harsh and "plasticy". As I thought, it was the Evans G1 head. I changed to a Remo coated CS. It immediately warmed the sound and the CS gave it a bit more focus. Iīm all smiles. The drum is lively (triple flange hoops) and woody with lots of crack. I dialled the drum in at a medium high tuning with a very small piece of tape right by the edge. After playing around with it for an hour I found the drum favours medium to high tuning, thatīs where it really sings. Itīs sensitive (but not too sensitive), very articulate and ghostnotes are crystal clear. Struck dead center it has a strong powerfull voice, "snary" and fat, and speaks with attitude and authority. It reminded me a moment of a brass drum. I canīt wait to record with it.

The looks: for my taste this drum is very unique looking and beautifull. The workmanship is absolutely flawless and I must mention the strainer; itīs so smooth and trouble free, I absolutely love it. It didnīt back off at all, even under very heavy hitting over a period of time.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Rossy_j
This message has been deleted by Rossy_j. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unix View Post
And that is my temporary arsenal (cause they are all sold)
Is the shell on he bottom left (under the one with lugs) bubinga or something else?

They all look good.

BTW, Unix, do you turn your stuff or have someone else do it? How big is the swing arm on the lathe? Or how big (diameter) of a drum can you make?
Thanx.

Last edited by latzanimal; 05-24-2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added text
Old 05-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Gold Member

Latz: I'll answer for him.. it's bubinga and he has a 22" bass drum he's working on.. check for the stave set thread
Old 05-29-2007, 06:01 PM

Kenny Aronoff Signature Tama Trackmaster... Black nickel plated .3mm brass shell
Old 06-11-2007, 04:51 PM

A Pearl Chad Smith signature snare drum...a lovely snare drum indeed. And I'm not even that much of a fan of his drumming.
A really great, versatile snare drum.