Bass drum thing

BlakeS

A while ago my drum teacher gave me this strip of material (felt i think) that he said can be used on the bass drum which can give it more volume, i can't remember what this thing is called or anything but its just a cheap piece of material. The thing is i forgot which side of the head to place it on haha, if anyone knows how to use it could you help me out? thanks :)

I'm not sure about the volume, but felt strips are generally used to help muffle a bass drum head i.e. you could make and emperor sound more like a PS3 or SK2 head. What you would do is cut a strip about 2-2 1/2" wide and about an 2" longer (or more, you can always trim off the extra) than the diameter of you bass drum. Place it on the bearing edge of you bass drum and then place the head on top of it and kind of stretch the material a little so it's actually contacting the back of the head while you out the hoop on and tune it. This can be done on the batter and reso sides.

Check the vid below. At ~4 seconds, if you look at the reso head you'll see a thick white line running down the diameter and off-center of the bass drum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMqHqADnREY

I use one on both heads of my bass drum on this particular kit as seen in the picture.

DSC_0333.jpg

Dennis

I'm not sure about the volume, but felt strips are generally used to help muffle a bass drum head i.e. you could make and emperor sound more like a PS3 or SK2 head. What you would do is cut a strip about 2-2 1/2" wide and about an 2" longer (or more, you can always trim off the extra) than the diameter of you bass drum. Place it on the bearing edge of you bass drum and then place the head on top of it and kind of stretch the material a little so it's actually contacting the back of the head while you out the hoop on and tune it. This can be done on the batter and reso sides.

Check the vid below. At ~4 seconds, if you look at the reso head you'll see a thick white line running down the diameter and off-center of the bass drum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMqHqADnREY

Ah i see thanks, was very helpful :) I will probably use it soon.

I use one on both heads of my bass drum on this particular kit as seen in the picture.

DSC_0333.jpg

Dennis

That looks like such a nice kit ;O what different effects do you get from muffling the back on its own, the front on its own and both together?

Back