Tre' Cool

Re: Tre' Cool?

i listen to mozart too. it's good to listen to classical music IMO, lets you hear very unique rhythms, melodies, time sigs etc...plus mozart was a genius...but anyway, i think Tre Cool is a solid drummer...i use to like greenday like 10 years ago, but not now..i think they sound the same they did 10 years ago..no real progression..taht's the only thing that pisses me off about them, they could be super good by now, but they don't evolve or expand really...but oh well, tre is a good drummer, that's all i can say about him really.

Slayer_metal_head said:
is his name really Tré cool he may be a good drummer but i can play every song on the american idiot album (i gave up pop and green day when i heard slayer) but some of the fills are pretty cool and i admire the drumming on hte song novacaine when the heavier part of the song comes on i still cant figure out what hes playing but whateva i dont mind Tré except his name i dont evan have to tell you why "Tré Cool" is getting bashed

If you want speed listen to slayer i used to green day is fast before i heard slayer and i discobered BLAST BEATS theyre insane gotta try em

Thanks and NO THANKS.

I think its a misplaced conception prevalent amongst youngsters to judge a drummer by whether you can pick up his licks/groove or not.
Ever wondered why best of breed drummers keep on repeating the same sentence AGAIN AND AGAIN that they are "trying to find deeper pockets" ??
You, myself, Bernhard, and the other members of this forum will play the same slam home 4/4 beat (1 and 3 on bass and 2 and 4 on snare) in the same tempo in the same drum .. but will sound different ........

why ??? go figure lad ;) ....

i think his name is something something the third, so i can see why he changed it. tre cool has been playing drums for so long that he can't be bad, he just chooses not to show off and ruin a song by over drumming. i like to assume that every drummer you hear on cd can play whatever you hear very easily, and can play much better.

ewanlaing said:
i think his name is something something the third, so i can see why he changed it. tre cool has been playing drums for so long that he can't be bad, he just chooses not to show off and ruin a song by over drumming. i like to assume that every drummer you hear on cd can play whatever you hear very easily, and can play much better.
Frank Edwin Wright lll so that's why he changed it....

Jaymasta said:
Frank Edwin Wright lll so that's why he changed it....

I'd keep the initial name for the irony stakes. And yes, 1 and 3 on bass, 2 and 4 on snare is THE way to go. Honestly, Tré (very) Cool... how could it be your real name? Unless you had some pretty progressive parents.

yeah i also find it hard to believe that someone who has been playing for so long is not good. He must be somewhat better than what he puts out on the cds but hell we will never know unless a bootlegger at one of their shows catches him doing a drum solo. Someone earlier said that Greenday still is the same but I can tell you one thing that is different about the band, they add guitar solos in ther songs lol.

yeah, i think that guitarist dude who plays with them all the time now should become a member. one of the best things about tre cool, he know how to have fun.

Wegadrummer said:
yeah... a good example is the drummer for Him too.. he is not so good, but since the band are popular,he is sponsored..

again what do you mean 'he is not so good'? what are you better?
fact is he plays what suits the music, he plays in time, he is hired and kept on by a professional successful international band so he must be doing something right, also to those that find his playing too 'simplistic' well bear in mind - Valo writes all aspects of the songs and lyrics and may even be writing the drum parts as from what i understand he plays drums himself and is a competent rock drummer (listen to the Daniel Lioneye album 'The King of Rock n' Roll'). Valo may want nothing more than backbeats and the occasional fill. Fact is i really enjoy his drumming - though i would only throw in some stewart copeland/john bonham/travis barker 'clever' fills - stuff that fits 'backbeat' groove music but with just a little more flair. However i love HiM so a bias is there.
but as nutha_jason pointed out

Does Gas Lipstick (HiM drummer) stay in time? do his drum parts suit the songs (i find it as a say a bit siplistic but then the songs are the perfection of the art of simple but pwerful sounding songs)? is he competent/consisent live (i can personally confirm that)?

Is anybody else getting tired of pop/punk, punk, unkpae, or whatever you might want to call it? It seems like that's all you hear on the radio these days, and it's all the same.

well emotional punk is in.

look, i've read this whole thread and i must say that some folks here do need to consider a wise old saying:

better to be quiet and let the world think you are a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

Tre cool is a very big part of greenday's sound and a clever drummer at that. there is a type of narrow minded generic snobbery on these types of threads. unless a drummer plays highly progressive jazz or rock (and in so doing prooves he has enormously varied chops) he cannot really be a great drummer. I don't care what anyone says, i know that, for example Phill Rudd is a great drummer. and he plays far more simpler stuff than tre. the fact is you need to look elsewhere on the scorecard and not just under 'can play very fast double bass' or 'can play very odd timesignatures' etc.

tre has some clever ideas.
take american idiot which my band plays. i had to study that song.
look at the drop out to bass drum pulse only parts at the end of each singing line in the verse ... 'don't wanna be an american idiot (dub! dub! dub! dub!). nice open space and contrasts well with the guitar and punk crash explosion that comes between. nodes and internodes. most drummers would have kept this successful formula throughout the verses in hte song.
but tre colours it a bit with an exciting and simple addition in the last two nodes of the second verse. he drops in a great backbeat snare and also adds in a ride on the floor tom. the contrast is still there but now there is an element of excitement and of course the song is more interesting. in terms of drumming this little alteration for me is the hook in the piece. this is great drumming. you only have to look for it.

j

He really is a GREAT drummer he's been playing since he was 9 or 10 I think and he's 32. He was in his first band when he was 12 called The Lookouts He went to clown college and just look at him when he plays that's why some people wonder why he's crazy.

Well he isn't a bad drummer, but sure isn't a great drummer. I don't know how he can be named best drummer of the year.. maybe it was because Green Day was so popular, I don't know.

NUTHA JASON said:
well emotional punk is in.

look, i've read this whole thread and i must say that some folks here do need to consider a wise old saying:

better to be quiet and let the world think you are a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

Tre cool is a very big part of greenday's sound and a clever drummer at that. there is a type of narrow minded generic snobbery on these types of threads. unless a drummer plays highly progressive jazz or rock (and in so doing prooves he has enormously varied chops) he cannot really be a great drummer. I don't care what anyone says, i know that, for example Phill Rudd is a great drummer. and he plays far more simpler stuff than tre. the fact is you need to look elsewhere on the scorecard and not just under 'can play very fast double bass' or 'can play very odd timesignatures' etc.

j

I definately agree. I think when a drummer starts to try to add too much "junk", he just messes the song up. Don't overdrum just to try to impress people you don't know. The trick is to fit the drumming to the style of the song / band. I also rate Charlie Watts along with Phil Rudd as classic drummers that keep it simple, they have perfect rythym and timing and are creative without becomming egocentric. "Satisfaction" is an easy one to use as an example: Basic beat throughout, but anything else would have made the song ordinary.
Tre' fits Greenday perfectly. He's not a Jazz drummer and he doesn't try to be, although he probably could be if he wanted to. I don't know the guy, don't know what he practices by himself. I doubt anyone else in this forum, who are bashing him, would know either!! Sounds like sour grapes to me....

Very true. I shall relate an example:

I had the opportunity of attending a "Battle Of The Bands". The location and time is not important. What is important is the fact that a band of kids had been friends since Junior High and most of them had played instruments during that time as well. The only difference was their drummer had only played drums for several weeks before the big performance.

His repertoire only consisted of hitting the snare and floor tom on every 2 and 4 count of the measure. The bass drum occupied the 1 and 3 counts and every now and then he would include a cymbal crash. His drum set alone only consisted of a snare, bass drum, floor tom, high hat, and crash cymbal (not even a ride cymbal).

The ending result was phenomenal; while some of the other drummers backstage gave a snicker for the "noob" and his "boom...bop...boom...bop" style of playing, the band sounded remarkably well-practiced as though each of them had played together for years. Personally, I was impressed because it proved that it doesn't take years of rudimental practice and procedure to do your job as a drummer. All you need to do is be a "creative metronome" that doesn't lose the time. Simplicity, I've learned, is sometimes what the audience wants more than complexity.

Also, if there was one thing that was nice, it was the fact that this kid had the luxury of moving his drum set onto the stage in one trip within ten seconds. Sometimes, complexity and simplicity doesn't just apply to the music alone...

well let me clear something up i can play all the songs but i had to practise them alot i agree he is a better drummer then me, but he is nothing special, and the only thing i dont like about him is name tré cool. if i changed my name to that i would smack myself 8 times then shove my head in a meat grinder. i do still listen to other types of music but i said i have up POP ROCK, i still listen to classic rock and some punk and a little jazz, but all that screaming kinda gets to you sometimes.

(sic) said:
he doesn't deserve too much attention.
he should concentrate on improving his "skill" than making faces for the camera.

No Sir

He has not "to improve his skills" - he's the perfect drummer for the perfect band for many, many years..... and making faces for the camera is exactly what's needed.

To all other bashers in their practice-rooms: yes improve your skills, so perhabs you get in the reach of a camera too...but only perhabs....

Bernhard

i think hes got a really cool name. cool is his last name. tre cool. did he change his name?

I consider myself a "good" drummer, in the loosest sense of the word, and I like to acquaint myself with all types of music. It's always good to have an open mind towards other genres, which include punk. While punk might not be my favorite style to play, it has its moments for me, and for the most part, it just feels good! It might not require the chops you hear in jazz fusion and progressive rock, but it still requires a certain amount of skill, eg. being able to play simple beats at high bpm, having good hi-hat foot skills, being able to NOT OVERPLAY, which for me, is a big problem in the drum world right now. But that's another story. There's a time and a place for heavy chops and technicality, but in certain genres, like punk, its not called for. Enter Tre Cool. I'm fairly sure he's a good drummer by any means, but whats important here is that he's playing what he likes in the music he likes. I'm sure he has chops and technique that would surprise most of us if we were to see them all. After all, he's been drumming for Green Day for almost 15 years... you have to have a certain high level of skill to show for after drumming professionally for that long.

Summary: Tre is good!

Back