drum covers lol

I know this might not be the right category but i really would like some answers so this seemed logical

ok so when im drumming to a drumless track on my ipod i sound great, but when i try to link the song with the video on my editing stuff i sound terribly off beat and no matter how i adjust the soundtrack under the video it never gets on beat?

anybody know whats going on? i cant figure it out lol
i know how to edit video so thats not the problem lol
got any better techniques of fliming a drum cover?

You could try adding a click track or an external metronome... Drumless tracks can be great but metronomes ofter help us reel ourselves in a bit.

I've heard that some ipods play songs slower than other devices. Not by much, but enough cause problems.

What program are you recording with?

Interesting what you're saying about the iPod there. I'll have to investigate my own.

It may be that you are actually not playing as well as you think because 1. You can't actually hear your playing well over the loud music and through your headphones and 2. You're a little disoriented by the loud volumes and the emotion of playing.

Some drummers get away with it but in my brief recording experience I need to hear my drums in the mix (through headphones) and I don't like having to deal with too much volume in any form, my playing suffers.

I would check out the speed of your iPod playback, look at some proper isolation headphones and focus on your drumming a bit more, your gear might be fine, you might just be deluding yourself a little.

Lolololololololololololololol

Maybe you need an external metronome. Sometimes what we think is on-time playing isn't actually on-time at all and we need an objective measurement. This is why recording yourself can be one of the quickest ways of improving.

What I've always done for the (few) drum covers I've posted (save for my earlier ones) is import the song I'm covering into Cubase (or any recording software), place the song about a good 30 seconds ahead of 0, and then start recording at zero. This gives me time to get back to my drum set.

I press the record button on the computer and video camera simultaneously. Then when I am finished I hit the record off button on the camera, stop recording on the computer, and mix the tracks down from zero on Cubase.

That way the tracks start at zero, and if the camera lags at all I can adjust it as it's just a few milliseconds.

Back