Need advice on new heads - please help

Re: Need advice on new heads!!! Please Help!!!

I don't think there's anything truly wrong with putting a clear head on a snare, though it is uncommon. Most players use a coated head because it mellows out a few higher frequencies and gives a rough surface in case you're into playing with brushes.

Without knowing anything about your drum, your playing style, or the kinds of places you play your drums I'd suggest just keeping the clear Emperor until you're in need of a new head. It should suit you fine, and you can use the lifespan of this head to do some research into what type of head you might want to try next time.

A SNARE SIDE hazy Ambassador is pretty much the world standard for a bottom snare head, though that IS NOT the same as an Ambassador batter head.

There is nothing wrong with a clear head as a snare batter. If that is the sound that you like then use it.
Use any manufacturers head that is labeled as a "Snare Bottom". These heads are thin so that the snare wires will react easily when the drum is struck.

There is nothing wrong with a clear head as a snare batter. If that is the sound that you like then use it.
Use any manufacturers head that is labeled as a "Snare Bottom". These heads are thin so that the snare wires will react easily when the drum is struck.

Just to clarify- do you mean as a batter head or redo head? I agree about the reso head, but I'd recommend something thicker on the top. Clear heads are fine by me, I use one regularly.

Just to clarify- do you mean as a batter head or redo head? I agree about the reso head, but I'd recommend something thicker on the top. Clear heads are fine by me, I use one regularly.
riquediz question asks what resonate head he should buy for his snare. He has already bought the clear batter head. I was answering his bottom head question. :)

Although I thought I read about someone who put a blackdot head for his snare side head and it sounded fine ;)

Sorry to add to the confusion - just stick with any "snare side" labeled head and you'll be fine.

Yes, an Emperor is a good drum head. I use them on my toms. It really depends what you are looking for in your snare sound, being that you are new, you probably can start with that. There are plenty of drummers that like an Emperor snare batter. An Emperor is a doubly ply head, whereas Ambassadors are single ply. You can even consider an Ambassador X which is just as thick as an Emperor, but still a single ply head. Many drummers like the Controlled Sound heads (Black Dots) on their snare.

I've always used a coated Ambassador myself. They might wear out a little quicker, but I like the sound they give at high tuning. Lately though I've tried an Evans HD dry on my Gretsch snare, my Pork Pie BoB snare has an Aquarian Reverse dot Texture Coated batter, and my Acrolite has an Evans G1 Power Center Reverse Dot batter on it. I'm really liking that one.

It is your journey, man. A coated Emperor batter is as good a place to start as any. Go for it. Why not?

Hold on, i wanna play songs from Nirvana, AC/DC, Soundgarden, etc. So should i buy a single ply or a double ply? I read an article and it said the most commonly used drumhead is the single ply. What do you think?

My snare: Yamaha Stage Custom Standard 14" Snare

Phil Rudd (AC/DC) http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvArt...0094&sid=23a3fed1-be31-40f4-ac94-d96e808259df

Dave Grohl http://www.livenirvana.com/equipment/dave.php

Matt Cameron http://www.nowinvisibly.com/mcfp/mattdrum.html

I did your homework for you. Now it's for you to decide.

Back