NEW VIDEO - Sabian Sound Kit - Part 1

No USB cables or XLR cables? didn't show the USB connector, Is it in fact USB?

No stands either, which I guess I could have predicted. A little bit annoying to have to add $100 if you don't have an investment in that type of equipment already. I do quite like the "send track to recorder" toggle as well as the headphone ports. Interested to see the onboard interface as well.

No stands either, which I guess I could have predicted. A little bit annoying to have to add $100 if you don't have an investment in that type of equipment already. I do quite like the "send track to recorder" toggle as well as the headphone ports. Interested to see the onboard interface as well.

Yes, no cables or stands included (this would drive up the shipping and overall cost too much). It makes more sense to source these items locally. SNEAK PEAK: The GUI is pretty spartan...

I have scoured the net and the available info for something that has been out for a while there is no on line manual or tech sheet. Not even on Sabian .com

I'm assuming the SD card can be removed from the mixer & inserted into the SD slot on your computer - Lance?

Probably right.. I know Lance [in the video] didn't know what the Send to Master Recording knob was just yet, but with the playback buttons, etc under the LCD I'm guessing you can record [what the mics pick up] your playing to the SD card.

Probably right.. I know Lance [in the video] didn't know what the Send to Master Recording knob was just yet, but with the playback buttons, etc under the LCD I'm guessing you can record [what the mics pick up] your playing to the SD card.

I will be detailing all this in the next video.

To answer some of the questions below...

It does not have a usb interface, it records on a sd drive. I would assume a usb interface is more intensive.

The SD recording is really easy. One button to start/stop and create a new track. It is mp3, so it's not 100% raw. There might be a setting for it. Keep in mind this is really not meant for pros. It's designed as a monitor and for practice.

In my opinion, recordings are good enough to listen back for those reasons. Here is me playing the final countdown yesterday. For fun, I pumped up the bass and played with the levels. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghw9d3xkc4xci9n/final-countdown.mp3?dl=0

Since there are two overheads for everything except the bass, there isn't a ton of flexibility.

Xlr or stands are not included but I found a bundle that did include everything. SD card is not include (I had one lying around) but it should be. Easy to buy one. I have a Mac, so I can just unplug from device and pop in my laptop for a super quick transfer. Faster then usb. The fact that it's MP3 allows me to just pop the audio on Dropbox or the like and not have go convert it first. Majority of time, you just want to listen. That is why they designed it as such.

The point is, that it's portable and simple. I've brought this to practice sessions elsewhere and it's fast to setup. Really fast.

I really like hearing myself now and not having to spent 1k to do so.

It is mp3, so it's not 100% raw. There might be a setting for it. Keep in mind this is really not meant for pros. It's designed as a monitor and for practice.
Ah, ok, thanks for this. If it's aimed at monitor / practice, then fair enough, but it's well short in recording terms, even against budget audio recorders. I can't imagine there would be any significant cost implication of going WAV / AIFF, but substantial sonic benefits.

A bracket to fix to the hi hat stand would be nice. This however still does not provide a place for the MP3 player. Phone for instance.

Ah, a little disappointing then. I was hoping for something one could use with a DAW, but it sounds like you can't even play with the stem tracks? This makes it much more of a competitor with Zoom or similar handy recorders I suppose.

I know this is an old thread, but I do have a question about the Sabian Sound Kit. If you were to use this inside of a cage/drum room and run through a sound board, would this hold up for playing in a church sanctuary?

The real question is why would you when you can get a perfectly adequate small mixing desk for a lot less money?

Because I'm not footing the bill, and talking music with some in our church is like talking music with a brick wall lol.

Back