DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 07-15-2014, 04:24 AM
Silver Member

Default My new (used) Supraphonic

Some were asking to see photos of my new Supra here on this thread http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=118089. As promised here they are.

The craigslist gods were smiling upon me because I scored this off of Craigslist for $60!!! I don't think the owner was really a Ludwig guy because he didn't know what he had. I wasn't 100% sure it was a Supra until posting on the forum. I stripped it down to bare parts, gave the old coke and foil treatment to get ride of rust and grime, polished the shell, and put it back together. Looks pretty good and sounds awesome. Some pitting but nothing I can't live with. It's so shiny I find myself incessantly wiping prints off of it.

BEFORE Pics:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

AFTER cleaning Pics:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-15-2014, 05:03 AM

Default Re: THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

Congrats on the Supra find! Big win!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:28 AM
Silver Member

A mess of people here love the Ludwig Acrolite (mostly 'cuz of its cost), but being a Tama fanboy I opted for the Starphonic Aluminum. This thing has blown my mind with its punch and crispiness. Even the guitarist I play with (a Berklee grad) noticed its fat punch and clarity when he heard it for the fist time. Mostly, I appreciate the hardware for faster snare head tuning, head changes, and the ratchet style tension strainer.

My go-to snare for the last ten years has been the Tama Starclassic Brass, which is sharp and bright compared to the PAL146. My only issue is that the non-lever snare tension strainer is not notched and slowly slips loose during performances.

Most fellow drummers opt for the Acrolite because it's been with us for decades—it's a proven winner—but nowadays it is absolutely worth your time & money to consider a drum with modern manufacturing design & tech.

(No, I do not work for Tama, but I wish I photographed products for their catalogs & advertisements)
Attached Images

Last edited by cbphoto; 07-15-2014 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 07-30-2014, 01:14 AM

One vote for the Gretsch Mark Schulman signature. Just about to purchase one
Old 07-30-2014, 04:54 AM

I just posted a youtube video of 3 brass snares that I wanted to compare. The Ludwig Black Beauty, Pearl SensiTone Elite and Risen Drums Brass Snare. All 6 1/2x14. You guys should check it out. I'd like to hear your thoughts on them. It's also a good way for someone to check out 3 brass snares who might be thinking of purchasing one.

http://youtu.be/DzoMdaOPnZI
Old 07-30-2014, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel pena View Post
I just posted a youtube video of 3 brass snares that I wanted to compare. The Ludwig Black Beauty, Pearl SensiTone Elite and Risen Drums Brass Snare. All 6 1/2x14. You guys should check it out. I'd like to hear your thoughts on them. It's also a good way for someone to check out 3 brass snares who might be thinking of purchasing one.

http://youtu.be/DzoMdaOPnZI

Thank you for putting that together. It's extremely well done with pretty equal tunings, levels, and playing.

The video leaves me wondering. I hear a distinct difference between all three snares, and I don't think I should considering the nearly identical compositions of the three drums. The Ludwig sounds just like my Ludwig but the Perl and Risen both have these longer-lasting overtones which struck me as unpleasant... Like the aftertaste you perceive when drinking an unfamiliar brand of beer for the first time.

It's strange how bias works. I should have minimized the video the first time through and simply listened so I couldn't see which was which.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:06 AM

Hey y'all. Look at these bad mamajammas.
http://i.imgur.com/h5l2gvT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fOXUvn2.jpg

I have #1 of 45 made of each of these! Call me at 919-328-2475, if you want one

"For each edition a certain tree has been selected with the goal in mind to only use the most exciting parts of the grain and set them to perfectly set vertical grain patterns. Vertical outside veneer grains have been introduced through SONOR in 1973 and a the companies trademark ever since. All veneers are sourced at specialized suppliers in Germany, which guarantee that these trees come from environment friendly sources and are exported/ imported legally.

The instruments badges highlight laser cut mallet shaped logos, made out of the same veneer that is used on the snares itself. Due to the massive success with the actual Gavin Harrison Signature snare drums, SONOR chose to cooperate with HARDCASE UK again. Each One Of A Kind snare drum is delivered in a hard case, made to SONOR's specification."
Old 08-06-2014, 10:11 PM

Here is my most recent acquisition. This is a Canopus maple snare in a zebrawood finish. It is one of only 15 made. I picked it up at the Canopus store in Tokyo this summer. It's an amazing shop with really great people working there. The drum sounds fantastic and only cost 40,000 yen. They even threw in a case.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2014, 08:39 PM

Hi guys! Does anyone know who can make me a custom bronze shell? I'm after a certain thickness and size, possibly hammering (not sure yet), but I can't find a place to ask for it. :'(
Old 09-15-2014, 11:25 PM

I have a purple Pearl export Ex and I like it but I had to put a dampener on it because it rang a lot. Other than that, it's got great sound and looks amazing
Old 09-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Default Brady Stave 14 x 7 listen here

Rather than posting a picture I thought I should point you in the direction of this little video clip which features my Brady stave 14 x 7 tuned up pretty high. Lots of attack but with more body and not ringy like a metal drum. It's an old recording but you get the drift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_LLjPtWPug
Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 AM
v.zarate
This message has been deleted by v.zarate.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:39 AM

My personal favorite, and my main snare I might add is a 3/8" Thick x 5 1/2 X 15" DW Super solid snare.Every single person world wide that has played it wants it! And to date its one of two of the finest snares I have ever played and I have played almost everything! The other was a 5 1/2" X 14" Bronze Black Beauty Ludwig American Made! I am also looking into a 1/2" Thick X 5 1/2 X 14" DW Super Solid Edge Snare.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMeazell View Post
My personal favorite, and my main snare I might add is a 3/8" Thick x 5 1/2 X 15" DW Super solid snare.Every single person world wide that has played it wants it! And to date its one of two of the finest snares I have ever played and I have played almost everything! The other was a 5 1/2" X 14" Bronze Black Beauty Ludwig American Made! I am also looking into a 1/2" Thick X 5 1/2 X 14" DW Super Solid Edge Snare.
I played a Super Solid at a Manhattan Guitar Center. Man....I'm sold. Unfortunately, could pony up the $750 they wanted.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:47 PM

Here is one of my favourite snares, a Fibes 14x5 from the 70s.http://fandalism.com/tonicannelli/b5oU
Regards Toni Cannelli.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:11 PM

I don't know why steel gets such a bad rap. Some of my favorite snares have turned out to be the everyday generic chromed steel variety.

One of my absolute favorites has been the Pearl Chad Smith, because it has quality fittings, 10 lugs and a unique finish. Not to mention its very sensitive and articulate.

At the minute I'm using a Tama SWINGSTAR snare that I got for $20 at a jumble sale with a case included. I fitted some snare string instead of awful plastic straps and it's awesome.

I've had snares from every material and make, and I still keep coming back to just plain old steel.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 PM

I've just bought this new snare by Riccardo Lodi. Handmade in Italy. Anyone heard of these drums before?

http://www.liuteria3g.it/shells

Old 12-10-2014, 06:07 PM

DW 13x6 Maple Snare Drum, 10ply with 6 ply reinforcing hoops....wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK6kf-nD_Hg
Old 12-12-2014, 08:30 AM

Right now I have two "good" snares, and one slightly inferior backup, but still usable (14x6,5" Mapex MPX Hammered Steel). My two favorites at the moment (of course, since I own them :) ):

14x6" Tama Starphonic Bronze limited edition (only 60 made worldwide), made for Meinl's 60th anniversary, made by Meinl B10 bronze. Sounds really good for heavy metal and beyond, very loud but still controllable. Piercing, "gunshot"-type of sound. I originally wanted to find a Bell Brass snare, but couldn't justify the price difference. This one is really all I need for that type of sound.

14x6,5" Pearl Masters BCX in Lava Bubinga. All birch, Mastercast Hoops. Sounds really full and meaty, plenty of bite but more warmness to it than my Tama snare. Never been a big fan of birch snares before, I bought this mainly because of the price and hardware features, and it has really grown on me ever since. And what a fantastic looking finish. Almost makes me want to trade my big Sonor Essential Force kit for a smaller Masters BCX kit in the same finish... Maybe one day, even though I'm more of a fan of Pearl snares, than their kits.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 01:54 AM

go to snare is the bronze supraphonic,but the sound of copper,well im liking it more and more.its all i need for now,i guess....maybe.....who knows
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Sigh...if only this was true.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 07:46 PM
v.zarate
This message has been deleted by v.zarate.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

This is my workhorse (coated ambassador over hazy ambassador, stock brass wires, half a moongel)

Old 01-15-2015, 12:17 PM

DW 13x6 Collector's Snare Drum
10+6 ply
Standard maple shell

Just picked this up, and my mind was blown. It doesn't lose its body when tuned high, is extremely sensitive, and has a versatile tuning range. It can be tuned high without chocking the drum, but can also be tuned low for a nice rock sound. I am so glad that I got 6" depth. Perfect amount of body.

I've never owned a DW wooden snare, and was amazed at the build quality. It's just so well built and the mag throw off with the 3 position butt plate is also cool. In addition, they clear coat the inner shell which is really nice.

Last edited by SHAKEandBAKE; 01-23-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:12 AM

Hi
I'm a newby. Sorry about that. I have a Ludwig snare mid 60's with a serial # 85729. Looking at Ludwigs serial guide - I can't see where this fits in. Can anyone help. I would like to identify this snare as being an acrolite or supaphonic. I bought this from a school dept here in Maine in 1972. Used it with my Gretsch Aqua satin flame kit in Jazz Band. Please help me if you can.

Thanks man!
Old 02-27-2015, 06:43 PM

Hey folks, I've looked everywhere and still can't seem to find an answer. I have in my possession what I believe to be a Sonor D-444. The stamp on the inside leads me to believe it was made in 1968. Other than that I have no idea about this snare. I don't know what its made of or where I can get a new strainer for it. (The original was gone and replaced before I bought it.) I've since replaced the old mismatched slotted lugs for square heads, but I'd like to go back to a matching set of slotted. I can't find that this snare was ever made of brass, but a magnet won't stick to the shell. Help?

(Sorry, having trouble figuring out how to upload pictures.)
Old 02-27-2015, 06:59 PM

Default Re: What is your favorite type of snare drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
pearl maple free floating sanre with 42 strand snare wire.

Just curious. How do you like the "Free floating" and what does this exactly mean?
Old 03-11-2015, 08:04 PM

Default Re: What is your favorite type of snare drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by church drummer View Post
Just curious. How do you like the "Free floating" and what does this exactly mean?
Here is mine. This is a 14x8 stave shell in a free floating chassis for a 14x6.5 snare.

Free floating means that no hardware is attached to the shell. If you remove the batter head, the whole shell comes out. The neat thing, with a snare like this, you can swap between different shells and different shell depths provided you have the correct length tension rods.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:37 AM
Gold Member

Love Craigslist!

Corder chrome over wood shell 14 inch x 5 inch

Picked this up off of Craigslist for $125 bucks.
Needs a shine,but sounds solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdEK...ature=youtu.be

Gretsch New Classic $65 bucks Craigslist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd5NJAULMTw

DW Craviotto $200 bucks Guitar showcase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvS3eFu7Zw4

DW 10/6 $200 bucks Craigslist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH4xVwJwz2c

Last edited by pgm554; 03-24-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:54 PM

What do you drummers think about whether the original snares are an actual part of a vintage drum or not? Would you change the original snares of a vintage snare drum to modern snares?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:28 PM

PDP Limited Edition 7.5" Chinese built snare with DW hardware and throw, copper snares:

Last edited by DW-Doug; 04-27-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
Sigh...if only this was true.
I don't think she has the correct finger up!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

My current goto big gig snare a brass (solid shell) 14x6 made by Greg Keplinger. Heavy weight, very musical snare. A very simple design, no frills no gadgets but a ton of sound.

Last edited by Captain Bash; 03-20-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Adjustable But Side.

Hi I picked up a snare and not only can you adjust the throw side but the but side also has an adjustable thumb screw? All my years of playing I never saw this? What would be the advantage / purpose of this feature. Even tension on both sides of snare wires, or better sensitivity?
Old 05-21-2015, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

Ludwig Black Magic 14x8 came in yesterday. Just now put a evans black hydraulic head on today, sound is amazing.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2015, 01:46 PM

My 1 year old metro stave snare is 14 x 6.5" made in Queensland
Its got the power , but also the sensitivity !!
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2015, 04:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
A mess of people here love the Ludwig Acrolite (mostly 'cuz of its cost), but being a Tama fanboy I opted for the Starphonic Aluminum. This thing has blown my mind with its punch and crispiness. Even the guitarist I play with (a Berklee grad) noticed its fat punch and clarity when he heard it for the fist time. Mostly, I appreciate the hardware for faster snare head tuning, head changes, and the ratchet style tension strainer.
Glad this thread was revived. This is the first time I've seen the Tama Starphonic Aluminum snare, and I am impressed. I love the looks of the lugs and the hoops, especially. My accolades are about a year late, but thanks for posting pics of the Starphonic.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 07-13-2015, 02:52 AM
Platinum Member

1960 Super 400 COB, Copperphonic Custom, 80's Hammered Bronze, 1959 Trans Badge Super 400 COB. 20's Solid Mahogany Super. just need a BB.

Last edited by paradiddle pete; 09-13-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle pete View Post
1960 Super 400 COB, Copperphonic Custom, 80's Hammered Bronze, 1959 Trans Badge Super 400 COB. 20's Solid Mahogany Super. just need a BB.

Hey, you're not playing fair!

Old 09-05-2015, 03:24 PM

Anyone have much experience with walnut or walnut hybrid snare drums?
I'm looking for that woody Levon Helm sound you hear on those early records he made with The Band.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris J View Post
Anyone have much experience with walnut or walnut hybrid snare drums?
I'm looking for that woody Levon Helm sound you hear on those early records he made with The Band.
My main snare is a Mapex Saturn walnut/maple/walnut 6.5x14"
I find this drum to be very woody and dry(ish). Not being sure of the exact sound you are looking for, I would recommend getting out to your lds and smak a few. I will say that my Saturn snare is fantastic!
Old 09-07-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlygates View Post
My main snare is a Mapex Saturn walnut/maple/walnut 6.5x14"
I find this drum to be very woody and dry(ish). Not being sure of the exact sound you are looking for, I would recommend getting out to your lds and smak a few. I will say that my Saturn snare is fantastic!
Hey thanks.
I actually tried a Used Saturn snare in a local drum store last Friday. I agree, it has a dry, woody tone, fantastic!
That one was 5" x 14", and it sounded fantastic, and it made me wonder how it would compare to a pure walnut snare like the Mapex Retrosonic.
Really it comes down to:
Is the walnut/maple/walnut what I am looking for, or would I prefer a pure walnut Mapex, is pure walnut too much of a good thing......?
Thanks for the advice, like you said, I have to get out there and play a few more. I found one store 1-1/2 hours away that has a pure walnut Mapex, the Retrosonic.
When I get a spare weekend I'll have to get out there and try it.

Last edited by chris J; 09-23-2015 at 01:08 PM.