DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-25-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: THE GOOD SNARE DRUM THREAD.

for about a year now i've been using a mapex black panther 14x6.5 steel snare. it only cost me 250 dollars and its the most satisfied i've ever been with a snare drum. i've played snares that cost more than a grand, including a dunnett titanium just this past weekend on a recording session and i would still fall back on my black panther. aside from sounding huge at a medium tuning, it sounds almost woody at higher tensions. and as a great bonus every bit of the drum is black chrome, even the snare wires.
awesome investment.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:36 AM

Ludwig Supra Phonice snare drum, in my eyes one of the best snares out there, a Ludwig Colloseum (sp?) is also VERY nice my drum teacher has one ide give my right eye for anyone *looks around to see if anyone will take me up on the offer*
Old 08-25-2005, 06:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Well ... I had just recently bought a snare. It's a Yamaha Oak Custom and definetely not the best but it's good cause Oak are loud and as it's mellow too I love this snare....vis a vis my steel snare. I have a Picolo too.

Reason why I make that decision - cause I'm having a Yamaha Stage Custom Kit and the Oak Custom Snare is within my budget and the color match my set and serve it's purpose well at least for now.

If only I have the $$$$$$ - I will consider "Noble and Cooley" ... maybe the one that they design it for Zildjian .. think it's something like 500pcs worldwide only ... a collection piece too...cheers !
Old 08-25-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Looking for both cheap/awesome snare drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohnamismygod
2. premier modern classic 14x7

IMHO, the Modern Classic line of snare drums is one of the most underrated lines out there. I used to own a 4x14 maple, and it was an outstanding drum - great sound, great tuning range, outstanding craftsmanship. I've also played several other maple Modern Classic snares, and one of the brass MCs, and they were all fantastic instruments. (The only reason why I sold my 4x14 was because I built a similar-sized stave shell snare that was even better.)
Old 08-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohnamismygod
hey all :)

which one of this snares is the best? maybe You'll try one of them, Anson?

1. tama artwood 14x8
2. premier modern classic 14x7
3. pacific sx 14x6

I'll be glad for advices :)
The Premier is about $400, but is far and away better than the other 2. I heard one after I bought my Ludwig, and sonically, I'd have been happy with it. It is top shelf.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:22 PM

Right now I have a Ludwig Supersensitive 5'5*14" snare from '72. I found it second hand for 200 Euros (a little less than 200$ I suppose). It sounds amazing. It has an Evans Power Center Reverse Dot on it right now. Sounds rather dry and short, but still bites easily through the guitars and blends in perfectly with the rest of my kit. all though it's only 5'5" deep, it sounds remarkably deep. I wanted a snare that could drive with some serious power, and that's exactly what I found.

Right now I'm on the lookout for a FAT wooden snare, and I've been taking some serious notes whilst reading this topic.

Big Evil,

I suggest you follow the advise that has been given here before. Choosing a snare is a matter too personal to be left to others. Find out what sound you're looking for and then go and find out what is available on the market (because it's a BIG market).
Old 09-09-2005, 02:15 AM

I'm just going to throw this out there. If you like it, great. If not, be sure to send it right back. For my money (exactly $211 @ Guitar Center) the Yamaha 6.5x13 Musashi Snare is it. It is the only snare I will ever play again. Seriously, the versatility of this thing is just ridiculous. Hip hop gig? Crank that bad boy up and it sounds like freakin' ?uestlove from The Roots. Need a fat rock thud? Oh baby, it's like butter. It's just so easy. Plus, it's absolutely gorgeous. I knock it around with my band and it's just...(sigh), I never cease to get compliments from sound guys. "Man, your kit is amazing and that snare is so, balanced...focused. It's probably among the best I've ever heard." I love hearing that.

It cuts, it thuds, it's gorgeous and most importantly you don't have to sell plasma for three years to afford it. Go and get it.

(oh and if any of you crazy punk or metal drummers want to buy a SWEET snare that I'm not man enough to handle, shoot me an email chase.band@hotmail.com it's custom, it's maple, it's amazing. put in the heading "about snare"...later days)
Old 09-09-2005, 02:38 AM
mlehnertz

IMO -

Dollar for dollar, the best snare drum is the 5 x 14 Ludwig Supraphonic. You do play almost any style with it. Try to scoop up a used one somewhere.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:15 AM
fourstringdrums

I'm trying to win this one on Ebay. Yamaha Oak Custom 5.5x14. I need one to compliment the rest of my oaks.

http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/e6/d4/cd_12_sb.JPG
Old 09-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Thinshells

Default Favorite snare in a collection?

I only have 3 snares with a 4th on the way. I know some of you have a bunch of snares. There must be one that you spend more time using than others.

I gravitate toward my Pearl ultracast over my ludwig maple or yamaha oak snares, I have seen Neil Peart keeps gravitating toward his Slingerland radio king out of his arsenal.

Any favorites among many?

This thread is for those of you who have 3 or more snares.

Last edited by Thinshells; 09-10-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Favorite snare in a collection?

I have found myself using my Tama Artwood more than my Pearl's or DW snare. The Artwood is not the top of the line but the maple shell with an Evans G1 just sings. Proof that money doesn't always buy good sound
Old 09-10-2005, 03:07 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinshells
I only have 3 snares with a 4th on the way. I know some of you have a bunch of snares. There must be one that you spend more time using than others.

I gravitate toward my Pearl ultracast over my ludwig maple or yamaha oak snares, I have seen Neil Peart keeps gravitating toward his Slingerland radio king out of his arsenal.

Any favorites among many?

This thread is for those of you who have 3 or more snares.
That's kind of hard. I have three snares which occupy a range of sizes, depths and materials. The one in the middle of the range gets used most...

1: Ayotte 14" Woodhoop keplinger
2: Yamaha 13" Maple Steve Gadd signature
3: Tama 13" Piccolo (would have to check the model)

The Ayotte is loud and better for low tunings than either of the other two. Sounds great for a big rock type sound. The Gadd drum is very versitile, I can use it for basically anything. The Piccolo is very limited, only really useful for hip-hop/funk/dnb stuff (or rock music heavily influenced by that type of material).

So yeah. Yamaha 13x5" Maple Steve Gadd sig for me, but only because really that's a pretty versitile combo in my book - I like quite tight snare sounds, but it has plenty of range inside that particular approach. Warm woody ghost strokes coupled with a killer rimshot and a nice sound when you bung your wallet on it for a retro 70s muted sound... I can get everything from Bill Bruford to Outkast out of it.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:45 PM
mlehnertz

I have 4 snares.

Ludwig 5 x 14 Supraphonic.
Yamaha 3.5 x 14 piccolo.
Yamaha 8 x 14 wood.
Slingerland 5 x 14 metal 8-lug.

I use the Supraphonic more than anything. It's the most versatile snare that I own. I typically take two snares with me on a gig and will switch if I feel the need.

As for No Feel Neil, I had read once that the only part of his set that isn't replaced when he switches vendors is the snare drum. He always keeps his Slingerland snare. Look at the pictures of him in concert (not endorsement photos) and you see it.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Pioneer Member

i just ordered Chad Smith pro snare for pearl.. i cant wait ! !
Old 09-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Masters
I have found myself using my Tama Artwood more than my Pearl's or DW snare. The Artwood is not the top of the line but the maple shell with an Evans G1 just sings. Proof that money doesn't always buy good sound
I think it may come down to the snare's balance. The balance between response and tuning. I've heard sensitive snares that sound blah, and I have heard nice ones that you have to hammer to get sound out of.

After I heard what the ultracast could do, I think it pretty much became the upper limit that I'd ever need to spend on a snare. I have heard some very expensive stuff that didn't exactly blow me away.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

I sure wish I had a Jimmy Chamberlin Signature snare...or an old Radio King of course..
Old 09-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer_Boy
I sure wish I had a Jimmy Chamberlin Signature snare...or an old Radio King of course..
The radio king, and an acrylic snare are the only two types of snares I have not played. I didn't get to try the Paiste 2002 snare, but I did try the Zildjian anniversary snare.

I will have to find a radio king this summer. A single piece of steambent maple is interesting. Vintage radio kings cost as much or more than a new radio king. $600+ usually.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:09 PM

Remo recently re-released the mondo snare. New and improved too. Basically a cross between a hand drum and a snare drum i guess. You play it with mallets, sticks and hands so you can use it in a drumset as well as a world percussion setup.

But yeah, i got that all from remo.com and just decided to post just in case anyone hasnt seen it. I'm definately thinking of getting one.

http://remo.com/photo/catalog/521/590/591/big.jpg
Old 09-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilis
Remo recently re-released the mondo snare. New and improved too. Basically a cross between a hand drum and a snare drum i guess. You play it with mallets, sticks and hands so you can use it in a drumset as well as a world percussion setup.

But yeah, i got that all from remo.com and just decided to post just in case anyone hasnt seen it. I'm definately thinking of getting one.

http://remo.com/photo/catalog/521/590/591/big.jpg
Speaking of remo: I have not played an acousticon or carbon fiber snare either.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:52 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASEdrummer.
I'm just going to throw this out there. If you like it, great. If not, be sure to send it right back. For my money (exactly $211 @ Guitar Center) the Yamaha 6.5x13 Musashi Snare is it. It is the only snare I will ever play again. Seriously, the versatility of this thing is just ridiculous. Hip hop gig? Crank that bad boy up and it sounds like freakin' ?uestlove from The Roots. Need a fat rock thud? Oh baby, it's like butter. It's just so easy. Plus, it's absolutely gorgeous. I knock it around with my band and it's just...(sigh), I never cease to get compliments from sound guys. "Man, your kit is amazing and that snare is so, balanced...focused. It's probably among the best I've ever heard." I love hearing that.

It cuts, it thuds, it's gorgeous and most importantly you don't have to sell plasma for three years to afford it. Go and get it.

(oh and if any of you crazy punk or metal drummers want to buy a SWEET snare that I'm not man enough to handle, shoot me an email chase.band@hotmail.com it's custom, it's maple, it's amazing. put in the heading "about snare"...later days)
What heads do you use on yours, and do you have to try different heads to get the different tones you describe? I just lost a bid on a 5.5x14 Oak Custom snare on the Bay, so I'm thinking of getting a 6.5x13 Musashi. MF has them for $199 :)
Old 09-11-2005, 02:15 AM
marco

mine is a black panther premium maple (14 x 6.5 with die cast hoop)...it sounds really great in ANY tuning range. It is one of the most versatile snare I've tried and the price is reasonable.It was under 450$ (canadian)
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2005, 08:14 AM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco
mine is a black panther premium maple (14 x 6.5 with die cast hoop)...it sounds really great in ANY tuning range. It is one of the most versatile snare I've tried and the price is reasonable.It was under 450$ (canadian)
The precious metal hammered series stuff is really great as well. The hammering takes away the standard resonances. You get that metal sound, but with a unique acoustic.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Thinshells

My three snares:

Ludwig exotic maple bubinga (14x6.50 Yamaha oak (13x6.5) Pearl UCA 14x6.5

Hands down, my favorite is my 14x6.5 ultracast with 24 strand puresound wires. This snare does it all. Highly recommended.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Don't bash Ringo ... here's my lovely Bruford signature snare... it soooo loud (nine ply!) and it sounds amazing!
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahznightsky
Don't bash Ringo ... here's my lovely Bruford signature snare... it soooo loud (nine ply!) and it sounds amazing!
It kind of looks like a finish that was damaged by throwing paint thinner on it. But I agree, it is a very nice sounding snare.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums
What heads do you use on yours, and do you have to try different heads to get the different tones you describe? I just lost a bid on a 5.5x14 Oak Custom snare on the Bay, so I'm thinking of getting a 6.5x13 Musashi. MF has them for $199 :)
Currently I use an Aquarian Studio-X because I wanted to try something a little different. Usually I use a Remo Coated Pinstripe. That gets the maximum versatility out of it. Good luck! (My band mates LOVE that drum...almost as much as I do!)...

cheers.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:55 AM

I don't own...but there's no snare I want more than an original Gladstone snare. They were absolutely beautiful, innovative, and sounded AMAZING.

The Standout parts of a Gladstone:

-Billy only made 50 of them

-3 Way Tuning System: Billy invented the 3 way tuning system by which tuning of either the top head, bottom head, or both heads together is accomplished by using a 3-way tuning key that allows all tensioning to occur from the tension rods on the top head.

-Simple Snare Strainer: Billy designed a beautifully simple snare strainer that allowed for quick and easy throw off and engagement of the snares. The snare strainer arm moves away from the drum and is simple and extremely efficient.

-Adjustable Internal Muffler: Billy designed an internal muffler that was unique. The muffler utilizes a small lever on the outside, which points to a series of numbers. The numbers allow for the player to remember a particular muffling setting rather than having to guess. For orchestral work this feature is excellent.

In short...a killer snare.

Thanks to:
http://www.maxwelldrums.com/museum_gladstone.html

Where I got my info! Check out the site for more pics!
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2005, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaxe
the only thing imprinted on the snare is the slipknot S logo. look up pictures of it on the pearl website. i doubt that would be considered satanic, but some people in church could find it offending.
I don't wana offend anyone BUT...
1. Satan is an invention. He really don't exist. Satan is just a reflection of man's bad side.
2. If anyone at your church doesn't like what's on your snare, it's time to switch churches.
3. GO play and listen to a lot of drums. There's a ton of snares out there in the $200. range.
Matt

Last edited by onemat; 09-30-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:50 AM

I went to my local music store the other day and tried out nine different snares, every one had a fat crack and sounded amazing tuned up high; all were quite loud too. My ranking for the ones I tried: (PURELY personal opinion)

1. 6x14 DW Edge/////6.5x14 Pearl Reference (such a hard desicion, im gonna buy of these for sure)

2. 5x14 DW Collectors All-Maple

3. 5x14 Mapex Black Panther Exotic Walnut

4. 5.5x14 Ludwig Black Beauty

5. 5x14 Peal Chad Smith Signature

6. 6x14 Ludwig Maple (i forget exact model)

7. 5x14 Tama Kenny Aronoff Signature

8. 6x14 Ayotte Wood (I really expected to like it more...)
Old 10-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahznightsky
A friend of mine has the the 14" Bruford model and it sounds amazing. I like the finish
on his models.

birch
Old 10-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Here's the snares that I currently own:

6x14" Yamaha Anton Fig model (with wood hoops)
6x14" Ludwig Classic Birch snare (silver sparkle)
6-1/2x14" Pearl Session Series (early 90's in transparent green finish)
5x12" Pearl Firecracker (wood shell)
and the old reliable....
6-1/2x14" Ludwig 1970's Supraphonic

I just recently sold my 5x13" Yamaha Dave Weckl snare *sniffles* and a 5-1/2x14" Grover percussion snare. But I still held on to my favorites. My Pearl Firecracker sounds unbelievable for a 12" drum, and the price was cheap.

I also use Puresound snares.

I'm going to be looking in the future of either a 7x14 or 8x14...any suggestions??? I did have a Remo years ago and it wasn't that bad.

birch
Old 10-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Pioneer Member

I just bought a Pearl Cs1450 (Chad Smith signature) .. It was a little hard to tune, but when i found the perfect tone i loved it! and i still do..

http://www.drumcentral.co.uk/pics/sn...ith_snare1.jpg
Old 10-04-2005, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjl71178
Here's the snares that I currently own:

6x14" Yamaha Anton Fig model (with wood hoops)
6x14" Ludwig Classic Birch snare (silver sparkle)
6-1/2x14" Pearl Session Series (early 90's in transparent green finish)
5x12" Pearl Firecracker (wood shell)
and the old reliable....
6-1/2x14" Ludwig 1970's Supraphonic

I just recently sold my 5x13" Yamaha Dave Weckl snare *sniffles* and a 5-1/2x14" Grover percussion snare. But I still held on to my favorites. My Pearl Firecracker sounds unbelievable for a 12" drum, and the price was cheap.

I also use Puresound snares.

I'm going to be looking in the future of either a 7x14 or 8x14...any suggestions??? I did have a Remo years ago and it wasn't that bad.

ack! That Weckl snare is one of my dream snares!

How does that Anton Fig sound? Looks absolutely killer...I can't imagine it doesn't sound it too.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjl71178
I'm going to be looking in the future of either a 7x14 or 8x14...any suggestions???
They can be tough to track down (in terms of trying one out), but I've got two 8x14 Tempus snares (one carbon fibre, one fibreglass), and both drums simply kill.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Pioneer Member

I play mostly jazz and some rock. I don't want a lot of high end crack but a mellow, warm sounding snare. Thinking about getting a 5.5 X 14 Starcalssic Performer by Tama. It has a 8ply 8mm birch shell. Good choice, bad choice, what do you guys think?
Old 10-06-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Re: What is your favorite type of snare drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartersChops

carter used it with dave matthews band on the central park album, i think he uses ocheltree snare drums otherwise. but anyway, this snare has the best ive ever heard. it exploads, and then you dont expect it to have such incredible sensativity at low volumes. no ring, overtones get a listen for yourself
Dude, that is the sickest looking snare i've ever seen...but im willing to bet its a huge piece of crap, and carter just plays it to prove that he can make amazing music in any drumset in the world...he's just amazing...
Old 10-11-2005, 10:28 PM

Has anyone mentioned the Yamaha bamboo snare? Tremendous...
Old 10-11-2005, 10:33 PM

oooo, i love carter's snare, real nice sound..i also love the DW edge snare..that has a perfect pop to it..similar to carter's actually. of course, with the emperors on it as well.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Pioneer Member

I play a Gretsch free-floating maple 14X5.5 and and Omar Hakim Signiture 13X5, but I've been reading a whole lot about the Worldmax Black Dawg, and it sounds like a killer snare for the price. There are some great reviews out there. It look great and sounds like it gives the Black Beauty something to worry about. Although I admittedly haven't played either of the two, I would love to order one of the Black Dawg's from Georges Drum Shop.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:24 PM

Im pretty happy with the snare I use. Its a 14x8 Tama Artstar from last year. I put some die-casts on it and use a clear remo CS on the top and the thin remo snare side. I forget what the head is called.